Gransnet forums

AIBU

Boris’s Grope?

(174 Posts)
Bridgeit Mon 30-Sep-19 13:42:02

It has come to light that Decades ago apparently he groped the leg of a female, If true should he taken to task about now.?

LondonGranny Tue 01-Oct-19 10:15:09

Loislove
I'm so sorry that happened to you. I have personal experience of not being believed (when I was a young teenager). I totally understand why women don't come forward.
Also our behaviour is so often called into question as somehow inviting a grope. Normal polite conversation is misconstrued a a come-on. For a long time I wast just a scowly cow as a defence mechanism. The label 'frustrated & frigid' was applied which some men saw as a challenge (what she needs is a good seeing-to etc). That really affects self-esteem, often permanently.

GillT57 Tue 01-Oct-19 10:34:44

Whether or not this particular assault happened, the facts, not allegations are; Johnson is a serial adulterer, has had many affairs and is also a serial liar. Put these two together and think on.

LondonGranny Tue 01-Oct-19 10:40:43

He is known to have at least five children. His wikipedia page keeps being altered to bring it down to just the ones born in wedlock!

Callistemon Tue 01-Oct-19 10:43:30

There is a scale, Bridgeit and this could be low on the scale imo.

Looking at this from afar, listening to news from the Far East, hot debates about climate change, this historic grope pales into insignificance.

Perhaps BJ thought that a grope was the accepted way of asking if someone would like to go on a date.
Boorish but not exactly world news.

Anniebach Tue 01-Oct-19 10:46:11

And all journalists are always honest GILL ? Every word written by journalists is truth ?

Anniebach Tue 01-Oct-19 10:48:51

So we can believe Corbyn took photographs of Diana Abbott
naked and showed them to friends because it was reported ?

Anja Tue 01-Oct-19 11:00:15

Why has she come forward now? Obvious isn’t it reading some of these disbelieving posts.

Simply because she would have been dismissed or not believed. Nowadays more women (and men) are willing to accept that this is simply not on....unless you are a dinosaur ?.

Joelsnan Tue 01-Oct-19 11:05:39

Interesting how ‘touching the thigh’ has now become a grope. I think these are somewhat different.

henetha Tue 01-Oct-19 11:06:33

I don't trust anyone who comes forward with these kind of allegations many years after the event. There has to be an ulterior motive.

Anja Tue 01-Oct-19 11:20:24

Joelsnan touching the inside of the thigh?

Anja Tue 01-Oct-19 11:22:25

henetha think about what you are saying. Those who felt unable to report abuse at the time should just shut up rather than speak out! Honestly?

GillT57 Tue 01-Oct-19 12:26:01

Sorry Anniebach I don't think I ever said that every word written by journalists was true, because I do not think that. I have read enough Daily Mail headlines to understand that little is as it seems, besides which, the liar in chief, Johnson has been sacked for lying when employed as a journalist.

Anniebach Tue 01-Oct-19 12:34:24

Gill it was a journalist who made the allegation and it is taken as true , no witness has supported the allegation.

Yes Johnson is a liar, but we are talking about a journalist’s
allegations.

Loislovesstewie Tue 01-Oct-19 12:42:39

Just a quick 'thank you' to those who have offered supportive comments after my post.

GillT57 Tue 01-Oct-19 12:42:41

The fact that the allegation was made by a journalist is not the point Annie, I take everything I read with a pinch of salt. the only difference is that as a journalist, she had a public platform, one which possibly a lawyer, waitress, or whatever would not have first hand. I have not read the details of the allegations, do not know if they are sound, maybe they are vindictive, but irrespective of that, Johnson is a liar, an adulterer and a cheat and it is a bit rich to be all affronted by such an accusation. This does not mean that I believe every sexual molestation accusation, there are fantasists and liars in the female population too, but I think the point I am trying to make, clumsily, is that Johnson is in no position to be shocked by this type of accusation given his dubious personal history. Or maybe he is just glad that this case is being debated to take the spotlight off the other allegations about securing contracts for another of his female 'friends' while Mayor of London. His not so private life is like a cesspit and it is catching up with him, so be it.

Gonegirl Tue 01-Oct-19 12:52:00

Any other time I would say he should be put through the mill for it, but at the present time, let him get on with the job in hand. Still hoping he can get a deal.

Anniebach Tue 01-Oct-19 12:55:49

Gill I certainly am not affronted by the allegation because it
is about Johnson .

I questioned if it’s true, I don’t know , but many here believe it is true because it’s Johnson

JenniferEccles Tue 01-Oct-19 12:56:56

I am waiting to see how many other daft women crawl out of the woodwork to claim that oh Boris may have touched my thigh in 1980!

When he and his girlfriend’s row was reported by a neighbour I was correct in guessing her political leanings.

If he manages to deliver Brexit despite so many attempts to scupper it he will deserve a huge round of applause

jo1book Tue 01-Oct-19 13:21:41

It is worrying that some people think that as long as Johnson can deliver Brexit (please don't hold breath) his behaviour can be overlooked.
But this will not topple him; the Law will do that.

Smileless2012 Tue 01-Oct-19 13:24:28

I think it's worrying that anyone be 'found guilty' until it's actually proven.

GillT57 Tue 01-Oct-19 13:51:22

Jennifereccles your comment I am waiting to see how many other daft women crawl out of the woodwork to claim that oh Boris may have touched my thigh in 1980! says much about you, and I only hope for their sake, that none of your family members have to turn to you for sympathy and help if they are assaulted. None of us on here know whether this allegation is true or vexatious, but most of us are understanding enough to know that many abuse victims do not come forward at the time due to comments such as yours. Your belief that allegations made by anyone with opposing political views to your own are to be disbelieved and dismissed as political mischief are frankly disgusting.

Bridgeit Tue 01-Oct-19 14:18:19

After reading all the interesting points of view , I am thinking that perhaps all Politicians should include a ‘ Things you may not have known about me’ on their leaflets. Perhaps under different categories, You know the sort of thing:
Have you ever been unfaithful :
Category 1.
Before you were well known
Category 2.
Only when you thought you could get away with it
Category 3.
Only if you have evidence that I have
Category 4.
A. Only once
B. More than once( but she made me)
C. Multiple times
D. Never ( unless you can prove that I did.)
???

trisher Tue 01-Oct-19 14:34:02

Love that Bridgeit grin
But I'm afraid the answer you would get to that question would be "Well it depends what you mean by unfaithful ..."

eazybee Tue 01-Oct-19 14:51:29

'So we can believe Corbyn took photographs of Diana Abbott
naked and showed them to friends because it was reported'

Now that truly is a terrible thing.

PernillaVanilla Tue 01-Oct-19 14:58:02

I suppose it is just another "Inverted Pyramid of Piffle". I might be more ready to accept his explanation if this was the first time but

"Tory MP Boris Johnson has expressed his regret at being sacked as shadow arts minister amid allegations about his private life.
A spokesman for party leader Michael Howard said he was removed for lying about claims of an affair.

Mr Johnson, a married father-of-four who edits the Spectator, has also been dismissed as party vice-chairman.

He is quoted as expressing his sorrow at the decision, which he said was made in response to tabloid stories.

'Personal integrity'

Mr Johnson last week dismissed claims in a Sunday newspaper that he had an affair with Spectator columnist Petronella Wyatt.

Johnson in Liverpool

Profile: Boris Johnson
Analysis: Fate was sealed
He told The Mail on Sunday: "I am very sorry this decision has been taken in response to tabloid stories about my private life."

And the Sunday Telegraph quoted him as saying: "It is a wretched and lamentable day when people's private lives become used in political machinations."

Yes, Boris, we have heard it all before.