Gransnet forums

AIBU

Laughing

(51 Posts)
Namsnanny Tue 26-Nov-19 13:53:16

I’m putting my tin hat on here before I even start but.....
Does anyone else get immediately tense a some styles of laughter?

Tense, irritated, feathers ruffled. You name it giggley repeated bursts of tittering (only way I can describe it) set my teeth on edge and my stomach clenching.
Why????

boodymum67 Sat 30-Nov-19 12:45:49

I love to laugh...but Jimmy Carr`s laugh is murderable....new word!

gulligranny Fri 29-Nov-19 19:43:46

I once attended a Retirement Seminar, sitting in to see whether it could be useful for the company I worked for at the time. It was for employees and spouses, and it was mostly men with their wives. One of the wives kept telling us that she was clearly SO much younger than everyone else; at some time she had obviously been told she had a "tinkling laugh", so it was used to bookend every remark. Amazing now to think that she actually got out alive ....

MollyPolly60 Fri 29-Nov-19 00:46:22

@geera

Elaine Paige chortles like Chris Tarrant it’s horrendous! So Fake and forced.

Anyone seen the ad for Silversurfers - 2 women laughing hysterically at each other. I HATE it, I’d never join their website.

Knotta Thu 28-Nov-19 18:49:41

Oh yes, agree with Geera - Elaine Paige's laugh is horrendous. Unfortunately I do like musical theatre so have to put up with the laugh to listen to the music.

Legs55 Thu 28-Nov-19 15:29:57

I love hearing laughter, I've been told I have a "filthy laugh" if you don't like it don't tell me rude jokes. I have a male friend with a wicked sense of humour, I often laugh until tears are running down my face when I'm with him or on the phone.

grannyactivist Thu 28-Nov-19 00:39:38

As a child the highlight of my year was a family day out from Manchester to Blackpool. I was travel sick and always threw up on the 'sharra' (charabanc) somewhere along the journey. When we arrived the family made a beeline for the Pleasure Beach, but I always felt too seedy to go on the rides. (We're getting to the point now, thank you for staying with me this far.)

My family would hare off, with a plan to meet up later, and leave me alone and feeling rather woebegone. But then..... I would find the Laughing Man (at different times he was a policeman or clown) and he and I would laugh it out of our systems. One time my mum was surprised to find a small crowd had gathered around me because I was laughing so hard that they were joining in. The funny thing is that I suspect it must have been coin operated, but I never remember having any money of my own at that age. Were people putting in money to make me laugh I wonder?

Anyway, I like to hear people laugh, and if they sound a bit odd, or snort, or guffaw it's all the same to me. grin

GardenerGran Wed 27-Nov-19 23:55:23

I hate it in the cinema when certain people laugh at things that aren’t really funny. It’s not like it’s everyone just maybe a couple of folks. Very distracting. But if I see someone laughing uncontrollably it makes me laugh as well.

geera Wed 27-Nov-19 22:00:08

BBC Radio 2 - Elaine Paige. The most awful, artificial, laugh of ANYONE EVER. I try to avoid being in the car on Sunday until her ghastly show is over.

NotTooOld Wed 27-Nov-19 18:13:17

Oh, we really need laughter, the more laughter the better, I say, except that horrible canned laughter you get on some TV shows.

threexnanny Wed 27-Nov-19 17:14:35

I'm reminded of Margo on 'The Good Life' who could not understand jokes even when they were explained to her.

All laughter is good although I find some female very shrill, high- pitched shreeks painful on the ears.

Ruby41 Wed 27-Nov-19 17:11:33

Totally agree about canned laughter - totally spoils a lot of radio comedy slots as far as I'm concerned.

Purplepoppies Wed 27-Nov-19 16:37:50

Jimmy Carr genuinely can't help the way he laughs. He laughs on the intake of breath and not as everyone else does on the out breath.
I once had a famous comedian comment on my laugh during a gig... very embarrassing, but it made me laugh more ?.
I don't like hearing canned laughter. There were a certain number of episodes of MASH made with no canned laughter, I love to watch those. But once they added the canned laughter it became unbearable for me.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 27-Nov-19 15:41:38

I don't usually find laughter annoying, but people who sniff all the time can drive me mad, as can children and adults who shout rather than talk. I frequently find myself saying, "You don't need to shout, I may be old, but I am not deaf!"

Frannygranny Wed 27-Nov-19 15:37:07

Shopping today I saw and heard a wee one chuckling with his mum. A lovely sound. It brought a smile to my face.

Patsy70 Wed 27-Nov-19 15:17:44

I love to hear genuine laughter, especially if it's children. I agree there is considerable 'canned' laughter around, and false giggling, which is irritating. However, having a really good laugh is the best form of medicine.

lizzypopbottle Wed 27-Nov-19 15:14:17

Jimmy Carr.... It sounds as if someone once said he had a funny laugh and it sounds so false.

Chestnut Wed 27-Nov-19 15:13:34

Can't stand Jimmy Carr or the Laughing Policeman.
Babies and toddlers are just the best!
I remember being a giggling teenager, where everything just seemed so funny! But a lot of that was infectious, you 'caught it' from your friend and set each other off.
What irritates me most are people who seem to be smiling all the time even when they're talking about something very sad. If you're talking about death or disaster stop smiling and try to look serious!

crazyH Wed 27-Nov-19 14:58:09

If you ask my baby grandson how Nan laughs, he says
"Caw, caw caw". I have a throaty laugh.

Annaram1 Wed 27-Nov-19 14:53:12

I once heard a man in a restaurant who laughed like a braying donkey.

Aepgirl Wed 27-Nov-19 14:50:00

I get really irritated with Olivia Colman’s giggle. How can such a fantastic actress have such a stupid giggle?

Sussexborn Wed 27-Nov-19 14:41:44

My extended family was/were(?) watching Morecombe & Wise one Christmas and I found my stepmother sitting on her own in the kitchen looking really sad. She told me that she had no sense of humour at all and it was very lonely for her when a group of others were rocking with laughter and she just didn’t see the joke. She had had a hard life and was very much the Cinderella of her extended family.

Did have a colleague who snorted at the end of each guffaw but wouldn’t dream of saying anything. Be horrible if she became self conscious and tried to restrict her laughter. It has to be spontaneous to mean anything.

Happysexagenarian Wed 27-Nov-19 13:24:34

I love to hear people laughing, babies and children especially. Though I sometimes find giggling teenage girls a bit irritating, it just sounds rather false and immature. My ability to find humour in all situations has occasionally caused me embarrassment eg. when something a vicar said at a funeral started me giggling and I had to creep quietly out of the church to compose myself. When I was a child I was always being told to "laugh quietly" loud laughter was not ladylike. And I remember my grandmother dragging me away from the saucy and very funny postcards on the seafront saying "They are not funny, they are very rude". I now have a collection of framed Donald McGill postcards in our hallway, our GC love them but some older visitors have looked disapprovingly at them and me! I hope I never lose my sense of humour or stop laughing.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 27-Nov-19 13:18:14

I love the sound of laughter but there's a type like a machine gun which makes the hackles rise.
Also the Sid James type which is creepy.

Madmaggie Wed 27-Nov-19 11:31:39

Jimmy Carrs laugh annoys me so much I just cannot watch any programme he's in - thank heavens for the off switch I say. We had an old vinyl of the laughing policeman when I was a child and I thought it terrible, those penny in the slot arcade laughing clowns scared me to bits too. Yet I love a good laugh, it sure is the best medicine. I watch all the golden oldies on tv Last of the Summer Wine, Yootha Joyce, faulty towers, on the buses etc and laugh along with Ernie who drove the fastest milkcart in the west. Its all personal taste.

Buttonjugs Wed 27-Nov-19 11:08:48

I find it irritating when people laugh at the end of a sentence they speak. I so want to ask them what is funny. I guess it’s nervous laughter but it’s really annoying.