Gransnet forums

AIBU

Trusting an Actor? Would you know ?

(40 Posts)
Bridgeit Thu 19-Dec-19 10:37:15

I have just watched a film clip showing the brilliant actress Helen Mirren.
It occurred to me that the talent of some actors , professional or amateur could be problematic within a relationship , how would you know if their words & actions we real or not.?
Is there an Thespian lurking in you or one of your loved ones. ?

BradfordLass72 Fri 20-Dec-19 21:54:23

All the world's a stage and each person, in their time, plays many parts....

Can't see any good reason why someone who has chosen acting as a career, should not be trusted. We can all be capable of fooling others.

Reminds me of that despicable Jeffrey Archer trial where it was implied that a sex worker, because of her profession, was an untrustworthy liar. Grrrrrr

BlueSapphire Fri 20-Dec-19 21:46:57

Meant to add that acting is just their job and their way to make a living. Runs in the family, mother was an actor, and uncle is a film and tv director.

BlueSapphire Fri 20-Dec-19 21:40:55

I know personally two professional actors (father and son!), who are both lovely people, and am sure they are both genuine people and put nothing on. Have actually known the son since he was 5 or 6 as he was one of DS's best friends at school.

Sussexborn Fri 20-Dec-19 19:28:57

Very thought provoking. I guess most of us act at least some of the time. Hopefully we gradually learn discernment over the years but even then we can still be taken in given the right circumstance.

My OH was a lot more trusting than I am. He’s learned the hard way to be more cautious. Perhaps a bumpy childhood is better preparation for life?

Lizbethann55 Fri 20-Dec-19 18:03:18

My son is a professional actor. No. You haven't seen him on the tele as he does entirely stage work. He is one of the loveliest sweetest people you could ever meet. A true gentleman. He has just got engaged to a truly wonderful young woman that we all adore. Acting is a job. Admittedly a job he loves, but just a job all the same. There is no "side" to him. The young man we know and love is not the same as the characters he sometimes plays. I expect all actors are the same!

maddyone Fri 20-Dec-19 17:25:08

My son in law is an actor, though not at all famous and he works for a small, travelling company directing and overseeing as well as doing some small parts of actually acting. Anyway, he’s a most unassuming man and very genuine and kind. I don’t believe he’s acting in his personal life at all.

EllanVannin Fri 20-Dec-19 15:21:53

I can usually read people too ! What a good job I'm not always an outspoken person or I'd have upset a few in my time.
I find them a total embarrassment even if others don't ( because they're so taken-in by them)

Hellsgrandad Fri 20-Dec-19 15:09:53

I'm an actor, and I know that I could never have got away with telling porkies in my marriage even if I'd wanted to. My wife, who I loved dearly, could read me like a book and she always knew the difference between the real me and the actor.

Binkiebonk Fri 20-Dec-19 14:42:14

What a bizarre question!

Hetty58 Fri 20-Dec-19 14:31:03

'How would you know if their words & actions were real or not? I think that applies to everybody - unless you know them really well!

grandtanteJE65 Fri 20-Dec-19 14:27:28

Acting is a profession and like all professions some who practise it are good at it, while others are not.

A bad actor might just act in his or her normal life; a good actor doesn't.

It is extremely hurtful to any member of the acting profession to suggest that it would be hard to trust and actor in their private life.

In Moliere's day actors were not permitted Christian burial, it is sad to realise that even today some people obviously feel they cannot be trusted.

Would you suspect a professional musician or ballet dancer of trying to fool you about their feelings? They are used to expressing emotion professionally too.

Sawsage2 Fri 20-Dec-19 14:05:08

Why put up with him? Yes it's difficult to move on but you'll have freedom.

Jans3 Fri 20-Dec-19 13:35:21

My late husband was a wonderful actor. He would visit his mistress in the morning, come back have lunch with me and act completely normally like nothing was untoward

Meggymoos Fri 20-Dec-19 13:25:31

My OH is a good actor ! To all outside, he is the life and soul of the party. At home he is mean, puts us down and has angry outbursts..noone would ever believe

jannxxx Fri 20-Dec-19 12:29:18

we have an actor in our family and he's a great man genuine and loyal, but what he's like in a relationship who knows, maybe they can't stop themselves from acting

Sparklefizz Fri 20-Dec-19 11:29:40

I worked for a compulsive liar. Once he uttered the words in his mind they were true

To be a good liar - or a conman - (or a spy, I suppose) the person has to believe those lies in order to act them out and be convincing. I guess acting comes into it as well.

blondenana Fri 20-Dec-19 11:25:52

Some people are good actors when they are not real actors,
Usually very good liars too

Tigertooth Fri 20-Dec-19 11:00:08

Just because they’ve chosen acting as a career doesn’t mean they always act, just as there are many brilliant actors, liars and manipulators who don’t do it for a career, makes no difference at all imo.

Sussexborn Fri 20-Dec-19 00:30:09

I worked for a compulsive liar. Once he uttered the words in his mind they were true.

Gemini1789 Fri 20-Dec-19 00:22:07

Me too timetogo . I agree. Just what I thought when I first saw her.

Callistemon Fri 20-Dec-19 00:17:59

Oh no, another thread turning into a Meghan bashing exercise.

Yes, we have more than one actor in the family.
They're just normal people at home, it's a job and they have a script.

Yorksha Fri 20-Dec-19 00:12:11

timetogo2016.... I thought that too about the Megan. At first I was pleased for Harry. But I now see a very manipulative side to her, she has Harry eating out of her hand. It worried me at how easily she abandoned her father. He may not have handled things well. But look at what he's done for her. It's cruel.

timetogo2016 Thu 19-Dec-19 18:25:04

That`s my worry about Megan tbh.
An American actress married to our lovely Prince Harry.
I hope to god I am wrong.

Smileless2012 Thu 19-Dec-19 18:11:57

My thoughts too MissA. I've seen more than one or two award winning performances over the years from people who perhaps missed their calling to the stage.

M0nica Thu 19-Dec-19 18:03:07

Chestnut, No he isn't a good actor. If he was, we wouldn't realise he was doing it. As it is we all know that he was always hiding behind a mask, and continues to do so.

A typical amateur.