Gransnet forums

AIBU

To Believe the British Girl in Cyprus Version of Events

(222 Posts)
TerriBull Wed 01-Jan-20 08:44:05

and to think what has happened to her subsequently is appalling.

To believe that she was actually gang raped, does a young woman seriously go from having consensual sex with one person to allowing that man's dozen or so mates to join in.

Furthermore the Cypriot Police did not take evidence from the room, did not seal it off as a crime scene, she was interviewed late at night without legal representation or a family member, which lead to her retracting the allegations under intense duress.

Now she has been found guilty by a Cypriot court and may well face a prison sentence.

I think the whole matter is appalling I just hope she can come home and piece her life together with counselling and understanding after her awful ordeal.

sodapop Wed 01-Jan-20 08:48:14

Another instance of the full facts not being known to us. It does seem that mistakes have been made in the investigation of this case though. I think we should not make any judgements until further facts are known.

Yehbutnobut Wed 01-Jan-20 08:52:35

We do know that she was questioned for almost 8 hours without access to a solicitor or an interpreter and it was after that she retracted her accusation.

M0nica Wed 01-Jan-20 08:58:50

Also an expert witness has examined her retraction and said the way the statement is composed; vocabulary, grammar shows quite clearly that the document was drafted by someone for whom English was not their mother tonge.

In other words she was presented with a ready prepared statement and kept in the police station, without legal representation, and intimidated until she signed it.

TerriBull Wed 01-Jan-20 09:06:28

I just felt so upset for her and her mother reading about her ordeal, I wanted to know what others thought, hence the post.

Grammaretto Wed 01-Jan-20 09:11:01

On the face of it, this case sounds like medieval injustice happened. Why would anyone invent a story like that?

I believe the girl and will probably contribute to her family's crowdfunding to bring her home.

There is ignorance among young people though. An instance was my hairdresser who was booked to go to the Middle East for a cheap holiday in the sun but knew nothing of the laws or customs let alone that there were wars being fought all around!

She went and she was fine so ignorance can be bliss.

GagaJo Wed 01-Jan-20 09:45:00

Her 'confession' was in poor English with 2nd language speaker mistakes.

I think she was raped and it's been covered up because the Cypriots are creating links with Israel and therefore have sacrificed her to their political future.

annodomini Wed 01-Jan-20 10:11:07

It's very strange that no mention has been made of medical evidence. I think the men (allegedly) responsible left Cyprus quickly so probably didn't give semen samples but the girl herself must have been in poor shape after such an ordeal.

sunseeker Wed 01-Jan-20 10:14:12

I don't think the cover up had anything to do with the "Cypriots creating links with Israel", I think it was more about Cyprus being concerned about it's tourist industry

EllanVannin Wed 01-Jan-20 10:16:04

I'm not sure enough about this to pass judgement one way or the other.

GagaJo Wed 01-Jan-20 10:25:08

They were allowed to leave.

“This is certainly not the first case of rape in Cyprus and certainly not the first time that a rape complaint is ignored, but it also takes place at a very significant time when Cyprus is trying to reinvent its relationship with Israel both economically and as a partner in defence.”

As the race to tap gas deposits in the eastern Mediterranean has intensified in recent years, the partitioned island’s internationally recognised Greek Cypriot government has worked hard to forge ever better ties with Israel.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/dec/30/briton-found-guilty-over-ayia-napa-false-claim-cyprus

Callistemon Wed 01-Jan-20 10:27:47

I think there was forensic evidence but that the men claimed the sex had been consensual and were allowed to leave the country.

YANBU in believing that events happened as she claims, Terribull and her subsequent treatment by the authorities has been appalling.

Cyprus may want to further links with Israel but that part of Cyprus is a member of the EU, had strong links with the UK and is a prime holiday destination, albeit for more non-EU visitors now.

I am surprised the authorities are allowed to get away with this, even on a pragmatic level Cyprus's reputation as a tourist destination may well suffer.

TerriBull Wed 01-Jan-20 10:33:34

I've heard that the Israelies patrol the waters around Cyprus, I imagine that is to their mutual benefit. I would have thought their historical links with the UK and the fact that Cyprus is a favoured holiday destination for Britons would trounce any prospective relationship they are forging with Israel. However, will read the Guardian link.

Callistemon Wed 01-Jan-20 10:38:47

I think that Cyprus has also benefited from Russian money as a lot of Russians ex-pats now live there and they rank second to the British in the number of tourists to the island, Israelis third.

TerriBull Wed 01-Jan-20 10:47:12

Callistemon, the men claiming the sex was consensual in the words of Mandy Rice Davis "they would wouldn't they" and then they were allowed to leave the country shock

Callistemon Wed 01-Jan-20 10:50:40

It is unbelievable that they could be allowed to leave and she was taken to the police station for eight hours without representation and forced into signing a trumped up statement and now faces prison.
Unbelievable that this could happen, we think of EU countries as being more civilised.

lavenderzen Wed 01-Jan-20 10:55:11

The whole thing is a very worrying. To me it seems like another cover up. I feel very sorry for the girl and her mother.

Davidhs Wed 01-Jan-20 11:01:03

“Why would anyone make false allegations”

I found this

Her lawyers said the video found on some of the Israelis' mobile phones showed her having consensual sex with one of the group while others try to enter the room as she tells them to leave.

She felt humiliated the mood changed she flipped and started shouting rape. If the boys where filming, they would be filming each other as well, but nothing.
The police didn’t believe her from the start and there was no solid evidence or injury.

The current trial is about exonerating the Israelis, they have found her guilty of false accusation, she has already served a month in prison, it seems to me she has suffered enough.

Jane10 Wed 01-Jan-20 11:03:50

I agree with you all. This stinks. Poor girl. Can't believe those Israelis were let off. Deeply suspicious. I definitely won't be going to Cyprus.

Callistemon Wed 01-Jan-20 11:05:05

Where was that reported Davidhs please?

trisher Wed 01-Jan-20 11:11:15

It is appalling to think that a girl could still be subjected to such treatment by the police in an EU country. Regardless of what happened she was not treated the way that women alleging attacks should be. The men were allowed to leave the country without difficulty. It seems extraordinary that we still have women being blamed and not believed. I do hope this girl is being well supported and cared for.

Davidhs Wed 01-Jan-20 11:53:00

Daily Mirror some time ago, it sounded exactly what a group of drunken lads would do for a prank.

Yehbutnobut Wed 01-Jan-20 12:14:03

How odd david that’s not what I read. In my paper her solicitor said she was having consensual sex with one man when his mates arrived, and it turned into a gang rape.

Yehbutnobut Wed 01-Jan-20 12:15:06

A prank? Words fail me that is ?????.

grannydarkhair Wed 01-Jan-20 12:16:53

There's a thread on Mumsnet about this case. Gives links to newspaper articles, etc. Imo, the way this young lass has been treated is appalling, and is a prime example of why so many women don't report rape. Her family must be desperate to get her home.