Gransnet forums

AIBU

I’m an old fogey . Are you ?

(159 Posts)
Gemini1789 Tue 01-Oct-19 18:41:07

(What’s a fogey anyway ? Anyone know ? )

I mute the tv during the ads
I like my house warm
I avoid being on the road in the school run
I like quiet
I love good manners.

MissAdventure Tue 01-Oct-19 18:44:29

Oh yes! I rejoice in my fogeyness.

I wear flat comfortable shoes, elasticated waists, and write letters of complaint about potholes. smile

GrannyGravy13 Tue 01-Oct-19 18:46:57

MissAdventure with the amount of potholes in our area you must have writers cramp!!!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 01-Oct-19 18:47:46

Me too, I mute the telly during the ads as they are so much louder than the programmes.
I avoid the rush hour.
I wear vests, pinnies and slippers, sometimes all at once.
I prefer to stay in during the evenings.
I inwardly tut if it's noisy in the library.
Never say no to a cup of tea.
Can't get the hang of new technology. My new phone has 26 'things' on it but I only use 8 of them.

kittylester Tue 01-Oct-19 18:50:47

I try not to be but I do like my house warm and wearing slippers. Bu I turn the heat up on my hive on my phone! Xx

Calendargirl Tue 01-Oct-19 18:52:49

Old fogeys clog up the supermarket on a Saturday morning when they have time to do their shopping in the week.

Old fogeys go on jaunts using their free bus passes.

Old fogeys grumble about the cold in the winter, then grumble about the heat in the summer.

Am I an old fogey? Hmm? ?

Gemini1789 Tue 01-Oct-19 19:05:04

These made me laugh. Thanks everyone. Glad I'm not alone.

MissAdventure Tue 01-Oct-19 19:33:26

grannygravy
I took some pictures of particularly bad ones and forwarded them to the council today. smile

It does keep me busy, I have to say.
As one gets repaired (that's one every 25 years!) 5 more appear.

Jane10 Tue 01-Oct-19 19:38:02

I'm a fogey and proud to be one! Life is too short for uncomfortable footwear or tight clothing. I hate being out in the evening. I've got special glasses for everything- driving, reading, eating, writing etc.
Fogeys rule! - or at least I wish we did. We'd know how to do things properly! ?

Oopsminty Tue 01-Oct-19 19:42:00

I must be an old fogey as well.

Mind you I've always liked most things on that list!

Mamardoit Tue 01-Oct-19 19:49:40

My 20 something sons certainly think I'm an old fogey.

I do all I can to void the TV ads. Usually record any programme with them in so I can fast forward. You see I am one by the way I spell programme.

Warm house certainly in the living room and bathroom. Cold bedrooms are good. Old fogey again because I remember ice on the windows.

I don't like being on the road at busy times but sometimes have to do the school run. I am supergran to my 30 something DC because I provide the free childcare.

Love the quiet but mind the DGC so only get quiet on Tuesday and Thursday when they are at nursery.

Free bus pass......If only! I won't get one until SPA ie for another 3.5 years. That must mean I'm not an old fogey.

crazyH Tue 01-Oct-19 19:52:59

I am an old fogey in most respects, but Iove technology...if I had money I would have the latest of every gadget going. Today my TV decided to play up - I fiddled and fuddled and finally got it to work. The guys who laid my laminate flooring had unplugged everything and didn't plug it back ?

Harris27 Tue 01-Oct-19 19:54:33

I love knitting quiet nights in comfy slippers heating on and radio two on a Sunday! I get excited when my weekly magazine drops through the letter box and look forward to a cuppa in bed reading it! I’m not 60:till January! Think I’ve always been one!

Bridgeit Tue 01-Oct-19 19:55:05

Yes all of the above Gemini1789
Plus
Holding a shop door open for others
Putting my hand over my mouth when coughing or yawning
Checking my open umbrella isn’t about to do serious damage to anyone else.

MissAdventure Tue 01-Oct-19 19:58:04

Harris27 we are young fogeys (fogies?)

I'm in my 50s.

Coolgran65 Tue 01-Oct-19 19:59:59

All of the above - smile

MiniMoon Tue 01-Oct-19 20:03:41

I don't like it, but I must be an old fogey.
I'm sitting in a warm room with a rug over my knees ?.
I wear comfy warm sweaters and jeans/trousers with elasticated waists.

Unless I'm going out I wear my slippers constantly, I have three pairs.

Must go now, I'm watching Bake Off.

Harris27 Tue 01-Oct-19 20:04:27

Thank you misadventure for explaining that- I’m only 30 something in my head till I look in the mirror!,? I like comfort and gransnet! I love this thread!

Lilypops Tue 01-Oct-19 20:11:43

Harris27, I could have written your post at 19.54, I love my comfy slippers on , staying in evenings with my knitting , and waiting for my weekly magazine through the door,
I love this thread too,

LondonGranny Tue 01-Oct-19 20:21:02

In some ways, definitely.
I like old stuff. I don't mean antiques I mean loose leaf tea, teapot & teacosy. I like proper pens with ink, blotting paper, nice cotton hankies and lavender water. I wash twice daily using a flannel at the handbasin instead of a shower. I like bath salts and a proper sponge when I have a bath. I hate loud music. I like offal. I make shopping lists on the backs of old envelopes. I use Brasso. I have only just been persuaded that a mobile phone might be useful. Definitely not going to get a smartphone though. I don't watch reality TV. I write thank you letters.

In other ways no.
I really like teenagers who are so often villified these days. I was an early adopter of home computers. I own a food processor. I love garlic and chillies. I am a feminist. I am struggling to come up with more examples of my modernity.

giulia Tue 01-Oct-19 20:21:05

My husband and I are old fogeys because we often eat our dinner on trays with a cushioned bottom on our laps in front of the "telly"! ... are in our seventies.

SueDonim Tue 01-Oct-19 20:26:24

I'll be an old fogey from Saturday onwards. That's the day I get my first NHS flu vaccine and a pneumococcal jab, too! grin

My youngest dd, aged 23, is an old fogey, too. She likes quiet nights in, Earl Grey tea, and Abernethy biscuits.

giulia Tue 01-Oct-19 20:27:36

LondonGranny I agree with you about loose leaf tea, teapot and teacosy! I also like offal. It's one of the main ingredients of La Cucina Romana - where I live.

sodapop Tue 01-Oct-19 20:31:27

I dislike warm rooms, jumpers, slippers.

I like scheduled TV not Netflix etc. Love to read books not kindle

merlotgran Tue 01-Oct-19 20:33:19

I must be an old fogey because I keep a tissue up my sleeve then forget about it until I empty the washing machine. ???