Gransnet forums

AIBU

Cold calls from Funeral directors

(27 Posts)
brook2704 Wed 16-Oct-19 11:41:23

Anyone think cold calling from funeral directors is wrong ? I know many people want to pre pay and plan their funerals but cold calling seems one step too far and could be very upsetting for some - They have no idea who they are calling and personal circumstances

dragonfly46 Wed 16-Oct-19 11:46:52

I have not had one of these but I think they are very wrong.

sodapop Wed 16-Oct-19 11:57:36

I don't like cold calling at all. Funeral Director is a business like any other so no better or worse.

MawB Wed 16-Oct-19 11:59:21

I’d happily tell them where to get off!

harrigran Wed 16-Oct-19 12:00:40

I think it is totally unacceptable, they do not have to tout for business.

EllanVannin Wed 16-Oct-19 12:02:01

I know what I'll be saying if I get one of those.

EllanVannin Wed 16-Oct-19 12:02:28

It's a shocking practice.

Grannybags Wed 16-Oct-19 12:05:08

I don't think any cold calling should be allowed

Septimia Wed 16-Oct-19 12:24:33

Not acceptable and in very bad taste.

boodymum67 Wed 16-Oct-19 13:18:13

oh I think getting a call from them would send a shiver up my spine! We get a lot of recorded cold calls now and always bar them, but somehow they keep on coming.

Alexa Wed 16-Oct-19 15:46:01

They must get a lot of teasing. Are they recorded voices or real people?

Nannyxthree Wed 16-Oct-19 16:11:56

It would be interesting to now if they get any extra custom by this method!

Witzend Wed 16-Oct-19 16:24:37

Awful. I'm sure that'd put me right off ever using such a company. Imagine the distress if there was someone very ill in the house! I can't help thinking of my mother, who had my terminally ill father at home for at least a month before he died.

If they ever cold-called here, I think I might tell them to drop dead - in one of their own coffins.

52bright Wed 16-Oct-19 16:54:32

I think it is a terrible form of cold calling. As a PP said, they don't know the circumstances of those they are calling.They could be calling on people who are coping with the last days of a loved one or perhaps have just heard they have a terminal illness, Callous in the extreme.

Resurgam123 Wed 16-Oct-19 18:25:37

We don't know exactly what was said or done on that advert.
But it would be interesting exactly how that was presented.
The silly adds on TV is one thing which most of us have seen is essentially a funeral advert so I would want to know what has been really had been said.
How about some more detailed information on that.
We need to see what has been written.

Hetty58 Wed 16-Oct-19 18:31:52

Outrageous! It's quite bad enough watching some daytime TV channels (obviously meant for the elderly) with all the ads for equity release, funeral planning, life insurance, recliner chairs and cruises!

brook2704 Wed 16-Oct-19 18:35:54

Thank you everyone for your replies. I was really taken aback when I got this call earlier today ! The call was from someone on behalf of Fosters Funeral Directors and apparently they do this all the time and get lots of business from cold calling !! I said exactly the same as Witzend says - what if there was somebody very ill in the house ? Imagine the distress it may cause. Very bad practice

MissAdventure Wed 16-Oct-19 18:39:26

I'm almost hoping I get a call from them so I can give them what for!!
Appalling!

MissAdventure Wed 16-Oct-19 18:43:48

www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/problems/tackling-nuisance-calls-and-messages/live-marketing-calls

I would report them.

welbeck Wed 16-Oct-19 18:55:37

there is a good land line phone called, I think, BT call guardian. can be used on non-BT land lines. just needs caller ID.
it intercepts unknown callers and you can then choose whether to accept or block call.
very simple and gives real peace of mind.
I used to get endless calls from schools, misdialling a software company. I would patiently explain..some were quite insistent, that is the number I dialled. no, you did not, because that is not my number. what's your number they would demand. I'm not giving out any information, I'd say. sometimes, I'd say, hello, this is too-simple-to-dial-correctly. which was a pun on the company name. anyway when I found a recorded message from one of these schools it felt really good to press the block button so I don't get them again, not even able to leave a message.
it's a good system, enables you to take back the control.

Resurgam123 Wed 16-Oct-19 19:01:17

Brook2704.
Hearing more exactly what has been said that is very wrong. I hope you have made a strong complaint.

purplepatch Mon 21-Oct-19 15:40:09

I have never, nor would ever, do business with a cold caller.
They are intruding on my home and private space.

timetogo2016 Tue 29-Oct-19 09:00:43

I would be asking them if they new something I didn`t.

EllanVannin Tue 29-Oct-19 09:27:35

Tell them to drop dead smile

Barmeyoldbat Tue 29-Oct-19 09:28:41

My daughter had a cold call about setting up a funeral plan not long after her husband died. She agreed to take one out for £55 a month.

When I found out I explained that there was no way she could afford that amount at the moment but we would look into something for later if that is what she wanted.

I then rang the funeral people and wiped the floor with them. They looked into it, listened to the recorded call and realised she didn't fully understand., so they cancelled the plan and gave her £50. It seems they didn't make the call but use an agency who make the hard sell.