Gransnet forums

AIBU

Standing at a supermarket checkout

(80 Posts)
Tigerdove Sun 22-Dec-19 23:24:34

Are you ever surprised by the contents of other people’s shopping trolleys? Today I saw one that just had 4 ornamental reindeer (£22 each) and 12 boxes of cling film!!

A few months ago I saw a very elderly lady with just 6 tins of brush cleaner.

netflixfan Mon 23-Dec-19 11:00:25

Cautionary tale - I followed a lady at the check out whose trolley was full of booze of all kinds (not Christmas) so being friendly from the north passing the time of day I said ooh having a party? I was mortified when she replied it's for the wake of daughters funeral tomorrow. Poor woman, stupid me. ?

jenpax Mon 23-Dec-19 11:07:10

I must be very boring as I always assume that the person is buying for a business or charity etc if it’s bulk buys or a party if its booze and crisps!
I used to buy the biscuits and milk for our local baby and toddler group when my DD were tiny, and so my trolley was just biscuits, squash, and milk!

craftyone Mon 23-Dec-19 11:17:41

I tootled down to the local shops on my bike this morning, small market town. It was steady but certainly not manic. I bought some fruit and thought to myself that I would be treating these small shops like my larder next year, there was plentiful fresh lovely veg. I did hear her say that most would be gone by tonight

Although on my own, I too have stocked up and given myself a talking too this morning. No need for over- storing at all. Hard to let go of sensible old ways

3nanny6 Mon 23-Dec-19 11:31:03

I sometimes look and see a couple with two trolleys one trolley full of bottled water and diet cola and another trolley full of loaves of bread just wonder what they are doing with it all.

Millie22 Mon 23-Dec-19 11:42:49

I was also in m&s food yday and some people were just throwing things into their trolleys. I had three items. I bet a lot of the food doesn't even get used.

Granny23 Mon 23-Dec-19 11:59:58

I do my main, sensible, shop in Aldi, but then pop into Asda, across the road, to buy their Danish Pastries, Cream Cakes, etc. I always feel the need at the checkout to tell the cashier that I have already bought meat, fish, fruit and veg and that the bakery items are for visiting Grandbairns tchblush

Maccyt1955 Mon 23-Dec-19 12:02:38

I have loved this post. Some very funny stories.
Yes it is fascinating looking in people’s trolling, but I try not to as I think it is rude.
I hate my own trolley being scrutinised, and I also hate people who spend ages packing and then rummaging for their purse.
So to avoid this, I just throw everything back into my trolley post check out and pack my bags in an orderly fashion when I get back to the car.
Some people might think I am mad, but it works for me!

Maccyt1955 Mon 23-Dec-19 12:03:38

Oh god...I meant trollies not trolling!

GagaJo Mon 23-Dec-19 12:06:59

Grandson LOVED the raspberries (19 packets, down to 10p each!). He looked like Hannibal Lecter by the time he'd done.

I also had raspberries for dinner. Yum, yum, yum.

Callistemon Mon 23-Dec-19 12:08:01

I found some raspberries in the freezer, thank goodness, as DH has just come home and said there would be no 'nipping down to the supermarket today.
The traffic jams are horrendous apparently.

MamaCaz Mon 23-Dec-19 12:08:10

When I was working in an outdoor activities centre, we would often pick up things needed at the centre while doing our own shopping.
Just saying, in case any of you have ever wondered why someone in the queue has half a dozen toilet brushes in their trolley, or something equally odd !grin

Callistemon Mon 23-Dec-19 12:08:35

Not even for 10p a packet!

Grammaretto Mon 23-Dec-19 12:14:08

I once saw a trolley full of pot-noodles and bottles of vodka.
The young woman pushing it looked about 8 months pregnant. sad

nipsmum Mon 23-Dec-19 13:13:55

People who run eating establishments regularly use our Morrisons. Last weekend there was a young
Man with 4 dozen pairs of cos lettuce going through the same checkout as me. He had just cleared the shelf completely. The best was someone with 2 large packets of cornflakes and 6 time of Brasso.!!!!!

Calendargirl Mon 23-Dec-19 13:17:29

I had a Saturday job in a greengrocer’s shop, 1968/1969, they also had a high class baker’s shop.
Can remember that Christmas the owner commenting on how much bread they had sold. “Most of it will end up being fed to the birds” she said.
This was before most people had freezers, and the shops stayed closed for longer.
Why oh why do folk buy so much nowadays? Tesco is open again Boxing Day.

vinasol Mon 23-Dec-19 13:22:07

A friend of mines was standing in the queue with her basket when an elderly man walked up to her a took a packet of her crisps and walked off with them!

Another friend had her turkey pinched from her trolley in M&S.

madcatwoman Mon 23-Dec-19 13:24:33

For what it's worth, I think: Sensible Lady! Have a good Christmas.

madcatwoman Mon 23-Dec-19 13:25:18

Sorry! Sent to the wrong person! Oh dear!!!!

quizqueen Mon 23-Dec-19 13:40:39

Customers who scoop up multiple packets of reduced products are very greedy, in my opinion, and have no consideration for other customers who may want to buy (or sometimes can only afford to buy) things which have been reduced. I wonder, if there was a poll, whether more Labour or Tory supporters would make a habit of doing that!!!!!

Caro57 Mon 23-Dec-19 14:16:33

We buy tins of sardines - in tomato sauce - by the gross, have been known to have 10 trays I.e. 240 tins - it raises a few eyebrows! P.S. for the dogs - not us ?

Callistemon Mon 23-Dec-19 14:19:54

I wondered if someone buying up loaves of bread is providing afternoon teas for lonely, elderly people? Someone I know does that.

felice Mon 23-Dec-19 14:32:55

Although retired now I still do a lot of events for the various organisations I am involved with.
One week in the summer I had 2 events, 120 and 75 people within a week, both Cheese, Charcuterie and salads.
I was with SO and we had a trolley full of Cheeses, Cold Meats and salad stuff. really full.
The staff all know me and were joking had I warned the departments I was coming. I had actually.
Goodness knows what the shoppers thought. No one lost out as they were stocking up behind me and I had ordered in bulk for the normal stuff.
The Belgians are very careful with money and the young man in front of me just paid for 36€ of his shopping with vouchers, no one complained.

BelindaB Mon 23-Dec-19 14:49:14

I, also, pack at the car! It means I'm through the checkout in record time. I loathe being behind the "Shoppers from God", i.e those that think we all have nothing better to do than wait for them.

A few years ago (before I retired) I used to whizz out to the local Safeway during my lunchhour - which was not a hour, by the way. One time I was behind one of the time wasters who must have packed, unpacked and repacked her tiny amount of shopping 6 times before she started to look for her purse...at which point I lost it. I nodded to the cashier, walked through to the other side and snapped my bag open ready to pack. The cashier picked up my first item and Idiot Woman said "you are very rude!" At which point she got what my kids used to call The Death Stare and I simply said "This isn't rude - it's rushed - but if you want, I can do rude..." She shot out of the store like a bullet. It's self- importance and arrogance, nothing else.

Grammaretto Mon 23-Dec-19 16:48:44

Tesco near us have an Alzheimer friendly checkout now. It's a slow checkout where customers are encouraged to chat.
The speedy self service tills are perfect for people in a hurry BelindaB

Daisyboots Mon 23-Dec-19 17:13:10

We all know the over full trolleys and the long queues at the check outs in the UK supermarkets at this time of year and can neverstand why people need to buy so much at once. Today my DH persuaded me to go for a drive in the car to a French supermarket about 30km away. I live their unsalted butter and French style ham. Not able to walk around the supermarket I sat in the car and people watched. Not one trolley came out filled to the gunnels. Most were no more than half full. What a difference in countries. Obviously because most people here in Portugal dont have as much money to waste.