Gransnet forums

AIBU

Outdoor shoes inside

(379 Posts)
Pudding123 Thu 26-Dec-19 13:37:27

AIBU My sister and BiL live 80 miles away but come to me about 3 times a year ,they dislike my husband with good reason and as I don't drive the train journey is now not an option for me ( last time I did it it took 6 hours including 2 buses and changing trains)They see 3 different relatives in the one day.Anyway when they come they are both 70 but as for as fiddles and I am always glad to see them but they refuse to take their shoes off and I have cream carpets.They say" we are not taking our shoes off we will sit in the kitchen" but my kitchen is colder than the rest of the house and we can't all sit round the table.I said " no come in the lounge it's more comfortable/festive" to which there was a lot of h huffing and puffing my sister took her ankle boots off but my B i l point blank refused .What do you think?I asked them what they did when they had just visited Bils very houseproud daughter they said we say in the kitchen...

Bagatelle Tue 07-Jan-20 15:36:18

MamaCaz the carpet was always dark and patterned but might have changed a bit over the years. A carpet like this is good for one's immune system.

MamaCaz Sun 05-Jan-20 17:19:22

That works both ways though, grannymy.
It applies just as much to people complaining about being expected to take shoes off inside someone else's home. smile

grannymy Sun 05-Jan-20 17:10:36

It's all just too much at times. If all we have to worry about it someone wearing shoes inside a home then we are very fortunate indeed.

Callistemon Sun 05-Jan-20 17:06:29

Clever dog!

Jane10 Sun 05-Jan-20 16:51:51

Aww. Collies are the cleverest dogs!

MamaCaz Sun 05-Jan-20 16:50:24

On a lighter note:

Although my mother kept (and still keeps) her house spotless, she has never expected anyone to remove clean shoes in the house.

However, when I was in my teens we got a dog, a predominantly white collie cross,
and once or twice, when she was particularly dirty after winter walks in the muddy woods, we did rinse her feet in a bucket of water before going into the house.

One day, after another walk, she must have decided that her feet were dirty enough to need a wash, even though we hadn't rinsed them, because as soon as we walked into the kitchen, she went over to her water bowl and rinsed both front feet in it, one after the other!

Anyone else owned a house-proud dog? grin

Callistemon Sun 05-Jan-20 15:38:20

grin
You don't know them!!
And didn't hear what she said when I washed her dog's paws.
Anyway, they do have all hard floors.

Yehbutnobut Sun 05-Jan-20 15:36:28

How very adult!

Callistemon Sun 05-Jan-20 15:32:49

I did catch hold of a visiting dog once which had been rushing through the vegetable garden, then washed her paws before I let her out of the utility room.
The owner made a sarcastic remark so I resolved to keep my shoes on next time I visited them.

MissAdventure Sun 05-Jan-20 15:21:07

I do.
I very strongly believe that the joy of having your own home is running it how you see fit.
Shoes off, shoes on, carrier bags on feet. Its all good.

Yehbutnobut Sun 05-Jan-20 14:57:06

I agree. If you are happy to accept outdoor shoes into your house that’s fine, but please respect the views of those who are not.

MissAdventure Sun 05-Jan-20 14:49:44

It doesn't really matter what words people use about someone else's home.
As long as its comfy and warm for the people who live there, and they enjoy their space.

Yehbutnobut Sun 05-Jan-20 14:42:42

Would just plain ‘dirty’ be more acceptable?

Yehbutnobut Sun 05-Jan-20 14:41:49

Not a nice word is it ‘filthy’?

MissAdventure Sun 05-Jan-20 14:36:40

To me, floors are just things to walk on.
I keep them clean (ish) but that's as much as I want to do.

Jane10 Sun 05-Jan-20 14:26:28

'Filthy' is a ridiculous exaggeration ?

Yehbutnobut Sun 05-Jan-20 14:19:53

It’s not about being ‘house proud’ (a very middle class emotive notion) it’s about not being filthy, as ManaCaz pointed out .

MamaCaz Sun 05-Jan-20 13:20:42

I remember one aunt who was very houseproud, cleaned the house regularly and thoroughly, and thought her carpets were lovely and clean - they certainly looked it.
She got quite a shock when looking after someone's toddler one day, as the child's white socks turned dark grey over the course of the day just from walking on those carpets!

MamaCaz Sun 05-Jan-20 13:12:37

Was the carpet dark and patterned originally, Bagatelle, or is that as a result of those generations of dogs, cats and children? grin

Jane10 Sun 05-Jan-20 12:28:04

Sounds lovely!

Bagatelle Sun 05-Jan-20 11:36:53

Anyone who comes here needs to keep their shoes on. There is only one carpet downstairs and it's dark and patterned. Generations of dogs, cats and children have lived on it. It has been cleaned a few times, mainly to remove grit that vacuuming doesn't reach, but I'm sure it has accumulated lots of stains over the years.

Jane10 Sun 05-Jan-20 11:22:41

Dogs must be a problem for 'no shoes' households unless they wear wellies and can leave them at the door. I imagine that plastic shoe covers or plastic bags might be hard to fit to paws...

Callistemon Sun 05-Jan-20 10:29:01

Having had a cat deposit in my slipper (!!!) I assume those who think a bit of easily vacuumed dirt on their floor s dreadful have never owned an animal.
It wasn't my cat btw.

Jane10 Sun 05-Jan-20 10:23:26

The man I used obviously loved his work and was very keen to share his knowledge of stain removal. So many types of stain with very specific and different ways of removal. His enthusiasm was interesting but at one point I thought he'd never leave! However, it's nice to know someone who was so keen and devoted to his job!

Callistemon Sun 05-Jan-20 10:10:01

It's not orange, it's just a darker stain.

Perhaps I will try scrubbing with bio washing liquid first.

The Dyson dry shampoo smelt awful, I can still get a whiff of it.