Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think this is a damn cheek!

(150 Posts)
phoenix Thu 07-Nov-19 18:40:47

Hello all, good wishes and pass the smelling salts to those who may have had a fit of the vapours at me posting on AIBUgrin (I think it may be the second time?)

Aaaanyway, had a call yesterday from J, a friend. We speak a couple of times a week, but havent actually seen each other for about 18 months, (even though we live reasonably close, about 20 minutes drive, which is reasonably close by Devon standards!) since they downsized to a tiny bungalow. (They keep threatening to invite us over, but it never happens, I have invited them to us, but J' s job involves very odd hours, getting up at 2am etc.

After the usual chit chat, me telling her about flooded bathroom on Monday sad, Mr P being unwell, losing days at work and therefore pay, asking after her father who has just had a knee replacement, she proceeded to tell me that it was her first grandchilds christening on Sunday December 1st, at 9am.

There is a gathering afterwards at the Memorial Hall, her daughter thought that bacon rolls and a bit of Christening cake would do. Sounds sensible.

Then she asked if I would be prepared to go to the Memorial Hall and cook the bacon shock I wouldn't be expected to do any of the clearing/cleaning after, just cook the bacon.

They would be happy to pay me, and take Mr P & I out for lunch after.

I was so caught off guard, that I was ( to use the vernacular) gobsmacked! Said I would get back to her.

I'm not prepared to do it, don't want to be tied in to being somewhere quite early on a Sunday morning, prefer to wander around in my PJ's drinking coffee!

However, as a gesture, I have contacted a local caterer who comes to my place of work and does bacon rolls from her van (not one with a cooking facility, iykwim) to ask her how she keeps the bacon hot.(J doesnt know this, will present her with the info)

Perhaps passing this info on to J will help wink

Sorry for the ramble, so AIBU?

Summerstorm Sat 09-Nov-19 13:46:43

Why not suggest ham sandwiches, that could be prepared ahead of time. With tea or coffee and christening cake to follow

trisher Sat 09-Nov-19 11:41:04

If she is a close friend and wanted help she could have invited you to the christening (even if you don't know the parents) and asked if you would give her a hand and I'm sure you would have. As it is she's treating you like a skivvy and saying you won't have to clear up and they'll buy you lunch is just adding more insult. Tell her to fry her own bacon because if you went you'd be tempted to spit in it.

Charleygirl5 Sat 09-Nov-19 11:25:07

phoenix has she forgotten that you still work and strangely you like to relax on a Sunday. It is entirely up to you whether you have a lie in or clean the place.

I think she has a bloody cheek.

phoenix Sat 09-Nov-19 10:58:35

Alexa I don't see how being on my own in the Memorial Hall kitchen grilling bacon counts as being "included"!

Actually, you are right about Sunday mornings being spent wandering around drinking coffee, but I don't do it naked! grin

Alexa Sat 09-Nov-19 10:50:16

Could your friend have thought she was doing you a favour? Sort of including you ? Why not tell her you prefer to spend a Sunday morning wandering around undressed drinking coffee?

Shropshirelass Sat 09-Nov-19 09:24:49

I think she has a cheek ringing you up to ask that when you do not see much of each other! YANBU in any way at all.

phoenix Sat 09-Nov-19 08:12:19

She pasteurises milk on a dairy farm!

Notthatoldyet9 Sat 09-Nov-19 08:10:40

Being nice i wonder if she thinks you need the money (mr p being ill)
Still think unacceptable due to no invite
P.s. what job does a granny do starting 2am!

Notthatoldyet9 Sat 09-Nov-19 08:08:17

Bacon butties for a breakfast christening i get although not very classy
But treating a friend like the caterer no
Being offered money even more of an insult
Not being invited totally unacceptable
Send card for child to show you at least have good manners

phoenix Sat 09-Nov-19 08:03:00

Classic I take your point, but it wasn't quite like that!

She started with the usual "how are you?" and after I'd told her about Mr P being ill, the problem with the bathroom etc, she said " oh, perhaps it's not a good time to ask you this" and then promptly did!

I had the distinct impression that asking me to do the bacon was the primary reason for the call!

HiPpyChick57 Sat 09-Nov-19 07:52:41

Please let us know her reaction when you tell her Phoenix.

I like the idea someone else mentioned about telling her you’ve now been INVITED to another christening!

gmarie Sat 09-Nov-19 07:11:49

It sounds odd. I wonder if she may feel you're as close as a sister and assumes you'd want to help. (???)

NfkDumpling Sat 09-Nov-19 07:08:08

Was payment mentioned?

annep1 Sat 09-Nov-19 05:08:50

I get your point. I have paid my son to do decorating rather than professionals.
But thats not the same as asking a friend to cook some bacon..for what a few pounds? If I thought it was being done to help me financially I would be insulted and embarrassed.
Not a great idea.

Classic Sat 09-Nov-19 03:47:37

In your conversation with her you were telling her about your cut in work hours, and subsequent loss in pay, and about your flooded bathroom with its associated expense.
So your friend saw a way in which she could help you, a little job, not too onerous, she could get a caterer in, who would clean up afterwards etc. but rather than spend the money with someone else she gave you the first refusal, sounds like a good friend to me.
In my family, if there is a little job to be done its always offered out to 'tender' within the family before the money is spent with an outsider. I doubt that your friend was trying to insult you, just looking for a way of helping with your cash flow problem.

FarNorth Fri 08-Nov-19 22:43:52

If you're on the desktop site, abbreviations are under 'Acronyms' at the top of the page.
Can't find them on the mobile site tho.

phoenix Fri 08-Nov-19 22:32:40

You can look them up!

AIBU = Am I being unreasonable, therefore, YANBU = You are not being

april30 Fri 08-Nov-19 21:08:07

i too wish somone would list all abbreviations i am at a loss

FarNorth Fri 08-Nov-19 20:57:36

attempts at persuasion followed by sulking

Who cares?
I'd be honest and say I don't want to do it.

Eva2 Fri 08-Nov-19 20:46:28

Cheeky sod.

Granless Fri 08-Nov-19 19:29:48

Callistemon - great idea. I’ll bring the beer.

phoenix Fri 08-Nov-19 19:20:48

Oh yes, Hetty58 I plan to make it very clear!

(But politely, of course!)

Hetty58 Fri 08-Nov-19 18:56:06

Do make sure that it's a definite, firm NO, won't you phoenix!

annep1 Fri 08-Nov-19 18:54:16

I wouldn't make up any excuse. I would just text ring back and say I can't do it, sorry.
What a damn cheek. Unbelievable. I don't know how you managed to be polite in response.

phoenix Fri 08-Nov-19 18:41:35

Many thanks for all the posts and the grin

GrannySquare if you read back, we have not actually been invited to the Christening, just asked to cook the bacon!

Do you know, I'm actually now looking forward to speaking to her and saying NO grin

Having a bet with myself as to what her reaction will be!