Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect Lidl to replace my torn plastic bag?

(103 Posts)
Greenfinch Sat 28-Sep-19 14:58:49

Like other supermarkets,Lidl's bags say that they will be replaced when broken but when I handed my old one over the assistant said they only do this for ones that break in the shop or the carpark and that anyway mine was far too old !I was astounded so rang their customer service and was told that this was indeed the case.Strange !Has anyone else been more successful ?

MissAdventure Fri 04-Oct-19 09:16:58

I thought it was as much to do with environmental concerns as anything else.

Presumably the rude bitches people on here are unaware about the need to reduce plastic.

Greenfinch Fri 04-Oct-19 09:16:06

Thank you for lightening the mood lemongrove.

Greenfinch Fri 04-Oct-19 09:14:07

mizzmelli I don't actually understand your last sentence. I am not at all desperate but do it to economise.I would ask you not to make personal comments when you know nothing about me or my lifestyle.

Greenfinch Fri 04-Oct-19 09:10:17

Thank you Bathsheba.

Greenfinch Fri 04-Oct-19 09:09:20

lemongrove grin

lemongrove Fri 04-Oct-19 09:08:36

Greenfinch for President Of The Replacement Plastic Bag Brigade smile or POTRPBB for short.
We need badges and tshirts printed by next week.

lemongrove Fri 04-Oct-19 09:06:31

Plastic bag warriors unite! smile

lemongrove Fri 04-Oct-19 09:05:40

Rude responses were always the order of the day on the news and politics threads, but there has been a leakage of it into every thread you can see now just about.
A great shame.

bikergran Fri 04-Oct-19 08:41:22

The cost of these plastic bags will continue to rise, the idea is that people will find alternatives so as not to have to pay for the plastic bags.

But sometimes when you have a million other things on your mind when leaving the house, "bags" are not on the top of your list, its normally the shopping and what are we having for tea. So ending up in having to buy even more for your shopping at the end of the checkout.

Believe me I have had som rude comments when I ask "do you need any bags today"? hmm

One being when I first started asking this chap, think it was my second day.his reply "no I don't want any f****ing bags!!

I think they think it is the person who is serving them that gets the money from the bags. smile

annep1 Fri 04-Oct-19 08:33:19

too to

Bathsheba Fri 04-Oct-19 08:25:42

Your nasty, sarcastic comment was entirely uncalled for mizzmelli.

bikergran Fri 04-Oct-19 08:13:18

Our bags for life are 15p so buying quite a few of those over the year does add up, where as buy one and keep replacing it only ever costs you 15p .

15p to most is very little , but when you have people coming your checkout coppering up to buy bread/milk cheap tin of soup then 15p is another pull out to them.

Some come with bags that are torn and tattered they are to proud to ask for a replacement bag.I try to look out for torn raggy bags and offer to replace them.

Who would have thought a thread about a plastic bag could have so many responses, yes if they say we will replace it then that's what they should stick to, its what you call "principles" smile

Harris27 Fri 04-Oct-19 08:11:55

Have frequented the new Lidl and was impressed but might not be going back as they’ve overcharged me on
two shopping trips and think this is due to staff not taking notice not happy will return to Aldi next week.

annep1 Fri 04-Oct-19 08:05:32

I think rude responses are becoming more common on Gransnet - some people seem too have become careless and disrespectful of others.

Calendargirl Fri 04-Oct-19 07:51:51

Nannan2

Well, I approve of Boots putting their products in paper bags. If only their prescriptions were still supplied in paper rather than sealed up plastic.
And surely the weighty bottles you buy can be carried in the cloth bags that so many GN’ers recommend?
I feel sorry for the original poster on this thread. What started out as a simple friendly query has de-generated into the usual bitchy, condescending, one-upmanship that seems to prevail on this site so often.

mizzmelli Fri 04-Oct-19 07:20:24

QuizQueen you sound like a stuck up person. And all this fuss over a 10 pence bag. If the OP is that desperate I can send her some free of charge. Although would they have to be nut free or vegan or knitted by people chanting mantas?

Greenfinch Wed 02-Oct-19 06:19:54

How wrong can you be !grin

Lovetopaint037 Tue 01-Oct-19 23:16:48

I thought this thread was a joke.

Greenfinch Tue 01-Oct-19 21:28:10

Sensible comments HazelG and Paddington1914.I absolutely agree.

Paddington1914 Tue 01-Oct-19 21:03:23

If they say they will replace the bag, then of course they should! Why all the horrible comments - not just here but on other comments too. Why can't we just reply to the question posted? Plus yes I agree - cotton bags are great - but for a weekly or fortnightly shop? No forget it.

HazelG Tue 01-Oct-19 21:00:46

The shop made a promise it failed to carry out.
Has anyone heard the old phrase, look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves?
There is no need to be mean or call anyone names, 10p might as well be ten pounds if you dodn't have it, plus we are not all loaded as some people on GN imply they are.
The OP is about the shop failing to carry out it's promise, and not the cost of the bag.
I always take my own bags, either cloth or made of recycled stuff, I do have some bags for life which I have had for years.

4allweknow Mon 30-Sep-19 11:52:26

Bikergran will confirm your supermarket does replace no questions asked. Had to seek replacement twice over a couple of years.

Howcome Mon 30-Sep-19 11:15:07

I think too many companies make claims like we will replace this bag - printed it on the bag and then have unprinted T’s &C’s. Good for you - such principles should be fought and I hope it costs Lidl considerably more than the bag to deal with the questions and they will not quibble in future as a result.
I agree Lidl and Aldi are excellent value and quality but I still shop elsewhere as well, as I find when you look at their calories and traffic lights they tend to have more salt, sugar and fat - which is how they max the flavour I guess. The veg although perfectly sound needs a good wash before use not just a rinse as elsewhere, which is fine as long as you are prepared for that. I also find their shelf life is not good enough for a weekly shop. However for same day or store cupboard items as long as one checks traffic lights and dates I find you can save a lot.

Maggiemaybe Mon 30-Sep-19 11:12:06

Yorkshire calling. smile

I favour a canvas bag. With me today is a Karstadt, Germany one, vintage 1975.

But if I need a commodious bag to fold up small and fit in a handbag, I go to my impressive stash of Bags for Life (all supermarket brands are represented).

Auntieflo Mon 30-Sep-19 08:23:18

Greenfinch I wanted to find a 'can of worms' emoji, but couldn't find how to copy and paste it.
I fully agree with you, by the way. smile