Gransnet forums

AIBU

Tenant Dilemma

(23 Posts)
Eloethan Tue 05-Nov-19 23:17:51

I don't know where you live. Round here what you're offering would be around £125-140 a week.

My understanding is if you rent out a room in your house - in which you also live, you can just give someone notice to leave without them being able to take it to court. It's worth checking anyway.

It does rather sound as if he's got a very good deal but, despite that, is inconsiderate in not doing his fair share. It appears he doesn't appreciate his good fortune. I wouldn't be very happy with the new arrangement either and I really think it is reasonable, given that his changed circumstances now impinge too much on your own life and budget, that you ask him to leave.

Fennel Tue 05-Nov-19 17:48:55

Good advice from Buffybee
Especially as there's no legal contract.
I'm sure you could find a better tenant.
If you're nervous about getting tough with him, as I would be, try to persuade a male relative to help.

Buffybee Tue 05-Nov-19 17:40:15

Hi Deni1963, the person paying for a room and use of bathroom and kitchen in your house is not a tenant.
He is a lodger and as such has few rights. You can ask him to leave by giving “reasonable notice”, 4 weeks would be enough.
If you want him to stay, it would be best to tell him that you’re not happy with a few things i.e. rent and cleanliness.
Tell him you are putting the rent up to what it was before and tell him what shared cleaning he is expected to do. For instance keeping bathroom decent at all times and cleaning it thoroughly on alternate weeks to you. Same with the kitchen,
If this is not agreeable to him give him 4 weeks in writing to leave.

Daisymae Tue 05-Nov-19 17:18:28

Round here it around £100 per week, room only

midgey Tue 05-Nov-19 17:00:18

I don’t see why you have to be quieter in the evenings, doesn’t sound as if he is being very considerate towards you.

JenniferEccles Tue 05-Nov-19 16:34:17

I think it’s time to give him notice as the current arrangement clearly isn’t working .

There is no way you should feel miserable in your own home.

If you really need to take in a lodger then I’m sure you could find someone more suitable.

Deni1963 Tue 05-Nov-19 16:21:15

Thanks for all the advice I feel a bit better.
I'm volunteering at a charity shop Monday, Tuesday my day off for home and family and work rest of week .
I'm in ipswich suffolk. I gave him a contract that was never signed by him. But yes I suppose I have to be quieter when I'm home evenings if he is having more sleep.

NotTooOld Tue 05-Nov-19 16:10:09

You need to sit down and have an adult conversation with him.

Yes, you do. If you don't fancy doing it on your own I should get a friend to be with you.

Yehbutnobut Tue 05-Nov-19 16:00:33

You need to sit down and have an adult conversation with him.

FlexibleFriend Tue 05-Nov-19 15:34:06

Thinking about it a bit more, he's a cheeky git because you did him a favour when he was struggling by reducing the rent and he should have automatically put it back up when he changed his job. So not only would I put it back up but add on a bit extra to compensate for him being home all day and being a messy bugger.

PamelaJ1 Tue 05-Nov-19 15:30:48

He sounds like he’s getting a really good deal.
Of course I don’t know where you live but If he could find alternative accommodation that includes council tax, electricity etc. I’d be surprised.
IMO his rent should go back up again. You were kind when he was in difficulties. Now he isn’t and if, as you said, he’s costing more then it should go up and a bit more added.
It must be more difficult for you if you are at home all day. Do you have to be quiet while he sleeps?
Maybe it’s time for him to move on and he needs to start looking for a new home.

Grammaretto Tue 05-Nov-19 15:27:02

Yes you have to lay it on the line. I too am a landlady, not an enviable job at all. We also charge too little but at least they (it's a couple in a space meant really for one) pay the rent unlike some previous tenants who we had to ask to leave when they failed to pay.
Sometimes people take advantage or make assumptions.
I hope you find the right words to explain how you feel and about putting the rent back up or giving him notice.
Good luck.

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 05-Nov-19 15:09:57

Deni1963 It's Woodmouse49 again - sorry

Do you have a contract or agreement with him?

Daisymae Tue 05-Nov-19 14:23:01

You need to up his rent and lay down ground rules. This would be a good rent if he was your son. Sounds like he taking advantage. On the other hand you could just give him notice and get someone else with regular hours. At least you would get your house back.

jeanie99 Tue 05-Nov-19 12:49:04

Well what a cheek he will probably be earning more money working nights and if he isn't it's not your responsibility to support his shortfall.
As for cleaning up after him a definite no no, I think you need to have a talk.
I assume he is back to his room after eating and not sharing your home which is not on if you did not agree to this.

I personally think he is taking advantage of your good nature.
I would give him 2 months notice to find somewhere else saying to him it is not working out and you need him to leave.
Do put the notice in writing. change the locks if necessary if he doesn't move out.

Hetty58 Tue 05-Nov-19 12:29:59

I'd give him notice and get another lodger!

Calendargirl Tue 05-Nov-19 12:28:40

Sounds like it started to go pear-shaped when his job changed.

Deni1963 Tue 05-Nov-19 12:25:37

Thank you for the responses.
Initially he was thoughtful and cleaned after himself. Now its changed.
He comes in around 9 and sleeps for a few hours then up, cooking etc and sleeps again for a few hours before leaving just before 2am.
I'm feeling quite miserable.

jaylucy Tue 05-Nov-19 12:23:54

I'd have a quick chat with someone who has knowledge of tenant/ landlords rights first but really think you need to put his rent back up or you will be out of pocket.
I would certainly expect him to at least clear up after himself - you are not his mother! He should also either contribute to the cost of cleaning materials or buy his own.
I think you need to tell him that the way he is behaving at the moment is unacceptable - you can understand that he has changed his working hours etc, but he is a guest in your house and you are entitled to some peace and quiet on your day off.

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 05-Nov-19 12:21:25

You say he was a good tenant. Have his untidy habits just started? You say you had to lower his rent. It sounds like you had no choice.

I agree with FlexibleFriend.

I hope you have a contract/agreement with him. £90 a week for everything bar food is very very cheap.

Get the contract up dated now his requirements have changed.

Don't be put upon ! He's taking advantage of your 'soft' spot.

Canalboatgranma Tue 05-Nov-19 12:15:53

No, you are not being unfair, you thought the rent was fair to start with and now he is costing you more money. Are you thinking giving him notice?

FlexibleFriend Tue 05-Nov-19 12:12:27

Not only would I put his rent back up, I'd tell him to clean up after himself. If he doesn't like it he can always leave. His money worries shouldn't become yours. Tbf he must sleep for 8 of the hours he's at home otherwise he wouldn't be fit to drive.

Deni1963 Tue 05-Nov-19 11:37:14

My tenant has been here a year. He has a large double room furnished - all amenities and parking. I had to lower his rent by £25 a week to £90 about 6 months ago as he was struggling. He was a good tenant with a 8 - 5 pm job.
He has now changed jobs to work nights as a driver 2am to 9am.
He is therefore here all day every day, using more electric, cooking two to three times a day, and getting under my feet.
I'm not happy really as feel it will now up my bills.
Hes also not the cleanest of people and its left to me to clean, buy all household products .
AIBU to change his rent? It's like living with an unemployed person ? I work 3 full days a week and enjoyed one day a week to myself.