Gransnet forums

AIBU

Corrections

(68 Posts)
Maybelle Wed 09-Oct-19 13:48:13

AIBU ? I have just had my spelling corrected on another thread, I accept I have some difficulty with spelling, but did not expect nor do I accept being corrected in an open forum.
I have enjoyed this online group for around a year now and have appreciated the support given to myself and to other posters from a wide range of really thoughtful people.
But I do not feel it appropriate to have my posts marked, judged for spelling and grammar, and corrected.

TerriBull Wed 09-Oct-19 15:53:27

Don't let that unnecessary comment put you off Maybelle.

Alima Wed 09-Oct-19 16:19:15

How very rude Maybelle. If it was who I think it was her punctuation leaves a lot to be desired. People in glass houses etc.

Daisymae Wed 09-Oct-19 16:23:00

Ignore it. Some people just can't help being pathetic.

Oldandverygrey Wed 09-Oct-19 16:34:40

Maybelle - to correct you on your spelling error is quite simply bad manners, rise above it.

Elegran Wed 09-Oct-19 16:37:18

Spelling checkers aren't much use, I find they make more mistakes than I do. I don't make many spelling mistakes, but I do make typos when I am in a hurry. I can't touch-type, so I look at the keyboard rather than the screen, and just glance up at it when I finish typing - typos then jump out at me and can be corrected (or not, if I am in a hurry).

That works OK on the desktop machine, but since I got a Kindle Fire with Android-type spellchecker and often post on that, I have had it come up (in a post about " girly swots" and public schoolboys) with some weird things.

For "single-sex" schools it thought I wanted to type "anti-war"
for "clever" it wanted "forces"
and for "swot" it wanted "can't"

Am I being censored? Is big brother BJ reading my posts?

leyla Wed 09-Oct-19 16:48:57

Funnily, bad spelling doesn’t bother me but terrible grammar makes me cringe.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 09-Oct-19 16:56:01

Hi Maybelle, I was really pleased that you posted this thread as I was thinking of doing something along the same lines.

I for one am a bad speller, I read plenty of books, I write and am well educated but I have great difficulty spelling. Because off this handicap I am reluctant to use words I have difficulty with because of the need for some posters to publicly correct you and there is one person who is always doing this. In future I won't bother so much and will look for a mojo I can use, like two fingers, to anyone who corrects me.

Take heart Maybelle you are not along

Cherrytree59 Wed 09-Oct-19 17:02:44

Maybelle you are not alone, I have had my spelling corrected and told I had 'please remember how to spell it'!!!grin
and yes those of you who think you know who it is, are spot on?

Greenfinch Wed 09-Oct-19 17:05:41

Is it significant that there is no response from her on here or is she having a quiet chuckle to herself having got so many backs up ?confused

Luckygirl Wed 09-Oct-19 17:13:29

As the mother of a highly intelligent and erudite dyslexic DD I would never dream of correcting another's spelling. I am sorry that this piece of ill-manners has been directed at you. Not acceptable.

Newatthis Wed 09-Oct-19 17:14:13

Yes, I agree and I notice it happens so often. Very rude!!!

Nannarose Wed 09-Oct-19 17:16:03

Just to say that my own rules are as follows:
I don't 'correct' anybody, most posts on here are quite easy to read & understand
I do, in my replies use correct spelling & grammar - I assume that the poster had made a mistake - I don't mean it as a 'wagging finger'!
I expect folk to do the same when I make mistakes
Having said that, sometimes when I see a post that seems rambling and confused, where poor punctuation and mis-spelling make it difficult to read, then I ignore it. I think it may reflect the poster's state of mind, but if I can't follow it then I feel unable to respond. Some of you are very kind and patient with such posts.

Witzend Wed 09-Oct-19 17:36:51

To me it's extraordinarily ill-mannered to correct anyone's SPAG on a forum like this. The poster(s) in question - though I'm aware of only one who makes a habit of it - are IMO best ignored.

Though I have to say I did it just once on another (largely male) forum, only because the person in question had just made a point of correcting someone else - and made a basic mistake in his own post! Pots and kettles....

Pudding123 Wed 09-Oct-19 17:50:34

Just reading all the lovely supportive comments on here make me feel pleased and yes we all know who the main culprit is. I have often wondered how many friend she has in her life of she is as rude in real life as she sometimes is on here.

grapefruitpip Wed 09-Oct-19 17:53:59

Were wear u corected pls?

Wat is a rincakeyringy?

grapefruitpip Wed 09-Oct-19 17:55:48

Cherrytree, surely you can spell " it"?

Only 2 letters???wink

Barmeyoldbat Wed 09-Oct-19 18:11:54

Maybe we could set up a bad spelling club grin

Maybelle Wed 09-Oct-19 19:27:55

Thanks again for all the support. So glad I didn't just sign off and leave earlier.

grapefruitpip it was the spelling of bundt tin , which is indeed a rincakeyringy, a circular cake tin with the centre missing, like a bit like a large metal mould to make polo mint cakes in . . .

I had spelt it as bunt which is how I had always spelt it. Well now I know better !

kircubbin2000 Wed 09-Oct-19 19:53:43

Learning something new! Never heard of a bundt tin until I googled. That would make a nice cake.Thought you meant bun tin until I read the comments.

grapefruitpip Wed 09-Oct-19 20:07:18

You should never use a burnt tin.

SueH49 Wed 09-Oct-19 23:23:06

Had a giggle the other day when I saw someone correcting a spelling mistake but then used the incorrect spelling of their/there in the same post.

Nanny27 Wed 09-Oct-19 23:36:08

Hate to think that someone would be put off posting on here because people are rude enough to correct spelling. Makes you wonder if anyone else, maybe a new member has been afraid to come back. Horrible thought.

merlotgran Wed 09-Oct-19 23:36:31

My phone took it upon itself to alter a spelling and some clever arse went on and on about my post being nonsensical even though a five year old could have grasped the meaning - with or without correct spelling.

Best to ignore the sad creatures.

Feelingmyage55 Wed 09-Oct-19 23:50:03

Ignore. I make lots of typos if using my phone, tiny keys and tiny print. However did spot spell check change knickers to knockers and managed to sort it before pressing post. ? If we can communicate our ideas, offer and receive advice and reassurance that is all that is necessary. Also many posters are from different countries where alternative spellings are correct there. Come to soop’s kitchen where kindness and good manners are a must. That is an official invitation. A new kitchen should open in the next few hours. The current one is almost full.

paddyann Thu 10-Oct-19 00:29:24

Another here who has a dyslexic daughter and I've seen her posts on FB be criticised.Makes me very annoyed,as someone said a spell checker is often less than useless and she just doesn't bother now as most people who know her know she cant spell...wel she can spell but she can spell the same word differently 3 times in one sentence.People should just but out as my GS would say .Nobody is perfect although some on here believe they are !