Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to be so up and down?

(98 Posts)
EllaKeat Wed 11-Dec-19 17:39:31

I had breast cancer 10 years ago. I had surgery, chemo and radiotherapy.
I had all of my lymph nodes tested - 23/24 affected.
Then I had BC on the other breast. I had surgery and reconstruction on both breasts, then another bout of chemo.
Then I had ovarian cancer and had an oopherectomy.
I was told at that point that I was stage 4.
For six/seven years I have been symptom free.
Now I am not.

I have been told that my cancer has spread to my bones (spine), and more frighteningly, my liver.

Oncologist is offering pain relief, as and when necessary. There is nothing more to be done.

I was told this yesterday, but already knew it, I just knew something was not right.

I feel fabulous. Absolutely nothing wrong with me. I have had donkey day today, mucking out, sorting donkeys, llamas, goats, chickens and rabbits. All as normal.

Then it hits. I wont be here next Christmas. I dont know how to feel.
No one can tell me. Obviously, they are dead. (Apologies for the black humour).
80% of the time I am me, normal.
20% of the time I am a quivering wreck.

I look at my children, my grandchildren, and think I will not be a part of their story soon.

I actually cope very well. Its just that when it hits, it hits hard.

Apologies to you all, I KNOW there is nothing you can say to make it better, I just needed to let it out.

B9exchange Wed 08-Jan-20 23:15:27

Only just found this thread, you are indeed one amazing lady, lost in awe for your attitude. No thoughts I could possibly give, but just wanted to know I am willing you on. flowers and warm hugs

TrendyNannie6 Wed 08-Jan-20 21:05:22

Sending you a big virtual hug so sorry to hear this

EllaKeat Wed 08-Jan-20 20:49:54

Do you know, New Years Eve was wonderful. We (family of 6) ate, drank, played board games, laughed and cried our way into 2020.

Thoroughly enjoyable!

love0c Wed 08-Jan-20 20:38:24

Just want to say Hi EllaKeat. Hope you are feeling ok at the moment. You posted you were dreading New Year. Sending love and hugs smile

EllaKeat Wed 08-Jan-20 19:58:10

Thank you so much grannymy and Marydoll, you will never really know how much your messages mean.
I could not find this thread, so started a new one, but I do appreciate your love and care, more than I can articulate.
For some reason it is warming.

God, how soppy ?

grannymy Wed 08-Jan-20 19:48:58

Found this thanks to Marydoll.

Ellakeat you have come through so much. So much bravery, although you might not think so at this moment in time. I stood next to someone in the pharmacy today whilst waiting for my prescription and the woman was openly talking to the assistant telling her about how her cancer had spread to so many parts of her body. She looked good! Where there is life there is hope and I can understand why it must just hit you at times. You actually sound such a strong character and this will help you through. I wish you all the very best xxx

silverlining48 Sun 29-Dec-19 22:30:42

Shoukd have made that 2 cakes and 3 glasses of wine. flowers

silverlining48 Sun 29-Dec-19 22:27:32

Ella I am glad you are ok, and you are more than entitled to your 'moment'. You are brave and strong, keep on keeping on, but scream and shout if you need to, and you can always drop into GNet.

Think you mentioned you have a birthday coming up, hope you have a good one and enjoy it, whatever you do. cupcake
wine

EllaKeat Sun 29-Dec-19 16:20:53

@silverlining48 thank you for asking, I am fine!
Every day I have a moment. A 'what's the point' moment, but it passes and I crack on.

As the title.of the thread says, I am up and down, but I don't think the time of year is helping either!
Let's get to a crappy, rainy February day and I bet the wobble goes?

I am just dreading New Year?

silverlining48 Sun 29-Dec-19 15:44:46

How are you today Ella. sunshine

Callistemon Sat 28-Dec-19 19:10:58

a penis with a bobble hat
grin

Come to think of it, so do DGD's!

I will hold that thought

EllaKeat Sat 28-Dec-19 19:04:31

@Callistemon ???

Yes! Will draw rude things on it too.

Sorry everyone, bit of a wobble.

Come on GN , get it deleted ?

If my grand daughter has been here, she would have drawn a snowman on it. Her snowman tends to resemble a penis with a bobble hat, so may have been appropriate?

NannyDee Sat 28-Dec-19 19:03:19

Ellakeat, you are being very strong at such a difficult time, In November my husband was told that there could be no more chemo, he has bowel cancer which has spread to his lungs and liver it was a shock though not completely unexpected, he has been ill for two years. He is now under the care of our local Macmillan unit. It is a difficult time but we are trying to live as normally as possible and just take one day at a time.

I wish you well through your journey, stay strong and make those memories ?

QuaintIrene Sat 28-Dec-19 18:55:24

I have just found your thread, Ella.
I can only send my love, thoughts and prayers.
You are truly remarkable ?? x

Callistemon Sat 28-Dec-19 18:55:15

If you want my post deleted too, please ask GNHQ

flowers

Callistemon Sat 28-Dec-19 18:54:03

Re your letter Ella, I would be tempted to get a marker pen and write Sod off the lot of you on it.

silverlining48 Sat 28-Dec-19 18:46:23

Ella, no words but sending love x

EllaKeat Sat 28-Dec-19 18:41:44

Thank you, I have reported.

Sorry, bit of a mess at moment ?

Marydoll Sat 28-Dec-19 18:38:27

Hi there. Use the 'Report' button, beside the comment and GNHQ will delete if for you.
I'm so sorry that this letter came to you. ?

EllaKeat Sat 28-Dec-19 18:03:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EllaKeat Sat 28-Dec-19 18:02:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Marydoll Thu 26-Dec-19 18:33:22

EllaKeat, what a remarkable woman you are! flowers.

EllaKeat Thu 26-Dec-19 18:09:52

I just wanted to check in and say thank you all for your wonderful posts?

Since I was last here I have been working to get my affairs in order, which feels bizarre because I dont feel ill?

On the bright side, I have also booked a five bedroomed lodge for a family holiday, so something to look forward to, and DH and I are jetting off in two weeks for some winter sun.

Its funny, but it is the small things that really get to you. My passport runs out next November. I will never need another one. Bloody ouch!

My biggest job is to get this house sold and Dh settled into a smaller place closer to friends. I know he would manage (just) if events overtake us, but it gives me a project to work on as much as anything else!

It is my birthday on 31st, I will be 59, my wonderful grandaughter who is 5 years old is making me a Mermaid Cake. Lets just hope it us edible?

I have had a lovely Christmas, hope everyone else has too, and all the best for 2020?

Pudding123 Thu 26-Dec-19 16:53:11

I have read your post twice today and it has made me feel both very sad and in awe of you.My mum died at 74 having had rheumatoid arthritis from being 30, she worked until she was 60 and I saw her in great pain every morning until her tablets made the pain more bearable,she never complained but just got on with it,in the last 3 years of her life she was in terrible pain in her hands, feet, spine and neck she had no life to speak of and told me that "I think I am ready for my box" she was very practical and brave ..She died eight months later after a fall which I know she engineered.I miss her every day as does my daughter who was 9 at the time .Your post reminded me of my mum ,she could have written it.You will always be remembered and loved.I hope you remain free from pain for a long time and remain upbeat I think you are amazing.

Nanna58 Thu 19-Dec-19 16:38:46

I think you sound the most amazing woman, and whatever happens I doubt your family will ever think otherwise.