Gransnet forums

AIBU

Boris & Jeremy Knock Out ?

(49 Posts)
Bridgeit Tue 19-Nov-19 21:06:00

Any thoughts, any one ?

Yehbutnobut Wed 20-Nov-19 09:59:43

Johnson lies again. Just makes it up as he goes along.

Anniebach Wed 20-Nov-19 09:59:59

Been accused of bribing Brexit Party Candidates ?

Corbyn has been accused of being anti semetic ?

Do we take all accusation as truth ?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 20-Nov-19 10:00:30

chestnut like you I have always looked at You.gove polls in the past, but I am getting more and more concerned about their veracity.

pbs.twimg.com/media/EJxVtlrXkAMZMEy.jpg

Look at the time this was posted!

You have to ask yourself who owns and runs yougov. Then you need to ask yourself how is their target voter made up. I am no longer convinced by their findings.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 20-Nov-19 10:03:12

Look at this. As someone just said to me their headline figures do not make sense, when you look at the breakdown.

twitter.com/YouGov/status/1196911055408115717

trisher Wed 20-Nov-19 10:06:30

Wow Whitewavemark2 it seems polls are now taken before the event. Also apparently ignore all the 'don't knows' which seems a bit unethical.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 20-Nov-19 10:08:46

CCHQ Press
@BorisJohnson_MP

We apologise for any misunderstanding caused by the changes to our account last night. It was an honest attempt to mislead people into believing our lies and propaganda.
#FactCheckuk

Whitewavemark2 Wed 20-Nov-19 10:15:07

Conservative Press Office
May seem weird for us to say this but, if we’re honest, we reckon
@jeremycorbyn
was the clear winner. Pay no attention to misleading accounts.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 20-Nov-19 10:23:30

YouGov is trying to influence public opinion rather than simply reporting public opinion.

politicsandinsights.org/2019/11/20/opinion-polls-are-being-used-to-influence-public-opinion-rather-than-simply-measuring-it/

Yehbutnobut Wed 20-Nov-19 10:24:25

No way is Corbyn anti Semitic, that came across loud and clear in his reply.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 20-Nov-19 10:27:06

Was Johnson asked the same question?

Urmstongran Wed 20-Nov-19 10:39:28

It was said on Sky News this morning (interview with Dawn Butler) that a rabbi had quoted there were 103 cases of anti Semitism still on file with the Labour party. DB looked put out and said ‘I don’t know how you got hold of this - it’s classified information’.

Didn’t deny it though ....

Whitewavemark2 Wed 20-Nov-19 10:56:19

Bona fide fact-checking organisations condemned the move as “inappropriate” while a top EU politicians said it amounted to “dystopian” disinformation of the kind seen in authoritarian states.

“Dystopian. Not even [Hungarian far-right prime minister Viktor] Orban or the Polish PiS [ruling party] would dream this up, let alone do it,” said Guy Verhofstadt, the European parliament’s Brexit coordinator.

The account, usually used for press releases from Conservative Party HQ, normally bears the party’s logo and branding as the account of the “Official Conservative Party Press Office”.'

From the i.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 20-Nov-19 10:58:16

Full Fact
@FullFact
· 14h
It is inappropriate and misleading for the Conservative press office to rename their twitter account ‘factcheckUK’ during this debate. Please do not mistake it for an independent fact checking service such as @FullFact, @FactCheck or @FactCheckNI

trisher Wed 20-Nov-19 11:02:16

So what Urmstongran no one has ever said there are no anti-semitic people in the LP. Although a significant number of the allegations in the past have been from people who are not members of the LP. It has been and is being investigated. It's a pity other political parties are not putting their own houses in order.
Whitewavemark2 Johnson wasn't. I did think it would have been more balanced if the issue of Islamaphobia in the Tory party hd been raised with him. But it's become something no one wants to talk about.

Chestnut Wed 20-Nov-19 11:23:00

Regarding polls, I think they're all rubbish and I take no notice of them. I only quote them here because remainers seems to like quoting polls. The only thing that actually matters is the election result.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 20-Nov-19 16:09:07

This could also go on the impartial thread

Greg Herriett #GTTO
@greg_herriett

Britain Elects 33,000 votes
Corbyn 57% Johnson 28%

Paul Brand ITV 30,000 votes
Corbyn 78% Johnson 22%

Martin Lewis 23,000 votes
Corbyn 47% Johnson 25%

The Times 8,000 votes
Corbyn 63% Johnson 37%

YouGov 1,646 polled
Corbyn 49% Johnson 51%

BBC and ITV only quoting the YouGov

Chestnut Wed 20-Nov-19 16:18:57

I rest my case! It's the election result that counts. You can go into an endless spin over polls as much as you like, they prove nothing. The last election and the EU referendum proved that.

lemongrove Wed 20-Nov-19 16:21:22

For those of us on GN, most agree it was pretty even, but we weren’t asked by any poll! ?
I would have expected Corbyn to do better than Johnson, who doesn’t do well with off the cuff stuff when it comes to serious things.Whereas always having something to say is Corbyn's forte.
There will be another tv debate soon between them, on BBC.
All that matters of course, to either of them, is how the electorate actually votes on Dec 12 th.

crystaltipps Wed 20-Nov-19 16:22:28

Anyone can vote on YouGov, but they do sample by age/ demographic etc. You can sign up to do their surveys.
I didn’t waste an hour of my life watching the “debate”, - more likely to learn something new watching Masterchef. The set has been described as a cross between an S and M dungeon and a 1970s game show.

lemongrove Wed 20-Nov-19 16:22:30

I hope that in the next one, some heavyweight questions will be asked about the economy and defence.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 20-Nov-19 17:43:24

Let’s hope there is no more manipulation by CCHQ.

David Lammy
@DavidLammy
Grimly dystopian.
@JamesCleverly
lies about using the Conservative Party Press account to lie to the country by pretending it is fact-checking service calling out lies, when in fact it is spreading more lies. This is what George Orwell wrote about in 1984.

Luckygirl Wed 20-Nov-19 18:16:00

I managed to force myself to resist the temptation to watch this.

I am just mind-boggled that the Tories indulged in such a blatant piece of cheating and chicanery on twitter, changing their name to Factcheck UK. Did they really think that no-one would notice.

How sad it is that our political life has stooped so low.

grannyrebel7 Tue 26-Nov-19 07:30:57

Julie E. had trouble controlling Boris - she couldn't stop him talking. I think Fiona Bruce is a good political presenter as her voice is lower and therefore commands more gravity. I know she's BBC though and she did a great job on Friday with the four leaders Question Time debate.