Gransnet forums

AIBU

Tipping in restaurants - what's your criteria?

(82 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Sat 14-Dec-19 22:32:39

Just been for a Christmas meal with a group of friends. The meal was lovely but we were kept waiting about 20 mins for the starters. I didn't have one so it didn't really bother me. The other courses were prompt. However, when the bill came one member of our party refused to give a tip because of the wait. His argument being that if poor service was tipped then there wouldn't be a need to try and improve it. I hadn't thought of it like that as I always tip or not depending on the attitude of the waitress/ waiter. What does everyone else think?

Maggiemaybe Mon 16-Dec-19 13:12:50

Today 12:37 Stella14

Excellent post, Stella.

notanan2 Mon 16-Dec-19 14:45:01

Iā€™d be unhappy if my food came to quickly as it would mean it must have been microwaved!

Or they've over booked the table and want to shoo you out for the next sitting with no chatting/digesting time!

CanadianGran Mon 16-Dec-19 23:16:40

When going with a group, we will either request separate tabs right from the start so the staff know who to bill, or we will often pay the whole tab if we haven't seen a group for quite a while and like to treat.

There's nothing worse than either arguing or being embarrassed over nit-picking the bill or the tip. We have certain acquaintances who we know to be fussy over tipping, and go over the bill like an accountant at year-end.
We tend to have them over for dinner rather than meet them at a restaurant.

Canadians have now started to go more to the American method of tipping; now if there are groups over 6 the restaurant will automatically add an 18% tip.
When they hand you the credit or debit card terminal, the automatic choices are 15%, 18% or 20%.

We will almost always add 15%, unless the service is particularly bad, then we will reduce it or on very rare occasion, not leave a tip at all.

Remember also, the time to table in your case is usually caused by the kitchen, not the wait staff. And 20 minutes is perfectly reasonable amount of time IMO.

BradfordLass72 Tue 17-Dec-19 03:07:17

Tipping of any service provider is not expected in New Zealand.

mumofmadboys Tue 17-Dec-19 03:38:59

I always pay bill by card and tip by cash

Gfplux Tue 17-Dec-19 15:21:25

We live in Luxembourg.
We tip one euro per head for good service.
At a very expensive resteraunt we would tip five euros for good service.
I have to say the service everywhere is normally very good.
Waiting tables is a career option here and reasonably well paid.