Gransnet forums

AIBU

Feeling ever so slightly miffed

(58 Posts)
H1954 Sat 30-Nov-19 18:07:09

I shall no doubt be shot down in flames over this but here goes; we have not been together long and wanted to invite close family to a small party so both sides can get to know each other. One of the guests from my OH side has announced that they will be bringing a "third party" along and I'm feeling a bit miffed to be honest. They didn't even ask if it was ok, just assumed! I do not know this person who, apparently is very immature and has no social graces. I just wished they had asked if it was ok to bring her!!!!

Smileless2012 Mon 02-Dec-19 22:22:34

It would have been nice to ask you if it was OK H1954 rather than just assume. If they had asked you first, you'd probably have been too polite to say no but I understand why you're feeling slightly miffed.

notanan2 Mon 02-Dec-19 19:43:23

In DHs family, partners (including new/recent ones) are always included as an unwritten rule.

In my side only named invitees are welcome.

Neither side is "wrong" IMO just different. These are the things thar come up when you blend families.

SalsaQueen Mon 02-Dec-19 19:38:20

H1954 You're wrong - I have got good manners, thanks. You sound a bit ridiculous.

Hetty58 Mon 02-Dec-19 16:23:10

Of course, it was rude of them to invite somebody else without even asking. You don't want to be rude in return by making a fuss about it, though. Far better just to ignore and accept it.

Nightsky2 Mon 02-Dec-19 12:06:55

Oops H1954. Just read your post. Difficult one?.

Nightsky2 Mon 02-Dec-19 12:02:30

H1954. Does it really matter?. Be nice to your guest who might just feel a bit overwhelmed by the occasion. You might even find that you like her/him. She/he might be a lot of fun as they will be more relaxed than those who worry too much about how one holds their knife and fork. Enjoy your party and relax, sounds a teeny bit snobby to me.

Eloethan Mon 02-Dec-19 10:10:21

Sounds like she might liven things up a bit! I have to say that you do come across a bit Hyacinth Bucket. Is there an Onslow in your family who is kept under wraps?

H1954 Mon 02-Dec-19 07:50:33

SalsaQueen, I am certainly NOT a snob! Like many others on GN I was brought up to have manners and a sense of decorum, evidentially both sadly lacking in you!

I was miffed because I was TOLD the third party was attending rather than being asked if it was alright for them to come along. The "lack of social graces" was an opinion formed by myself and several others when we were recently in the company of the "plus one" who was loud, obnoxious, boisterous, in-drink and generally unpleasant! To that end, she remains a stranger to me as that is not the sort of person I would want to associate with under any circumstances.

The extra guest, providing she is sober on arrival, will be welcomed along with everyone else. Thank you GNetters for your comments and observations but the subject is now closed.

Eloethan Sun 01-Dec-19 23:22:34

It could be seen as a bit rude but if it were me I wouldn't think it worth worth getting het up about - I don't suppose an extra person is going to make much difference.

SalsaQueen Sun 01-Dec-19 22:35:27

Grandmablue Thanks for your input - but my answer was directed at the OP, so your opinion isn't relevant to me

Grandmablue Sun 01-Dec-19 20:24:46

Salsaqueen, it’s not snobby to expect someone. Uninvited to your own home, to behave in a certain manner. If one cannot conduct themselves in an appropriate way, then they would be swiftly asked to leave. It’s more concerning that you feel social graces are not to be adhered too than believing them to be snobby. Not a snob, just not a goat at the table!

EI4G Sun 01-Dec-19 17:10:54

Perhaps this family member is nervous of meeting you or perhaps nervous in social situations and needs his partner there for reassurance. Sounds like she could be fun. Enjoy.

Naty Sun 01-Dec-19 16:56:13

That's super annoying. Perhaps this third party is just lonely and needs company. Use this as an opportunity to make fun of this person behind closed doors. It can be entertaining, hopefully. And next time you'll know how to extend invites to his side. Best of luck!

Laurely Sun 01-Dec-19 15:33:01

'wanted to invite close family to a small party so both sides can get to know each other'.

Well, this is exactly what's happening. You are getting to know that this member from your OH side does this kind of thing. (S/he may not like going out on her/his own?)

Don't worry about it, and don't let it spoil your nice new relationship. I hope all goes well, and that the uninvited guest turns out to be fun.

ExperiencedNotOld Sun 01-Dec-19 14:49:56

You never met this extra person but you’ve allowed someone else’s valued judgement to cloud your opinion. (Shakes head)

GranE Sun 01-Dec-19 13:29:35

'this family member'

GranE Sun 01-Dec-19 13:29:13

I would take it as a positive sign that this family would like to bring their +1. I would say nothing and just make them welcome.

GoldenAge Sun 01-Dec-19 12:44:45

H1954 - Have you thought that maybe your OH's relative is also wanting to use this occasion to introduce his +1 to the rest of the family? From what you say this person comes with some reputation but you don't know how that reputation has been achieved, and it might be that this person wants to introduce her to a wider circle and sees your event as the place to make the point that she is important to him.
Actually, if it's a party rather than a dinner party I'm not sure that one extra body will make a difference, and there's always the chance that this relative won't turn up if he has to come without his +1 so you lose the opportunity to meet him in a relaxed gathering - and he may be not be confident in such a gathering without her anyway - he may not actually get on with the relatives who have been invited and need someone else to talk to. I would give both him and her the benefit of the doubt.

Madmaggie Sun 01-Dec-19 12:30:53

I don't think you're being "snobby" by using the phrase "social graces" as it covers a wide variety of behaviours. From grandpa taking his teeth out & popping them on the cloth to someone using serving platters as their personal ashtray to the person who rifles through your cupboards to pop that expensive bottle of unique booze you'd purposely hid into their large handbag - all of which I've witnessed. Wasn't me honest! As others have said be the consumate hostess, rise above it. Greet her warmly, I bet she can tell you a few secrets about yourother guests they might prefer kept hidden - could be illuminating hmm if they behave badly or petulantly then quietly tell them so & let them know you'd been told they'd do this by their own family. Give them a chance to prove everyone wrong. We have one in our extended family-a real me me me diva and worse with alcohol! Let us know how it pans out, I think that because you're newish to the family you want itto go well, its a lovely gesture. But remember to assign any bloopers & idiot guests to 'life's rich tapestry' I hope no one is setting you up with an unpredictable guest on purpose so just sail through and smile

Kalu Sun 01-Dec-19 11:51:38

Just be a gracious hostess.

Who knows, after a few glasses of cheer, others may lose their social graces too ?

annodomini Sun 01-Dec-19 11:37:26

Life's too short to be 'miffed' . All you can do is shrug your shoulders and make the best of it.

Riggie Sun 01-Dec-19 11:01:27

Id be miffed too. But then there is form on DHs side - we hosted a restaurant meal and turned up to find 3 extra people invited by mil without a word being said. And when I say hosted I do mean that its a meal where we pay for everyone...

nanasam Sun 01-Dec-19 10:53:28

The party is so both families can get to know each other. It doesn't sound to me like a very good start if you don't want someone there. At least the invited guest won't be turning up on the doorstep with someone you didn't know was coming. Be careful, you may alienate yourself from the rest of your partner's family.

I hope you have a great time, nevertheless.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 01-Dec-19 10:51:22

I don’t think you should be shot down in flames if you are feeling put out then say you would like to invite so n so on a different occasion, but for me I like to make up my own mind about ppl, I don’t really go by hearsay, nine times out of ten I find them fun and a laugh, All sorts make the world go round

Millie22 Sun 01-Dec-19 10:50:14

I'm not sure what you mean by 'social graces'. Is it possible that she has learning difficulties or something like that which could make a social occasion more challenging.