Gransnet forums

AIBU

Standing at a supermarket checkout

(80 Posts)
Tigerdove Sun 22-Dec-19 23:24:34

Are you ever surprised by the contents of other people’s shopping trolleys? Today I saw one that just had 4 ornamental reindeer (£22 each) and 12 boxes of cling film!!

A few months ago I saw a very elderly lady with just 6 tins of brush cleaner.

MamaCaz Sun 29-Dec-19 19:25:05

This thread came to mind today when I was in Aldi, when I saw that the young woman ahead of me had 15 boxes of Camembert cheese in her basket!

At some point, our eyes met, so I grinned, nodded at the cheeses and laughingly said "I'm not even going to ask". She grinned back and explained that she needed them to put in bread - if I understood correctly, she bakes them in the bread, which is then dipped in them. She even told me which bakery I could buy them from. Sounded lovely, I have to say! smile

MamaCaz Sun 29-Dec-19 19:16:43

On one occasion, I had to confirm that I was over 18 when buying a cross stitch kit online, because it contained a needle.
That's only happened the once though, so I presume the seller was being just a tad (to put it mildly) over-cautious!

Callistemon Sun 29-Dec-19 18:49:31

A sparkly candle fountain for a cake burnt my worktop!
Very dangerous.

Callistemon Sun 29-Dec-19 18:48:30

Yes, I have bought trays strawberries for jam making.

But I wouldn't clear the shelves

bikergran Sun 29-Dec-19 18:00:03

Quite right about the knife selling
you have to be 18 but! you have to look 25 at our supermarket its called Challenge 25.

Other items you will be age challenged is

Lighter fuel
The lighter ignition thingies
The sparkly fountain candles for birthday cakes
plastic or metal knives
Party poppers
Brandy Cream! hmm
Liquors
Any chockies that mention alcohol
Halloween scooper out kits
Nail file kits containing scissors (that remind me Edward Scissor hands is on at some time)
X box games/etc dvds
Fireworks
Matches

Lot of people think the challenge is just for Alcohol and knives but the list is endless..

lots of other items.

grannypiper Sun 29-Dec-19 16:57:29

MACCYt i wish everyone was like you and i really wish people would "get" how Lidl works,put your shopping on the checkout, once it has been scanned put it back into the trolley THEN take it to the shelf in front of the window and pack it into the bags ! There is a reason the checkouts are small

yggdrasil Sun 29-Dec-19 16:07:04

Callistemon: may be jam making
Fennel: Yes there are rules for buying knives. You have to be over 18 & have ID to prove it. This even applies when you buy a veg knife from Amazon. The deliverer has to check & sign that he has seen the ID

Callistemon Sun 29-Dec-19 14:59:46

I hope no-one got a tummy ache from too many raspberries.
Or perhaps they wanted to get rid of their kidney stones.

Fennel Sun 29-Dec-19 12:52:39

The young man in front of me this morning wanted to buy just a long bladed knife.
Thankfully the man on the till called for confirmation that it was ok to sell it. It seemed to be complicated so he let me go ahead through the till.
Maybe there are strict regs. on selling things like that - I bought some very sharp kitchen scissors at John Lewis and they couldn't be removed from the display board without a member of staff doing it.

Mamie792 Sun 29-Dec-19 07:51:01

The thread oh yes someone has an awful lot of raspberries at 10p a box in their trolley .My question why would you take every pack and how many would need to go in the bin . Just a thought Tedber - I may snooze and lose but would feel that I’d given someone else a chance

Tedber Sat 28-Dec-19 09:44:54

Well Mamie “you snooze you lose”. unless there were queues of people hoping to get their hands on the rapsps then who knows if they would have sold or not? (I don’t like them! So many more like me wouldn’t have them if they were free).

What was the thread about again? Oh yes being curious about other people’s trollies. I am definitely a “trolley watcher” ?. I would be wondering IF they were going to be making jam? Or a heavily filled trifle with the raspberries. ?.

Mamie792 Sat 28-Dec-19 09:12:02

Well said Quizqueen . Taking 19 packets of raspberries is a little greedy . Sure there must be families who would have appreciated being able to buy, what is in fact an out of season fruit, for 10p and give their little ones something of a treat which at the normal price they may not be able to afford. Surely a small child could not get through that number of raspberries and assume at 10p they must have been more than close to the end of their shelf life so no good the next day. Raisins probably have as much sugar as sweets !!!!

timetogo2016 Fri 27-Dec-19 13:31:43

I seem drawn to other peoples trolleys.
And wonder why on earth do you need all those toilet rolls.
Then spot the crappy food they hide under them.

Winniewit Thu 26-Dec-19 22:46:09

I always see something in another person's trolley that looks delicious but I can never find it on the shelves

popsis71 Tue 24-Dec-19 10:09:46

A nun, in a supermarket queue /wondering what it's like /to buy groceries for two. R McGough.

allule Tue 24-Dec-19 09:55:36

I'm sure I bought a lot less when I saw it all in the trolley. It's too late to cut back when the delivery man is unloading!

harrigran Tue 24-Dec-19 09:27:41

I did some last minute food shopping yesterday in Morrisons, I had vouchers to use to the value of £35, the total bill came to £36.50, slipped up there.

Bluebird64 Tue 24-Dec-19 07:48:42

Haha my husband told me how, years ago, he stood at a checkout holding a tin of baked beans in one hand and a pack of loo paper in the other...the cashier thought it was hilarious!

drifter Tue 24-Dec-19 04:08:26

im having an idian xmas my parner is tamil hidu from island mauritius and retired chef.im very lucky spicy island xmas food

oldgoat Mon 23-Dec-19 23:47:29

A few years ago a certain make of tampon had boxes bearing vouchers for free hotel stays. My teenage daughter was with me in the supermarket and was mortified when I loaded the trolley with a year's supply.
'For goodness sake, Mother' she cried as she hid my stash under the rest of the shopping.

mothertrucker52 Mon 23-Dec-19 23:16:20

My dear departed mum would often ask me to get some shopping which was normally a quarter of ham, 6 tomatoes, a small brown loaf, two litres of sherry, two litres of gin and six bottles of tonic (now we all know where I get it from ??)

GagaJo Mon 23-Dec-19 20:29:15

Hahaha. In the case of raisins, instead of sweets.

Witzend Mon 23-Dec-19 20:29:06

I do often have a good old (surreptitious) nose.

No chance this morning - we were at M&S when they opened at the crack of dawn to grab a turkey and a few bits - and were the first at the checkout! Nobody even behind us! Home again by 7.45 - is that a record?

A far cry from a few years ago, when also on the 23rd I was in a long queue behind a woman whose trolley was packed with absolutely everything ready made for Christmas dinner - turkey stuffed and dressed with streaky bacon, in a foil tin ready to go, ready done spuds, veg, gravy, stuffing, custard - everything you could think of.
Of course I had a good old nose at her absolutely eye-watering bill, too!

SueDonim Mon 23-Dec-19 20:25:49

Raisins and sweet corn, GagaJo. What is the point of feeding either of those to small children? tchgrin

Phoebes Mon 23-Dec-19 19:52:17

Sainsbury’s has done away with its quick checkout tills, so even if you only have one or two items you have to queue for ages. They want you to use the gadgets that you total up as you go. We tried it once because they tempted us with £5 off and when we got to the final checkout it wasn’t working properly so someone had to come and sort it out and it all took twice as long! I like a bit of personal contact and maybe a little chat at the till if it isn’t too busy.
Sainsbury’s have also done away with the customer service desk, so, if you have a problem, you have to queue with the people buying lottery tickets and cigarettes and that takes twice as long, too. Sainsbury’s is very close to where we live and has everything, so we wouldn’t switch supermarkets, but it is VERY annoying!