Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect Lidl to replace my torn plastic bag?

(103 Posts)
Greenfinch Sat 28-Sep-19 14:58:49

Like other supermarkets,Lidl's bags say that they will be replaced when broken but when I handed my old one over the assistant said they only do this for ones that break in the shop or the carpark and that anyway mine was far too old !I was astounded so rang their customer service and was told that this was indeed the case.Strange !Has anyone else been more successful ?

Yearoff Sun 29-Sep-19 09:29:33

Why the OP bashing? It’s the principle. Bag for life is that. How many actually get replaced? Probably very few. Bad customer loyalty from Lidl.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 29-Sep-19 09:31:48

Trade description act comes to mind grin

Stoker48 Sun 29-Sep-19 09:31:49

Maggiemaybe, the draw string bags from Lidl are great for separating pairs of shoes.
smile

mokryna Sun 29-Sep-19 09:35:24

Not in the UK but I suppose the shop has its name on the bag, therefore free advertising to a point for them.

Marmight Sun 29-Sep-19 09:38:47

Morrison’s are introducing the old style string bag over the next few months. £1. The cheapest I’ve found is over £5. I keep the bath toys in one ?

harrigran Sun 29-Sep-19 09:44:09

I don't think I have ever had a bag for life replaced but am always buying new ones. DH seems to mislay them, I think he leaves the empty ones in the trolley when he returns it to the bay.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 29-Sep-19 09:48:16

It is the principle, not the 10p which is at the heart of this matter. I prefer to use my own cloth bags first and resort to others if there's an overflow.
Customer relations are important and for the sake of a measly 10p Lidl could have obliged.

Paperbackwriter Sun 29-Sep-19 10:07:11

Some good sturdy canvas bags will last a long longer and honestly, for shopping, nobody needs plastic bags any more. After all, most of us have been around long enough to remember when it wasn't the shop's job to provide (or even sell you) a shopping bag! I find those tiny roll-up cloth ones that fit in a handbag are pretty useful too.

mernice Sun 29-Sep-19 10:08:49

Another of those threads where the....’if you have nothing kind or useful to say keep quiet’ rule would be appropriate I think.

driverann Sun 29-Sep-19 10:19:32

Oh dear try buying one less bottle of wine. It’s a shopping bag!!! Tell me one thing that does not wear out? My sister in law is well off financially she has an income of £4000 per month from a family trust fund. Yet when she goes to the VUE cinema she buys the cheapest tickets and waits to see who else is there to watch the film before he moves to the most expensive seats that are vacant. She also goes to Marks and Spencer’s at 7:30 pm to buy the reduced food.She buys clothes online to wear once then sends them back for a refund.

Nannan2 Sun 29-Sep-19 10:20:37

Its cheapskate (the word,i mean,not the asking about bag.)Every right to ask,as yes they all used to advertise em as 'bag for life',and if youve taken one with you,not knowing its broken or holey,till youre about to use it,yes why wouldnt you ask! Stop berating greenfinch! I did ask in sainsburys,just as a matter of interest,( i WAS buying a couple at the time) as i mentioned i dont suppose they'll be replacing them now that they are charging? But they said they were. However i think they've all now gone 'bag free' so i guess we're lucky if any shops still supplying them at all now sadAm annoyed Boots have started using paper bags as a lot of their stuff is in weighty bottles etc so will be too heavy for a paper bag..be lucky to get to end of street with itgrin

Nannan2 Sun 29-Sep-19 10:24:00

Trouble with cloth bags(i do have some) is theyre far too small for a foodshop,and if you try to wash them to keep them germ free then they shrink even smaller!(even on a low temp.hmm

Nannan2 Sun 29-Sep-19 10:26:53

No i dont remember back when shops didnt have to provide a bag,im just 56grin

jenni123 Sun 29-Sep-19 10:28:35

I open the posts here every day but have to admit I don't always real ALL the comments. sometimes tho I am really surprised and the nasty/upsetting comments that are written.
Obviously I realise that not everyone will agree with everyone else but surely they don't have to post unpleasant replies . If they do not agree they can say that but without the need to upset others. there are lots of things I read here and I say to myself 'Oh for goodness sake' but would not post something that I felt would upset someone,

annifrance Sun 29-Sep-19 10:28:38

First world problem!!

Nannan2 Sun 29-Sep-19 10:35:03

Yes greenfinch,take a photo of said bag& upload& send to head office- just to prove your point that they promised this!grin (all the hecklers must have got out of bed on wrong side!)grinwink

Bijou Sun 29-Sep-19 10:39:34

I have never bought a plastic bag and do not use them. For heavy stuff like bottles use a large canvas bag bought from Sainsburys and have cloth bags I made myself which do not shrink when I wash them for other things. Fruit and veg I put loose in these cloth bags. I have seen people put bananas and apples in plastic bags. Why?

Bathsheba Sun 29-Sep-19 10:46:02

If you're on Facebook, go to Lidl's page and post a picture of the bag and tell the story of their refusal to replace. Don't just speak to Head Office, publicly shame them.

They should change the wording on the bags if they're not prepared to honour their promise.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 29-Sep-19 10:48:46

Still using what ever super market I go to my Tesco bags for life. I have three of them although like myself showing their age.

Nannan2 Sun 29-Sep-19 10:50:01

You see,shops say theyre 'bag free' but theyre not,or they wouldnt still be selling them at the tills,i mean what if you get to till& realise you left the bag at home( i do it a lot!) then what,? Do they expect you to carry it all home in your pockets?grinNo.so they sell you a bag!What they mean by bag free is,'we are going to make you buy one anyway,if youve not got one!' It annoys my son(20) cause he's to remember to load up boot with bags if i send him to pick up click& collect.(i used to just pay the extra for bags to make it less hassle for him)When i order home delivery i have 2 huge rubbery tubs(like what parents throw all the kids toys in) to put shopping in to drag into kitchen from door.smile

Tigertooth Sun 29-Sep-19 10:50:50

Greenfinch

You did nothing wrong - you were simply following recycling instructions, and yes, it’s acmatter of principle not cost. If it says what you say word got word then it is false advertising and hey should be taken to task over it.
Just ignore those taking cheap shots.

Nannan2 Sun 29-Sep-19 11:00:23

Dear Bijou,you are so 'holier than thou',i wish i was as saintlysmile i am quite a good hand-sewer but not got a machine so it probably wouldnt last long if i made one im afraidsad and no the canvas bags still arent as large as they should be making them if theyre to be of good use! (But also,i cant be the only person who watched the programme about reusable bags harbouring e.coli & other horrible bugs can i?) Theres only so many times you should reuse a bag for health reasons.(hence the canvas bag washing/shrinkinghmm

quizqueen Sun 29-Sep-19 11:01:41

I hate Lidl and Aldi and the rubbish tat stuff they sell. If your bag, when purchased was sold as a bag for life, then they should honour that commitment and it should have been replaced.

Nannan2 Sun 29-Sep-19 11:10:26

I think ill go to the (new built) local lidl & ask them to exchange one of their old bags!( from other lidl branch)just to see what they saygrinwink

Esspee Sun 29-Sep-19 11:21:10

With you all the way Greenfinch. It's false advertising on the store's part and they should be shamed for it.

As for the quality of products on sale in Lidl and Aldi quizqueen I shop at all the supermarkets from Waitrose to Asda and must say the quality of the items I buy in Lidl and Aldi, from the superb luxury muesli to their live yoghurt and cheeses, even the meat (do try the lamb steaks and chops), are not only excellent quality but fantastic value for money.
You sound extremely snobbish!