Gransnet forums

AIBU

Children's bras

(61 Posts)
boheminan Tue 12-Nov-19 19:32:00

The other day I had a wander round the local Peacock store with my daughter.

We stopped to browse the children's underwear area, where I was stopped in my tracks by a display of children's bras, tiny size 28"AA's. However what I can't get out of my mind is that the cups were padded. Why??? Is it just me being silly but do little girls need padded bras? Are they seen as some sort of armour against any knocks in the chest, or (more sinister in my thoughts) to make their little breasts appear bigger.

I do realise that some young women may have the tiny bodies of children, but these garments are being displayed in the children's clothing section and small sizes of bras are also displayed separately in the adults area.

Evie64 Thu 14-Nov-19 20:45:32

I didn't get a bra until there was something to put in it, about 13 years old. However, what I acknowledge is that young people nowadays are under such a lot of peer pressure, so if they feel at ease and "fit it", then go for it as the alternative is an unhappy child. What I don't agree with is clothes that sexualise children, short skits, belly tops etc. and being allowed to post pictures of themselves on Instagram, Facebook etc. What on earth are those parents thinking? It's like an open invitation for paedophiles to contact them isn't it?

Callistemon Thu 14-Nov-19 20:29:25

I don't think that nipples show through vests or those crop tops they insist on wearing.

MissAdventure Thu 14-Nov-19 18:31:02

I'm sure girls come in a variety of shapes, just like the rest of the population.

It makes sense to have adjustable features.

boheminan Thu 14-Nov-19 18:29:02

I've been following the conversation here with interest.

I associate padding in bras with women wanting to enhance their bust size and I'd not considered it as being a buffer against nipples showing. I understand where and why that could be an important factor for some women and girls but going from there, do children's bras also need adjustable straps and back fastenings? I still can't help feeling uncomfortable with the image of little girls wearing underwear 'just like mummies'....

Moocow Thu 14-Nov-19 18:26:34

Vests are no longer worn, maybe that's why - shame as they helped in the cold winter months and were a lot more comfortable. They would probably be cheeper too.

MissAdventure Thu 14-Nov-19 18:25:17

I don't see a problem with a padded bra.

Its not as if its on show.

Peoples underwear is their own business.

If girls prefer not to risk having their nipples showing through their clothes then that's absolutely fine.

Hetty58 Thu 14-Nov-19 18:22:09

I think it's very important to let them be just like their friends. We always had to have short haircuts (with a fringe) as girls. We were dressed in a smart, but rather old-fashioned way - and hated being different!

M0nica Thu 14-Nov-19 16:09:03

Well, since that has always been happening whether parents were aware of the possibility or not, the sexualising has been happening since children started stripping down and wearing swimming costumes, so putting bikini tops on small girls will not change the situation.

I always thought sexualising was overtly dressing a person, adult or child, in order to attract sexual attention, not to protect them from inappropriate attention.

timetogo2016 Thu 14-Nov-19 15:23:59

100% agree with Gingergirl.
Girls grow up too fast as it is there`s just no need.

Alexa Thu 14-Nov-19 11:49:10

Monica, what you describe is what sexualising is about

M0nica Thu 14-Nov-19 08:09:00

Its not sexualising, I actually think it is excessive prudishness and fear of sexualising - that some one on the beach is a paedophile and seeing a toddler exposing their chest area or genital area might lead to their child being abused in the offender's mind, if not actually.

Jaxie Thu 14-Nov-19 07:39:46

What about bikini tops worn by toddler girls on the beach. If that isn't sexualising a child I don't know what is.

4allweknow Thu 14-Nov-19 00:06:25

Think the padding is very light. If you feel it, it is about as thick as two pieces of cloth. Adult padded bras are different!, they can be very thick with the intention of boosting the size of the bust. Can understand the young girls wanting the padding to hide nipples.

Merryweather Wed 13-Nov-19 20:25:59

At 5 and 8 both of my girls hate changing for PE in a mixed room. Children know from an early age the differences between male and female. To be honest I'm not happy with co Ed changing. Some if the boys are real pervs already. So I personally think it's needed to protect their modesty as the teachers don't. Even at their catholic school!
FYI, a light padding is needed to stop young ladies nipples showing which are much larger and protrude further than boys. They are trying to protect themselves from being over-sexualised. And well done to them. Who wants all that testosterone driven attention.

jennilin Wed 13-Nov-19 19:22:26

Bras for children and adult fashion for children is inappropriate . let children enjoy their childhood . It's too short as it is

Callistemon Wed 13-Nov-19 19:17:47

Yes, I agree Luckygirl but tavimama mentioned pre-puberty girls who have just started Y3.

I hope my nearly 8 year old DGD will not be that self-conscious about herself.

Callistemon Wed 13-Nov-19 19:14:38

M0nica I realise some girls may start to develop at 7 but it is very rare.
I was responding to tavimama's post where she specified Y3 girls and boys.

Luckygirl Wed 13-Nov-19 19:10:07

I think we need to remember how important it is to adolescent girls to be like their peers.

I was a really skinny lass (please note the WAS!) and all my friends had bras - I was the odd one out. I was desperate to have a bra like all my friends. My Mum was very unsympathetic to this and it took a lot of persuasion for her to give in.

I made sure that all 3 of my DDs were listened to and the appropriate garment produced as wanted. I did not think of it in a sexual way, but just wanted them to be able to hold their head up amongst their peers.

Saggi Wed 13-Nov-19 19:08:19

Should be stopped.... it’s promoting child sexuality! Disgraceful!

Hetty58 Wed 13-Nov-19 18:46:09

My very thin and entirely flat chested (9 yr old) gd says she has to wear a bra top - because all her friends do!

Tedber Wed 13-Nov-19 18:38:09

I haven't seen any of the bras in question but assuming they aren't on the lines of 'Wonder bras' each to their own.

I was trying to think back to my first bra or indeed my daughters' first ones and I can't remember! I think I was more interested in wearing sheer stockings before my mum thought I was old enough and I went and bought a suspender belt with my pocket money. I can remember that vividly! mum wasn't happy at all and when I grew up and imagined having daughters... I wondered at what age THEY would demand to wear stockings, and what age I would think it appropriate! Of course it never happened because in meantime tights came in and actually NON of my daughters wanted to wear sheer tights or stockings - and still don't lol.

I don't think it is a huge issue t.b.h.

M0nica Wed 13-Nov-19 17:56:06

Callistemon, it is no different from girls and boys wearing underpants to conceal their genitals. Female breasts are part of a woman's sexual apparatus, once they start to develop it is best if they are covered in the way genitals are.

I know in principal we should all be able walk naked down the street without fear. In the same way we should be able to go on holiday with all our valuables on display in the front window and the front door left open, but the fact of the matter is, by doing that we are offering too much opportunity to those less well intentioned and I think there is a happy point between being recklessly trusting and obsessively protective. I think that point is reached when girls who have reached an age where there breasts are beginning to develop. At that point they should wear some kind of light underwear top.

CBBL Wed 13-Nov-19 17:26:37

At 11 I had a 34 18 34 figure and was sent home with a note saying that I should be provided with a bra (girls wore vests for PE in those days). My mother cobbled together (cutting and sewing) one of her own! I was mortified! I bought my own bra's once I left school and earned a wage. Until then, it was make do as best you can. I did my best to avoid all sports and exercise for as long as possible. I volunteered for example to run round the outside of the playing field or running track, claiming that I had not brought my kit, or was unwell, as often as possible. This only changed when I went to a school which had hot showers (unheard of in our house!).

Callistemon Wed 13-Nov-19 17:19:39

But that is putting the onus on girls to 'dress modestly' at a young age when they should, at 7, be carefree and unselfconscious about their bodies.

It's rather like saying boys/men cannot control themselves therefore women must cover themselves up.

The boys should have been reprimanded and told their behaviour was totally inappropriate.

They should be taught at a young age to respect each other.

tavimama Wed 13-Nov-19 17:09:25

As Mum to twin girls, both of whom were developing at a different rate (and still are), those tiny bras were a godsend.

As they went into junior school, they were taught the 'facts of life' from age 7 - leading to lots of immature behaviour from little boys when the children were changing for PE (all in the same classroom).

I tracked down some little bras in Tesco - and within one week all the girls in school had them.

Nothing wrong with preserving modesty - they grow up so quickly these days that, sadly, these things are almost a necessity.