Gransnet forums

AIBU

Greta Thunberg, Amazing or not.?

(323 Posts)
Bridgeit Tue 24-Sep-19 20:42:20

I think she is, she is so passionate , knowledgeable & informed.
If this isn’t shown or taught in all schools yet , let’s hope that it will be
She is certainly an inspiring example for & to us all.
Well done young lady .

Apricity Tue 24-Sep-19 22:42:52

A 16 year old girl addresses the UN with a passionate and informed speech about the most important global issue ever faced by mankind. She captures the world's attention and all some of you can say is she's 'a bit of a weirdo.'

Listen to the message. It is your grandchildren's future she is talking about. All our precious grandchildren will be dealing with the catastrophic consequences of climate change and all you can do is bury your heads in the sand. Criticising the messenger and ignoring and denying the science will not make it go away. A fact does not cease to be a fact just because you don't agree with it or don't want to think about it.

Gonegirl Tue 24-Sep-19 22:44:10

What do you think it means?! We have a good educational system. Everyone has a chance to get on. Why should your grandchildren be any different.

dragonfly46 Tue 24-Sep-19 22:44:15

I am pleased others think as I do. I do not think she is amazing but worry she is bordering on hysteria.

gillybob Tue 24-Sep-19 22:44:29

Exactly Miss A I would hate my DGC to follow her example. They are normal children, who have normal children’s lives. Thank goodness . And moreover ....they smile and laugh.

Gonegirl Tue 24-Sep-19 22:44:29

that to gillybob

EllanVannin Tue 24-Sep-19 22:46:22

There's more greenhouse gas emanating from the mouths of all these climate protestors.
The mess the lot of them leave behind in empty water bottles etc would cover a football pitch.

Rebellious Tue 24-Sep-19 22:47:26

As long as out DGC are smiling and laughing the planet will be fine. Someone needs to go tickle Greta immediately

EllanVannin Tue 24-Sep-19 22:48:22

I'm glad someone else sees that too Dragonfly. It's called intelligent observation.

merlotgran Tue 24-Sep-19 22:49:21

I think there's a good deal of preaching to the converted on these Greta Thunberg threads. We are doing our bit - as much as we can so it gets on my nerves when I'm accused of sticking my fingers in my ears just because I have concerns about the way GT is being exploited.

My two eldest granddaughters (20 and 18) are intelligent, well educated girls and think GT is great for the way she is motivating young people but they have also raised concerns about her mental health.

Much younger children don't need scaring by talk of having their childhoods stolen and hearing abuse hurled at adults (their parents) They need to enjoy their growing up by learning what's important for the good of the world around them.

Gonegirl Tue 24-Sep-19 22:50:22

smiling and laughing

Have you ever met a fourteen year old boy? grin

gillybob Tue 24-Sep-19 22:52:01

So.....

You never know gillybob. If they work hard at school and do well, they might well go up in the world. Everybody has a chance

Fingers crossed

Really means

We have a good educational system. Everyone has a chance to get on. Why should your grandchildren be any different

In the context of this discussion I am very confused gonegirl . Was it meant to be sarcastic ? Or are you saying that GT has some kind of huge intelligence that my DGC could only dream of?

HettyMaud Tue 24-Sep-19 22:53:41

Bridgeit.. you are so right. It's not only about our children but our descendants for hundreds of years in the future. Why can't people see we have to act NOW and if it takes a 16-year-old to stand up and say so then we should all applaud her.

gillybob Tue 24-Sep-19 22:54:20

I am not a CCP . I am not a hypocrite though.

Incidentally gonegirl was it your GS who flew to America for a jamboree after his CC protesting? Please tell me if I am wrong and I will apologise.

Gonegirl Tue 24-Sep-19 22:54:44

We can't do it merlot. Only governments can make them speed up the banning petrol and diesel cars.

A huge number of the population go out and about with a petrol/diesel fume polluting metal box wrapped round themselves. Just one at time. That can't go on. And people do love their cars.

gillybob Tue 24-Sep-19 22:58:00

Blimey ... I am going to ring my DGC in the morning to tell them we are all doomed . The end of the world is nigh. Forget working hard at school, in fact don’t even bother going, just skip it, stop playing footy, dancing, singing and everything else. Stop smiling and laughing . Put your hair in pigtails (that to the girls only) and frown.

Bridgeit Tue 24-Sep-19 22:58:02

Thanks HettyMaud,

Gonegirl Tue 24-Sep-19 22:58:42

Yes. He did. It was the World Scouting Jamboree. It was booked and paid for long before we ever heard of extinction rebellion. We made him go. He now swears he will never go in a plane again. Obviously that's never going to work, but I think he will limit his future air travel.

And I am hugely proud of him. Both for his Scouting and his XR beliefs.

gillybob Tue 24-Sep-19 22:59:06

So we ban petrol and diesel cars, vans, lorries tomorrow. What then?

Gonegirl Tue 24-Sep-19 23:01:14

I am glad your grandchildren enjoy their footie. smile

gillybob Tue 24-Sep-19 23:01:52

So his CF is how much bigger than my 3 DGC put together ? You know the ones you condemn? You made him go ? What a joke ! Did you drag him onto the plane kicking and screaming against his will ?

I’m sorry GG but for me your argument is no better than the other environmental hypocrites .

Bridgeit Tue 24-Sep-19 23:02:01

Gillybob, why do you feel the need to take the Pee out of a thread that is supposed to be a serious topic.
AIBU to expect you to take your pee taking to a topic that will suit your level of input .

M0nica Tue 24-Sep-19 23:02:02

GT is all impassioned speeches and emotive words, but neither she nor the organisations she represents have put forward one single practical idea about how to achieve the result they desire.

There are very few of us whose concern about global warming does not date back to years before GT was born. and while governments have not made enough progress or pushed forward with enough energy they have done a lot.

To hear GT saying that governments have done nothing - and she has said that- leaves me profoundly unimpressed, She has a large organistaion behind her, not one of them has put forward anything.

Another poster on another thread said she had searched everywhere to try and find out what measures the ER movement has for reaching their objectives and she could find nothing.

GT is a remarkable child, but like so many teenagers she is all strong emotions and feelings, but unfortunately not well informed.

Gonegirl Tue 24-Sep-19 23:02:45

I think the year quoted by government is 2040. Other countries are managing it sooner.

XR want that brought forward.

Gonegirl Tue 24-Sep-19 23:03:34

"Input"?

gillybob Tue 24-Sep-19 23:03:43

Yes they love their sport but They don’t fly gonegirl you know that evil thing that the XR hate .