Gransnet forums

AIBU

Early to bed...

(48 Posts)
watermeadow Thu 14-Nov-19 20:41:56

I’m tired of battling against my bodyclock, trying to stay up later and get up later. It’s antisocial and impractical to be wide awake at 5 then falling asleep at 9 but when I’m on my own it doesn’t matter, does it?
If you have eccentric ways do you indulge them or keep trying to conform?

Juliet27 Fri 15-Nov-19 08:27:24

(Sleep I think she meant)

calendargirl. ?

Harris27 Fri 15-Nov-19 08:31:53

Lovely reading these posts I’m a funny sleeper and yes go to bed a little later in the summer but in bed by ten normally as still working. I’ve been off work for a week now on holiday after an op and my body clock is haywire!

GrandmaMoira Fri 15-Nov-19 08:54:24

I'm an owl and think life is easier for larks. I always struggled to get up early for work and children to school. One of the best things about retirement is not being ruled by clocks.

BradfordLass72 Fri 15-Nov-19 09:03:31

I certainly do have eccentric ways but my sleep patterns have always been erratic, so that's my normal.
Sometimes, if I am dog-tired, I go to bed at 7pm and sleep until I wake up.

If I take my iron tablets (I often forget) I can be still firing on all cylinders at midnight but am still awake at first light with the Tui.

I see sunrise is at 6am at the moment - but first light is at least an hour before that where I live.

I don't always get up at that hour because it's my 'thinking time' (another eccentricity!)

M0nica Fri 15-Nov-19 10:00:29

I am a lark, up at 6.00, falling asleep by 10.00pm. DD had an unexpected rant at me recently about my failures as a mother when she was a teenager. When analysed it was clear that the real problem was that if I am a lark, she is an owl. Left to herself she wouldn'tgo to bed until 2.00pm and get up at mid day.

Therefore as she was hitting her peak activity rate between about 9.00pm and after midnight, I was hitting my zone down to sleeping level at 10.00.

Early morning: 6.00am to 8.00am, when I went to work and was at my brightest and best, she was deeply asleep.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 15-Nov-19 10:04:23

By nature I'm a morning person but find I wake up later if I don't sleep well - turning things over in my overactive mind.
I try to get washed and dressed before 9 - but here I am this morning after a restless night still in my dressing gown at just gone ten which makes me feel slightly ashamed.

annodomini Fri 15-Nov-19 10:06:44

A night owl for most of my life. I read in bed and usually fall asleep between midnight and 1am. Awake by 7 or 8 and often drop off again but try to be out of bed by 9. If I have an afternoon nap, it sometimes extends to 2 hours!

craftyone Fri 15-Nov-19 18:25:38

Another lark here, my body clock is winding down from 6 and I am ready to go up at 9. I listen to quiet radio in the dark, I set a radio timer for 40 minutes or so but I never hear it switch off. I might wake briefly at 3, loo break and I eat a small oatcake, then zonked out again to 5,30. I feel blessed to get the 7-8 hours albeit with a little break, I think it used to be called `two sleeps`

Iam64 Fri 15-Nov-19 19:05:38

I always enjoyed a couple of very early nights a week, say 9 pm, even in my 20's. The older I get, the earlier I'd like to go to bed on most evenings. We had a very busy day yesterday, then wee out at a concert (wonderful music) till 11pm so tonight I'm trying to hang on till 8pm (it's 7 as I write)

watermeadow Fri 15-Nov-19 19:55:37

Kartush,who survives on very little sleep, must get twice as much done each day as the rest of us. Two of my grandchildren are the same, never slept through a night until aged 7 or 8, never had a “bedtime” and need only half as much sleep as most children.
None of my own children are larks like me.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 15-Nov-19 20:09:30

Lark. Tottering to bed usually between 9-10, up between 5-6 - well, I usually read until 7 then get up. Just wish I had a teasmade then my day would be complete?

Urmstongran Fri 15-Nov-19 20:21:20

If I’ve had wine ???? I get into bed, don’t remember falling asleep and wake late.

Oh the joys of retirement!

Callistemon Fri 15-Nov-19 20:35:31

Urm
Four glasses shock

annep1 Fri 15-Nov-19 21:41:10

My sleep pattern is erratic due to CFS/ME. So I am often awake between 2-6pm and then sleep until 8ish.
Bed time varies can be any time between 6pm - 10pm.

grannyactivist Fri 15-Nov-19 23:40:53

I am by nature an owl, but during periods of ill health I can sleep the clock round, barely opening an eye to go to the loo. The Wonderful Man often sets off for work before 6am, so we have had separate rooms for years. I no longer disturb him during the night and he can get up with the lark as I sleep blissfully on. smile

merlotgran Fri 15-Nov-19 23:49:35

Urm Only four????

Only joking. grin

grannyactivist Sat 16-Nov-19 03:40:18

On the other hand, I also have frustrating periods when I’m ill and can’t stay asleep even when it’s silly o’clock in the morning. ? ? ?

Liaise Sat 16-Nov-19 05:42:18

I'm another lark. Anytime between 3am and 5am I will be making tea. It passes the time. Thank goodness there are others like me. It can be a lonely life in the dark hours. Many years ago in Wales we had a neighbour who did all her ironing at 2am.

BradfordLass72 Sat 16-Nov-19 06:00:56

I swear by audio books, one of which I always have beside my bed.
It turns itself off and if I wake in the night, I can re-listen.

Takes my mind off grimmer things, although I am glad to say some of those have recently been consigned to the 'past' bin grin

gt66 Sat 16-Nov-19 06:31:54

Another lark here. I've been awake since c.4.30 which seems to have become the norm for me the last few years. I go to bed to early to compensate, wake early the next day and so it goes on!

I've never been one to sleep in, but up until a few years ago, could rely on sleeping at least until 7 or 8am. Still it doesn't seem to affect me too much, but I do find the early hours so boring, especially in the winter. Thank goodness I came across gransnet recently!

Pantglas2 Sat 16-Nov-19 06:43:34

I was in bed by ten last night after a couple of g&ts with friends earlier in the evening but was awake at 5.45 so got up and made a cuppa. Once I have my 7-8 hours I rarely sleep any longer but I might have a snooze in the sun later this afternoon- because I can, now that I’m retired!

ladymuck Sat 16-Nov-19 06:58:26

Nice to know there are others with the same problem. I'm ready for bed by 9:30pm and ready to face the day at 5am. I live in a flat so have to creep about so I don't disturb my neighbours.