Gransnet forums

AIBU

To Believe the British Girl in Cyprus Version of Events

(223 Posts)
TerriBull Wed 01-Jan-20 08:44:05

and to think what has happened to her subsequently is appalling.

To believe that she was actually gang raped, does a young woman seriously go from having consensual sex with one person to allowing that man's dozen or so mates to join in.

Furthermore the Cypriot Police did not take evidence from the room, did not seal it off as a crime scene, she was interviewed late at night without legal representation or a family member, which lead to her retracting the allegations under intense duress.

Now she has been found guilty by a Cypriot court and may well face a prison sentence.

I think the whole matter is appalling I just hope she can come home and piece her life together with counselling and understanding after her awful ordeal.

TerriBull Tue 07-Jan-20 14:08:48

Meant to say so relieved she is coming home.

TerriBull Tue 07-Jan-20 14:06:43

So relieved for this young woman who has been through so much and unfortunately still has this gulty verdict hanging
over her, which could affect her professional future. I could quite understand her attitude may well be that she has simply had enough and not want to appeal given her experiences of courts etc.

I do hope she realises her ambition and goes off to university in September, albeit a year late. Most of all I hope in time she can get over the trauma of what she has been through and it doesn't blight the rest of her life.

suziewoozie Tue 07-Jan-20 13:52:27

She’s in an impossible position isn’t she Iam. I take your point about an appeal failing ( although would it at the EHCR under Article 6?) But down the line if she doesn’t appeal and professional doors are slammed in her face, she could well one say bitterly regret that decision. The conviction basically labels her a liar which is much more serious in terms of her future than for example she had been found guilty of being drunk and disorderly.

Iam64 Tue 07-Jan-20 13:23:14

I understand those who say this young woman should appeal against her conviction. If she was my daughter I'd be guided by her but I would worry that an appeal may fail to overturn her conviction and compound the suffering she's already experienced.
Sexism, misogyny, all alive and operating in so many places.

purplepatch Tue 07-Jan-20 13:05:14

If I was wrongly accused I don't think the anger would ever leave me and we know the damage that can be caused by repressing anger. I would go through hell to get justice.

Of course, not everyone is the same and the girl's mental attitude may be quite different, but I fear for her future if she is left with that injustice simmering inside her.

suziewoozie Tue 07-Jan-20 13:01:08

No appeal process can be easy, can it? I hope the Supreme Court in Cyprus agree to expedite her case. They could then allow her appeal and set the conviction aside and end it all there. That should make good sense to them as if it has to go to ECHR it will only prolong the bad publicity for the island.

cornergran Tue 07-Jan-20 12:53:32

I’m delighted she will be home soon and yes, if her name can be cleared through appeal even better. The process concerns me though.

suziewoozie Tue 07-Jan-20 12:35:56

maddy is absolutely right-it’s necessary to appeal and it sounds as though this will happen. A criminal conviction is an incredibly serious thing to have and will close many careers to her or at least, involve her having to relive it all each time she has to disclose to prospective employers. Also every time the case ( or her name) is googled, all the details will come up. Additionally, it might make Cyprus and other countries with similar attitudes towards young women in such circumstances, think twice.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 07-Jan-20 12:17:49

I'm so glad that this poor girl is coming home. Apparently, if what I've read is true, opinion is turning against these young men in their home country.
The whole situation is a disgrace.

lavenderzen Tue 07-Jan-20 12:13:44

What is needed is help and love from her family and professional/medical help to assist her with this trauma.

lavenderzen Tue 07-Jan-20 12:11:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

maddyone Tue 07-Jan-20 10:52:48

I’m pleased she’s appealing, she’s young and she has a criminal conviction. She needs to clear her name so this won’t affect her career prospects in the future. Also, by clearing her name she will in effect, convict the men.
Anyway, at least she’s coming home to Britain where she is believed. I hope she is able to recover from this terrible time, to clear her name, and to begin her university course, maybe next year.

gmarie Tue 07-Jan-20 10:28:45

Signed the petition

GrannyGravy13 Tue 07-Jan-20 10:16:40

Saw an interview with her lawyer they have 10 days to lodge an appeal and they intend doing so.

Callistemon Tue 07-Jan-20 10:11:45

That is probably the easiest option possibly sensible but she will not clear her name unless she does appeal.

There is no chance of these men facing true justice unless she appealed and won.

lavenderzen Tue 07-Jan-20 10:08:25

I was very pleased to hear this on the news. If I was her mother I would certainly advise against launching an appeal. It would mean going through the whole ordeal again. I would want her home with me and receiving medical care.

merlotgran Tue 07-Jan-20 10:05:15

I'm pleased for her but it doesn't prove her innocence. No doubt there will be an appeal against the sentence.

DanniRae Tue 07-Jan-20 09:49:09

I have seen on the news that she has been given a suspended sentence and is coming home
I am very pleased for her.

maddyone Mon 06-Jan-20 18:04:53

And how their families could take champagne to the airport and celebrate publicly is beyond me. If my son had been involved, I would have been ashamed.

Lilyflower Mon 06-Jan-20 16:36:55

That anyone would think a young girl would agree to sex with 12 men is risible.

The behaviour of the young men when they arrived honme was beyond disgusting too.

pinkquartz Mon 06-Jan-20 16:33:16

Davidhs

that is so sad to think that people only ever get worse.
I truly do not believe this but it is your family members so I will butt out.
I do understand what you are saying but I like to hope people will change......

Drum1234 Sun 05-Jan-20 22:46:03

I read a report earlier today, not sure where, which said the men are intending to sue the young woman as they deserve compensation for what they have been through. How can they be so f***ing arrogant?

Davidhs Sun 05-Jan-20 21:57:19

Pink. People mostly never change for the better, male or female once they get into a mindset personality, it either stays with them or deteriorates. Relationships often break down and this hardens attitudes, an ex partner may find another match and as long as neither changes all will be well.

love0c Sun 05-Jan-20 18:18:45

I have signed the petition as I totally believe her. I read this morning that some 'huge deal' had been done between Cyprus, Israel and Greece. They signed EastMed gas pipeline deal on Thursday. Read into this what you like. My opinion is they found the Israel men not guilty because they did not want to lose this deal. Our government should get this girl home now!

TerriBull Sun 05-Jan-20 15:39:13

is are somehow sacrasanct sacrosanct