Gransnet forums

AIBU

NOT real meat

(116 Posts)
Esspee Sun 27-Oct-19 07:18:01

Saw the title of another thread which made me think of Tesco.
Visited there on Friday and the entrance smelt of a delicious casserole which was bubbling away just inside. Tasted a sample which was excellent then from the discussion taking place discovered that what I thought was a sausage casserole was in fact a vegan product.
AIBU to feel that artificial meat products should be clearly labelled? I'll be making it myself tomorrow - with real sausages!

humptydumpty Sun 27-Oct-19 13:01:48

Yes YABU - very! This has to be a spoof post, surely? What's wrong with just eating the product as is, if it was excellent? In what way is there any point in using 'real' suasages instead?????

MamaCaz Sun 27-Oct-19 13:18:01

Callistemon
...a young friend ended up in hospital not long ago because non-GF food was put in the wrong cabinet and labelled as GF. Many people just do not understand the implications.

I often think what a nightmare it must be for those with serious allergies or food intolerances. Even if cooking from scratch, there must always be the fear that one of the ingredients has become contaminated at some stage along the supply chain.

janeainsworth Sun 27-Oct-19 13:18:13

Bluebelle I often find your posts difficult to understand, and this one almost incomprehensible.
what is left to make the vegan products into without people like you saying they re copying meat
There are no shapes left to use without being a pc used if copying You tell me how it could look ?
I’m not sure either whether ‘accused of’ refers to me, but I wasn’t accusing anyone of anything.
I was just wondering why non-meat forms of protein have to pretend they are meat.
If you want to eat lentils, make soup or Dahl.
If you want to eat chickpeas, make a curry or hummus.
If you want to eat nuts, add them to a pasta dish.
If you want to eat soy protein, eat bean curd in Chinese dishes.
Will that do?
And what do you mean by ‘people like you’ ?

Yehbutnobut Sun 27-Oct-19 13:28:31

Is it me?

I read it as the OP was offered it as a sampling food. No one forced her to eat it. And now she’s moaning....really you can’t please some folks.

Yehbutnobut Sun 27-Oct-19 13:31:09

I perfectly ‘get’ why veggie ow vegan food is styled to look like meat. I don’t see it as an issue.

notanan2 Sun 27-Oct-19 13:32:54

*message Julesw Sun 27-Oct-19 07:27:33
It's funny really that the vegan brigade go ape if meat products are not clearly explained to the hundredth degree but the same seems not to be true for non meat products.*

It is clearly NOT the same.

Non vegans eat a mix of animal and plant based foods, so do not need a warning if they are about to eat something plant based. What do you have WITH your meat huh? Yeah! Plant based products. So you were hardly tricked into eating something you dont usually eat.

notanan2 Sun 27-Oct-19 13:40:33

Sausages and burgers are shapes anyway. No meat comes in those shapes naturally. And it doesnt tell you what kind of meat is in them.

notanan2 Sun 27-Oct-19 13:43:07

I'll bet that there WAS an ingredient list available on request. There always is at sample stands it is required.

GreenGran78 Sun 27-Oct-19 13:53:13

My son has been vegan for many years. One of his work colleagues announced recently that he was ‘going vegan.’ DS said, “You will be buying new shoes, then?” The man looked surprised, then said, “Oh. You mean not wearing leather any more? These shoes are ok because they are made of suede.” He couldn’t understand why DS burst out laughing.

The vegan experiment lasted three days!

I eat a lot less meat since my DH died. He loved his meat. I suppose it is much easier to use terms like veggie burgers or meatless sausages to describe food than to come up with new ones. I can’t understand why non meat eaters should want food that resembles meat, though.

4allweknow Sun 27-Oct-19 14:02:12

Which came first: humans eating meat or grains? I know the world has changed but vegans should appreciate the natural evolution of mankind, so far. I am not against vegans, vegetarians. I do expect however people to accept others' choice.

Callistemon Sun 27-Oct-19 14:23:28

Yes, MamaCaz it can be!
A lot of establishments are far more aware nowadays but it's surprising how many still have no clue.

It's not always possible to eat home-cooked food of course, and most of the time you have to trust what people say.

Sausages and burgers are shapes anyway. No meat comes in those shapes naturally. And it doesnt tell you what kind of meat is in them.

Interesting one because burgers is an abbreviation of hamburgers which don't usually contain ham.
Are they named after Hamburgers? Did the people of Hamburg invent them?

Callistemon Sun 27-Oct-19 14:29:42

Non vegans eat a mix of animal and plant based foods, so do not need a warning if they are about to eat something plant based.
notanan it's not the fact that it's meat-free that needs the warning - it's the fact that it could contain a plant-based product which could produce a reaction or even death in someone who is allergic to one of the unlabelled ingredients.

Although most people with any sense who have a problem would not eat it, there is always the chance that someone could.

notanan2 Sun 27-Oct-19 15:19:49

Had the OP asked for the ingredient list, as anyone with a food allergy would do, she would have gotten it.

And plenty of meat based meals also contain all kinds of plant based allergens as well such as soy and gluten containing sauces and graveys etc so containing meat does not protect from that.

And that is not why the OP is complaining at any rate

Squiffy Sun 27-Oct-19 15:20:49

Calli However, a young friend ended up in hospital not long ago because non-GF food was put in the wrong cabinet and labelled as GF. Many people just do not understand the implications.

I've lost count of the number of people who have commented to me along the lines of 'Is that the same as being vegetarian?' when speaking of GF food! As you say, they just don't understand the implications.

Many don't seem to understand the implications of a food allergy either, despite the awful incidents that have been in the Press recently.

notanan2 Sun 27-Oct-19 15:48:51

Yet this still has nothing to do with the OPs complaint!

Meat containing dishes can still have all sorts of plant based allergens in them. So simply signing it "meat free" doesnt tell allergy sufferers anything.

crystaltipps Sun 27-Oct-19 15:54:54

Lots of vegetarian/ vegan bashing here as per. I haven’t eaten meat for 50 years and no desire to eat anything resembling it. However, a sausage or a burger isn’t something made from any particular part of a dead animal and could easily be made from mushed up beans as mushed up fat, bones and gristle. I can’t think why something described as”excellent” would be dismissed out of hand because it doesn’t contain decaying animal flesh in it. A bit of weird logic. The pretend meat I guess is designed to appeal to meat eaters who want to cut down on meat, but don’t really know how to construct a non meat meal. Most people who are long term veggies aren’t the targets, over processed food is just yuck.

rockgran Sun 27-Oct-19 15:55:53

I recently asked for alcohol free beer at a dance and was given gluten free. As it was quite dark I didn't realise until I had drunk some and started to feel odd. The alcohol content was the same as normal beer. I now always double check as this happens quite often. Non alcoholic is not the same as gluten free! Luckily I wasn't driving!

BlueBelle Sun 27-Oct-19 16:06:49

Sorry you rarely understand my posts janeainsworthy I never realised I wrote nonsense
Must try better ???

Eglantine21 Sun 27-Oct-19 16:18:58

What do vegans wear on their feet? Plastic? ?

Hithere Sun 27-Oct-19 16:25:18

Eglantine21

Items that qualify as vegan or faux leather can be produced from materials as varied as cork, barkcloth, glazed cotton, waxed cotton, paper, polyvinyl chloride (PVC), and polyurethane. It is those last two materials that are the most common materials used for synthetic leather.

They are also made of fabric.

Dana6789 Sun 27-Oct-19 16:29:18

Bluebelle, I don't think your posts are nonsense but I do think a few full stops would make them easier to follow. No offence!

Eglantine21 Sun 27-Oct-19 16:38:37

Oh lots of things you can use. Perhaps the PVC etc isn’t a very good idea though.......

Bring back rubber?

Hithere Sun 27-Oct-19 16:40:43

I use vegan shoes, bags, belts, etc.

Even major brands have vegan lines now- sketchers, jeep, i think Mike or rebook.

Honestly, no major quality change. Shoes only last for so long and vegan leather does not affect its durability.

ElectricErin Sun 27-Oct-19 16:42:21

Perhaps vegan or vegetarian food is sometimes made to look like meat to encourage meat eaters to try it? Obviously worked on Espee smile

ElectricErin Sun 27-Oct-19 16:45:29

Totally agree smile