Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect Lidl to replace my torn plastic bag?

(103 Posts)
Greenfinch Sat 28-Sep-19 14:58:49

Like other supermarkets,Lidl's bags say that they will be replaced when broken but when I handed my old one over the assistant said they only do this for ones that break in the shop or the carpark and that anyway mine was far too old !I was astounded so rang their customer service and was told that this was indeed the case.Strange !Has anyone else been more successful ?

Alima Mon 30-Sep-19 07:49:04

Only one it. Twit.

Alima Mon 30-Sep-19 07:45:00

No, you are not being unreasonable Greenfinch, if that was what they say that is what they should do. Love the way the supermarket snobs have been out in force. How many Hyacinths do we have on here? I am green (ha, ha) with envy as we don’t have a choice in my town. Lidls have a planning application in to build one here but the rotters have opposed it.it

Scooty413 Mon 30-Sep-19 06:22:26

I agree with you that they should replace a bag that doesn't last, however only if it's called a bag for life in their posters, adverts, etc. Asda have never refused to replace one of mine so they are true to their word. I don't mind as long as the supermarkets are clear so the customer knows exactly what to expect.

Gonegirl Sun 29-Sep-19 22:14:22

Well, it isn't ridiculous. The whole ethos behind the 10p "bag for life", is that the shop will replace when they wear out. I just can't understand this.

MawB Sun 29-Sep-19 22:12:53

Was there not a time when one could agree or disagree with an OP in a friendly or light hearted way?
TBH it never occurred to me that this particular thread was a serious issue or that those who felt it was not an issue worth too much hot air were of necessity “nasty”
How GN seems to have changed sad

Greenfinch Sun 29-Sep-19 22:09:51

I have been waiting for your negative comment Gabriella.It is just what I would have expected. I don't exactly enjoy some of the threads you begin but I don't feel the need to say so.

GabriellaG54 Sun 29-Sep-19 21:35:51

Although I wasn't one of them, I don't think it's nasty to remark on someone starting a thread on the refusal of a supermarket to replace a torn 10p plastic bag.
IMO is a ridiculous thing about which to make a fuss.

Hetty58 Sun 29-Sep-19 20:55:51

Those that made the (totally unnecessary) nasty remarks should certainly be ignored - they should also realise how much they've shown themselves up!

Greenfinch Sun 29-Sep-19 20:39:35

Ha Ha! Wait for Yorkshire to respond grin

lemongrove Sun 29-Sep-19 20:31:48

Oh aye Greenfinch there’s a few of us about ( and most of Yorkshire)?

Gonegirl Sun 29-Sep-19 20:12:23

Bikergran gringringrin

Greenfinch Sun 29-Sep-19 20:03:36

Thanks lemongrove. Glad I'm not the only "cheapskate"grin

lemongrove Sun 29-Sep-19 19:48:52

Ignore the negative posts Greenfinch smile
Tesco and Sainsbury still offer a new bag for a torn one ( I got two just last week.)
What amazes me is how many I have ( folded up in the car boot) there must be at least 15 in there, plus a few in the hall cupboard, they must breed.

Greenfinch Sun 29-Sep-19 19:39:24

Keeper1 welcome to Gransnet. I don't understand the rudeness either but it is quite predictable who is going to say something unkind. You just have to grow an extra skin and remember that most members are very kind especially to those who have difficulties in their lives. I hope you will continue to post

Keeper1 Sun 29-Sep-19 16:19:50

Greenfinch I quite understand it is the principle, they are advertising that they will replace the bag and not stipulating a timescale on doing that either.

I am new to the forum and have been disappointed at how unkind some people are. The question was had anyone had success replacing their bag. I do not see why some posters feel the need to be so rude.

Greenfinch Sun 29-Sep-19 16:02:46

Thank you.

ayokunmi1 Sun 29-Sep-19 15:52:00

No your not being unreasonable.
What was unreasonable were some of the replies my gosh.
Just because some are to posh to go back with a torn used bag doesnt mean noses should be turned down at thoes that do .

GabriellaG54 Sun 29-Sep-19 15:09:42

M&S have very sturdy cotton canvas gusseted bags for £1.50 in their home dept sale.
They have capital letters printed on them but all the popular letters (your surname?) are gone so I bought one with letter Qq on it.
18"×14"×5" not including handle.
Also ice-cream fans (pink or white) £3 which have a charger you can use with your mobile, laptop or mains charger.

Greenfinch Sun 29-Sep-19 14:25:25

Not the cloth ones .Just the others. I don't know if Lidl's has any cloth ones.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 29-Sep-19 14:19:42

I am really surprised to hear that your supermarkets advertise that they will replace bags that break. Neither here in Denmark, nor in Germany do either Lidl or Aldi do so.

Are you talking about their cloth carrier bags or the vinyl ones?

Here they stamp the vinyl ones so that you are not charged for them again, but that is all.

Bijou Sun 29-Sep-19 14:17:06

Nannan2. I am old enough to remember when veg were tipped into your cane basket and you had to take a basin for your eggs and jug for milk. Bacon and meat etc wrapped in grease proof paper. Biscuits were sold loose Brown paper bags were widely used.

NfkDumpling Sun 29-Sep-19 13:08:13

DH who does the shopping, has been using Bags for Life from Sainsbury’s and the Co-op for years. He has four and two get used most days as he mostly shops locally. They generally last four or five years and have always been replaced by both stores with no quibble.

I think a photo on Lidl’s Facebook site and remarks on Twitter are definitely in order.

jaylucy Sun 29-Sep-19 13:03:18

Hardly worth bothering about ! I think only Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury replace their bags for life as standard practice and at one time use to have it actually printed on the bag.
I don't use the plastic bags if I can help it - pay a bit more for the other strengthened bags that they sell, or have several canvas ones from places such as Primark, as well as the jute bags from RBL.

Gonegirl Sun 29-Sep-19 12:34:23

Diabolical!

Tweet about this.

oodles Sun 29-Sep-19 12:28:18

It's not the money it's the principle of the thing, if they renege on what they say on a little bag who knows what else they may renege on