Gransnet forums

AIBU

I’m an old fogey . Are you ?

(160 Posts)
Gemini1789 Tue 01-Oct-19 18:41:07

(What’s a fogey anyway ? Anyone know ? )

I mute the tv during the ads
I like my house warm
I avoid being on the road in the school run
I like quiet
I love good manners.

timetogo2016 Mon 28-Oct-19 16:50:03

In 1811 an old fogey was a nickname for an invalid/wounded soldier from the French fierce/fiery.
And I didn't think I was BUT yehhhh I AM.

Witzend Wed 09-Oct-19 06:18:14

Definitely entering fogeydom here, since I've actually brought my knitting on holiday (to be fair I have a lot to do before mid November) and instead of being raring to get to the beach every day, as I always did, I'm happy to potter about for a few hours and tick off another 10 rows.

I used to know one or two young fogeys - those who were apparently born middle aged. One young chap, only late teens, and not that long ago, invariably wore grandpa-type shirts (winceyette type check) and a knitted tie!

M0nica Sat 05-Oct-19 15:10:48

Just been reading a book published in 1866. In it someone is referred to as an 'old fogey' and it meant there what it means now: somone, usually older, who sticks to doing things the way they were done decades ago rather than adapting to modern practice, said with kindness, if dismissively.

giulia Thu 03-Oct-19 19:42:58

I've just won the prize for being the biggest old fogey of you all: I opened up my tax return form in order to complete it and found I am one of the 9% of British citizens who still do it by hand!

lemongrove Thu 03-Oct-19 18:38:30

Isn’t Churlston Deckle the Conservative MP for Henley??

Grandmama Thu 03-Oct-19 18:30:36

wink

Grandmama Thu 03-Oct-19 18:30:15

Gabriella - Thank you for reminding me about Churlston Deckle. I always used it years ago, not sure why I stopped, maybe too expensive or couldn't find it locally.

Thank you for your warm comments - I bake cakes every week but I can't make scones!

Awaiting the adoption papers to sign [wink}

maddyone Thu 03-Oct-19 13:13:50

I’m definitely an old fogey, based on your criteria Gemini, but also on a few that others have mentioned. I wear vests in winter, an apron when I’m cooking, I love my slippers, I get changed into comfortable jogging trousers as soon as I get home (I’ve no intention of going jogging though) I love the house to be warm.

Jennist Thu 03-Oct-19 13:05:01

Am I an old fogey?
You should be whatever you like. Personally I enjoy being 18years, 30 years, or maybe 40 - in my head that is.
I love going out, looking forward to the new seasons fashions, dressing up, making up and engaging with all generations.
What does that make me?
A Baby Boomer !!

Davida1968 Thu 03-Oct-19 10:20:14

I'm a middle-aged fogey, because I always insist that "old age" is twenty years older than I am.... (However, I can relate to very many of the "old fogey" characteristics raised in this thread.) I think that a truly old fogey is someone who isn't in touch with today's modern life, e.g. can't/won't manage I.T., dismisses all today's music, and doesn't even try to understand what it's like to be a young person today.

Startingover61 Thu 03-Oct-19 09:56:23

Getting there in some ways: love being at home in the evenings, especially in winter; like comfy clothes; read real books; like my own company; like listening to the radio; like knitting. (Although I'm not sure that even these things qualify me - aren't they just choices?)

Still not there in other ways: have a smartphone; have an iPad; enjoy my work and plan to carry on for as long as possible; enjoy dancing around the house! (Again, just choices.)

lemongrove Thu 03-Oct-19 09:50:55

True old fogey-ism does sound very comfortable I must say!
?
I don’t think I’m quite there yet.

Gemini1789 Thu 03-Oct-19 09:06:25

TiggyW About the cricket ....
Bumble is great but I just have to stick up for Nasser Hussain. He has helped me understand the game and I feel the others bully him a bit. I love the commentators but the Barmy Army spoils it for me especially at Edgebaston.

barbaranrod Thu 03-Oct-19 08:11:39

i must be an old fogey to we do all those things ,lol

NfkDumpling Thu 03-Oct-19 07:23:42

Yep, definitely an Old Fogey. We ask for Old Fogey tickets at museums etc. And I’ve discovered a reason for liking the oncoming winter. I can get out the comfy big jumpers, and leave my bra off until spring.

Callistemon Thu 03-Oct-19 07:10:42

Grandmama perhaps the world would be in a better state if everyone went back to the type of 'old fogeyism' which you describe.

Tread lightly on this earth and treat it with respect.

GabriellaG54 Thu 03-Oct-19 01:50:42

Grandmama
You sound a lovely person and great company. Someone who doesn't make a fuss if a drop of tea is spilled on the tablecloth and who bakes great scones. A comfortable person to be with.
I think everyone should have a gran like you...me included.
I'll send the adoption papers for you to sign and start packing my bags today. winkgrin

GabriellaG54 Thu 03-Oct-19 00:07:32

Met this guy at an IPC mag bash in London and we corresponded for a while after I moved back home.
He wrote on Churston paper with green bottled ink.
Always put his name on the back of the envelope.
Richard E Bradford.

GabriellaG54 Wed 02-Oct-19 23:59:28

Penmanship, Churston and tissue-lined envelopes.

GabriellaG54 Wed 02-Oct-19 23:54:01

CHURSTON deckle edge is hand made thick-ish paper with an irregular edging on all sides.
It comes in a host of colours (when you can find it) and bought per sheet not in a pad.
Tissue lined envelopes are beautiful and the lining is usually a paler variation of the envelope colour. I have some with patterned tissue lining.

annep1 Wed 02-Oct-19 23:27:03

I have never heard of tissue lined envelopes? Or Churlston paper.

justwokeup Wed 02-Oct-19 23:11:58

I must be as I am guilty of lots of the above. I also use a long-handled shoehorn now for my sensible shoes - who knew that was an essential item?

GabriellaG54 Wed 02-Oct-19 20:49:52

BusterTank
Me too. I'm perfectly content with my own company most of the time, I do avoid crowds and prefer to eat at and love being at home, on my own.

GabriellaG54 Wed 02-Oct-19 20:45:56

k iwcquiteca know quite a

GabriellaG54 Wed 02-Oct-19 20:43:36

Some things mentioned here, resonate. Most do not.
I do like and own a 'proper' pen (Schaeffer) and three inks, med blue, green and red.
I do use Churston deckle-edged paper but it's harder to find nowadays so I will buy the nearest quality paper and matching tissue lined envelopes.
It makes the writing so much more pleasurable and (I hope) the recipient feel more special.

I do also value good manners and sitting at a table to eat...always.

I'm pretty on the ball and k iwcquiteca bit about lots of other stuff, be it technology, some music, interiors, clothing, sports (esp athletics, football, rugby, horse-racing, cycling, triathlon, swimming/diving, rowing)
I use Ora paper wipes for cleaning glass/windows and leather and wood furniture creams.
Have most modern kitchen/home gadgets incl 12 in 1 steamer and cordless vacuum, some bamboo towels but I don't go overboard. No blankets here, no cluttered side tables by armchairs, no bits n bobs. I hate clutter and mess.