Gransnet forums

AIBU

Corrections

(68 Posts)
Maybelle Wed 09-Oct-19 13:48:13

AIBU ? I have just had my spelling corrected on another thread, I accept I have some difficulty with spelling, but did not expect nor do I accept being corrected in an open forum.
I have enjoyed this online group for around a year now and have appreciated the support given to myself and to other posters from a wide range of really thoughtful people.
But I do not feel it appropriate to have my posts marked, judged for spelling and grammar, and corrected.

BradfordLass72 Thu 10-Oct-19 03:19:04

Nanny27
I know of 3 who have at least temporarily 'retired wounded' because they PMd me after a particularly vitriolic attack, not about spelling though.
I had taken a differen approach, hence the PMs. It's such a shame.

About spelling: quite apart from anything else, it changes over time.

No one seems to write mediaeval now and I would never have used 'spelt' - which to me is a kind of flour, but 'spelled' likewise 'leant' - I use 'leaned'.

I am not assuming one is wrong, the other correct, just illustrating how things change.

As for the audacity of anyone to correct someone's post - words (fortunately) fail me. grin

Maybelle stay with us imperfect Grans and ignore those who think they are perfect smile

Doodledog Thu 10-Oct-19 03:32:28

I agree that correcting others is very rude.

I also think that autocorrect is responsible for a lot of ‘mistakes’. My phone has a mind of its own, and as we can’t edit on here, the nonsense has to stand.

Witzend Thu 10-Oct-19 08:55:35

I would write 'mediaeval'! And ditto foetus (if I ever had to) not the increasingly common 'fetus'.
The other versions just looks wrong to me, though I know they are quite correct.

Grandad1943 Thu 10-Oct-19 09:42:02

Maybelle, I suffer from a mild form of dyslexia and therefore use an app named Grammarly which corrects any spelling mistakes I make as I type.

In my posts I often quote what others have posted (encased in square brackets) and when carrying out those pastes the Grammarly app will sometimes auto-correct any spelling mistakes it recognises.

I am not sure if the above was what happened in any response I may have made to a post of yours, but if that is the case I very sincerely apologise.

Prior to having the above app I often received "mocking" from the forum grammar and spelling police, so I very much recognise how you feel.

Once again sincere apologies if that unwelcome correction was made by way of me and my app, had I realised it certainly would not had happened.

KatyK Thu 10-Oct-19 09:57:18

It's very rude. My husband is a very intelligent man who held down a very responsible job for many years. However, his spelling is appalling. He just has a mental block with spelling.

Grammaretto Thu 10-Oct-19 10:30:55

In defence of us pedantic posters, of a certain age, for whom bad spelling was punished at school.

Our DC were exasperated with me for when they showed me their homework, I would just see the mistakes and fail to follow the context.

"you aren't reading it!" one would cry. Never mind the apostrophes, I found it hard to see beyond. Shame on me.

I also make plenty of typos and spelling errors. Sorry about the rudeness you experienced Maybelle

Maybelle Thu 10-Oct-19 15:57:53

Grandad1943, it was not you, I have also sent you a PM.

Jane10 Thu 10-Oct-19 19:09:48

There are some (well one!) poster who, if I see her name on a thread, I just leave it. ? Just too unnecessarily critical of others and unpleasant too often.

Gonegirl Thu 10-Oct-19 19:14:07

Why don't posters just come out and say it on the thread.

This thread could be taken as bullying by stealth.

Gonegirl Thu 10-Oct-19 19:15:28

Forgot the ?

Nanny27 Thu 10-Oct-19 19:30:19

I don’t know who these rude people are, I obviously need to pay more attention.?

Elegran Thu 10-Oct-19 19:44:12

gonegirl because the same posters who are quick to unnecessarily correct typos are also quick to claim that they are being attacked.

BlueBelle Thu 10-Oct-19 19:57:59

Nanny27 you’re not alone I really must pay more attention
Don’t worry MayBelle what do they say ‘To err is human’ we all make mistakes and it says more about the corrector than the corrected
Keep on a throshing as they say in my part of the world

Grannycool52 Thu 10-Oct-19 20:56:23

I don't mind if posters make mistakes with spelling and grammar on this forum - it's meant to be chatty and openly criticizing others is ill-mannered. However, I was amused the other day to see that a post decrying others' mistakes did itself contain a grammatical error. (I didn't risk pointing it out, though!)

grannyqueenie Thu 10-Oct-19 22:38:10

Maybelle please take no notice, some folk have little to do with their time and appear to take pleasure in humiliating other posters.

Laurely Fri 11-Oct-19 08:31:08

Sometimes I wonder about the people reading and posting on here. What do they look like, how have they time to do this, and so on. (I'll come clean: I came downstairs in my dressing gown because I wanted a cup of tea. I am also seeking distraction from engaging with the difficult things I need to do today. So I thought I'd look to see what might interest me on GN.) Because we don't really know each other, or see each other face to face, it is harder to pick up on the equivalents of intonation and body language. Probably those who do the correcting just don't understand/appreciate the effect of their posts on OPs. Would they behave like that if we were all together in a room? (Of course, we wouldn't hear spelling mistakes; but there would be word choices and lapses of syntax or grammar they could point out. And if they did, I imagine most of us would cold-shoulder them.)

timetogo2016 Tue 29-Oct-19 09:04:06

Ignore the comment Mabelle.
There`s no spelling police on this site.
Also we can all hit the wrong key at times.