Gransnet forums

AIBU

Walking alone.

(88 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Sun 15-Sep-19 11:55:19

This morning, before breakfast , a young girl was raped in our local park by a gang of men. This is quite unusual for the area but it makes me nervous about walking alone. My friend does her steps every day even in the dark evenings but I only go now when the park is busy.

M0nica Tue 01-Oct-19 17:51:24

Alexa. Women in enemy coutries were raped as part of the weapons of war.

But do not delude yourself. Many women in Britain were raped by allied and British soldiers, not systematically, but at a rate comparable to that already happening in the country

It is easy to underestimate the incidence of rape in allied countries because of the opprobrium, blame and shame women suffered if they reported rape. Then, as now, but more so rape went unreported.

Gonegirl Tue 01-Oct-19 19:22:35

So, do you all go everywhere in your cars? Hopefully public transport might be involved.

Gonegirl Tue 01-Oct-19 19:23:39

Do you go on little local walks at all?

M0nica Tue 01-Oct-19 19:29:26

I walk everywhere in and around the village but otherwise use my car locally. Unfortunately I can be travel sick in buses.

However I have become very adept at not going out for one purpose only if I can avoid it.

When we went to a local town, we do not go to much, last week to hire a van to carry our stock to an antiques fair, I drove DH there and then shopped in the local supermarket there rather than my usual one elsewhere and delivered some goods to a charity shop and then dropped some rubbish off at the tip.

M0nica Tue 01-Oct-19 19:30:08

I might add, I alsouse trains whenever I can. I do enjoy train trips, even short ones.

LondonGranny Wed 02-Oct-19 09:58:08

It doesn't help that 'lads mags' use the language that they do...article on a study done by Middlesex University.

www.theguardian.com/media/the-womens-blog-with-jane-martinson/2011/dec/09/lad-mags-rapists-study

Anja Wed 02-Oct-19 10:30:39

We should be able to walk where we want safely, but this is nothing new. Going back centuries whole villages were attacked.

Just have to use common sense and hope for the best ?

LondonGranny Wed 02-Oct-19 10:44:19

I've been hoping for the best for decades and it hasn't got better. Now I'm just furious.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Oct-19 10:50:28

I walk a huge amount on my own with dog.

It never occurs to me that I am in danger of a violent act.

In fact I day dream and enjoy the outdoors to the extent that I really am not aware of what is going on around me. Although saying that there never is much going on up on the Downs except the odd cyclist or walker.

Perhaps I should be more aware.

But it would spoil my blissful enjoyment.
So I think I will carry on as I am

Daisymae Wed 02-Oct-19 10:51:54

While there was not mass rape during the war in the UK it did happen. Some GIs were executed as it was a capital offence. The vast majority of offences were probably not reported. Crime was high during the war years.

Daisymae Wed 02-Oct-19 10:53:01

Yes, carry on as you are. I walk every day, one of my main pleasures. In fact I am off now!

Alexa Thu 03-Oct-19 11:07:51

Monica, I confess I have not looked at any reliable sources. I am only going on impressions. The soldiers I remember were Polish and I think I can say truly that there was a lot of mutual respect and friendship which was apparent even to a little girl.