Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to think washing up is not the job of a cleaner?

(116 Posts)
bulldogPaige Fri 03-Jan-20 15:24:55

Please can you help me settle an argument with DH.

Last night I was feeling ill so went to bed early, without doing the washing up, leaving quite a lot of dishes in the sink.

I got up early in the morning to see that DH hadn't sorted out the washing (surprise, surprise) and the sink was still full.

I started do the washing but DH told me to stop! He said that he'd left it deliberately because our cleaner was coming in that morning, and she could sort it out.

I was furious! I said that's not the cleaner's job, she's here to clean not tidy ect, and every minute she spends washing up is time wasted that she could spend cleaning other parts of the house.

Well DH said that we pay her a fee by the hour, not by the task, and if we ask her to do something which helps us keep our house clean, surely that's exactly her job?

So.... What I'm asking is, what do people think? Do you agree with me that washing up should be done by the people who live in the house, or do you think that DH was right, and all cleaning is part of the job description???

DoraMarr Fri 03-Jan-20 17:25:46

I had a cleaner after I had an operation for a few months. Before she took the job I explained what I wanted her to do and asked if she was happy to do it. Her tasks included changing the bed, dusting, vacuuming, cleaning one of the bathrooms, and washing the floors ( I have mostly wood or tile floors.) I paid her by the hour, for two hours, and she would just find jobs to do to fill up the time, including unloading the dishwasher and cleaning windows. She always emptied the rubbish bin and took the bags to the bin store on her way out. She was lovely, very kind, and I wish I could have afforded to have her forever! So no, I don’t think it is unreasonable to ask your cleaner to do the washing up, but it should have been agreed upon at the start.

grannyrebel7 Fri 03-Jan-20 17:45:38

I think your DH is right - you're paying her so she should do whatever task needs doing. I agree this would cut down on her time for bigger jobs though. Best solution would be to get a dishwasher.

SirChenjin Fri 03-Jan-20 17:48:53

but it should have been agreed upon at the start

I think this is key. It’s interesting that some cleaners would do dishes whereas our contract stipulates no dishes, and this means everyone is clear about what the cleaners will and won’t do.

BlueBelle Fri 03-Jan-20 18:02:40

I ve never had a cleaner or a dishwasher but I have been a cleaner when I was on my own and the kids were at school and I would do whatever was needed, some people needed the washing up done, some had it all done before I got there
I wouldn’t feel worried I m sure your cleaning lady won’t be upset by it
Cleaning is cleaning after all

Nightsky2 Fri 03-Jan-20 18:05:53

I have 4 lovely Polish girls who come every 2 weeks for one hour to hoover and dust. I clean my own kitchen but they are happy to do anything and always me if there’s anything pacific that I would like them to do. This morning when they arrived I asked them if they wouldn’t mind making up the bed in the guest room and they were happy to oblige. What I don’t understand is why you’re husband didn’t do the washing up himself. Personally I can think of other jobs that I would prefer the cleaner to be getting on with. I don’t think a cleaner would have a problem with washing dishes but it might mean that you could be left with having to clean the bathroom. I know which one I’d prefer.

Septimia Fri 03-Jan-20 18:14:37

I wouldn't automatically expect the cleaner (not that I've ever had one) to do the washing up. As others have said, it depends on the original agreement.

I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask a cleaner if they would be willing to wash up, as a one-off, if you were unwell and unable to do it. You'd have to accept it if they refused.

In this case, if I was the cleaner, I would have to wonder what prevented the OP's DH from doing it.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 03-Jan-20 18:15:26

I am a cleaner an have been for many years, it really depends on what was discussed at the start, I have never been asked to do washing up, my job was to just clean windows floors surfaces etc

Sara65 Fri 03-Jan-20 20:22:13

It’s almost impossible to get a cleaner around here, after mine moved away I tried every local agency, and even rang an advert on a telegraph pole, no luck.

So, I considered myself so lucky to have had a good thorough conscientious cleaner, that I practically let her set her own agenda. She was wonderful, I miss her .

Yehbutnobut Fri 03-Jan-20 21:21:23

She who pays the piper calls the tune. It’s up to you surely

BradfordLass72 Fri 03-Jan-20 21:33:24

If it's been agreed that you clean the pots for your employer - than that's part of cleaning.

When I was a cleaner, for various people over many years, each house was different.
I often used to get a list and just work from it.

Now, I have "a support worker" not a cleaner which may sound pedantic but there really is a difference.

A support worker is not a servant, nor treated like one.

I don't "expect" her to do anything. We work out together, what needs doing (mainly things I cannot do myself) and we have a most friendly and open relationship.

My current girl, Sia was very nervous and timid when she first came to me, didn't speak much and lived in fear (so she tells me) of doing something wrong.

Yesterday, her sixth week with me, she breezed in, gave me a hug, saw a bowl of chocolates on the table (a gift from another friend) and picked one up, 'Is it all right if I have this? I love Cadbuty's Roses!'

It was, of course, that's why they were sitting there but it heartened me that she's obviously settling in. grin

Grammaretto Fri 03-Jan-20 23:19:26

I quite enjoy washing up if there is plenty of hot water and someone to chat to. However my worst thing ever is to find a sink full of greasy dishes and pots and pans steeped in ice cold water. No I wouldn't be your cleaner if you paid me a fortune!
I have a dishwasher which I like to believe is more economical on water heating and therefore pays for itself.
As for the argument: You know the answer. You are correct because if you left dishes in the sink waiting to be washed every time, you would lose your trusty cleaner PDQ.

jenni123 Sat 04-Jan-20 10:46:12

My cleaner is only here for 2 hours every other week, she has 'set' jobs she does, like changing the sheets on my bed as I am unable to do this, but if I want her to do other stuff I just ask her, i don't often leave washing up but I have been quite ill again and 2 weeks ago there were breakfast plate and cup etc and she just washed them while cleaning the kitchen

chattykathy Sat 04-Jan-20 10:50:11

Sounds to me that DH is trying to justify not doing the dishes... Perhaps get him to clean the loo instead because the cleaner won't have time...

Jue1 Sat 04-Jan-20 11:02:25

I think your hubby managed successfully to move the conversation from him doing the washing up to the cleaner doing it.
The point is whether the cleaner was coming or not, would he have done them.
Somehow I doubt it.

MollyG Sat 04-Jan-20 11:36:17

Nope not her job at all

Kartush Sat 04-Jan-20 11:36:42

I had a friend who used to do cleaning and the jobs she did depended on the arrangements she had with each person she cleaned for. Everything was sorted before she took on a job. Some people required washing up, some didn’t but she only ever did what task has already been pre arranged. So in her case if washing dishes was not part of her arrangement then even if there was a sink full she would not do them.

spabbygirl Sat 04-Jan-20 11:46:38

I don't see anything wrong in asking her to wash up, I was asked sometimes when I was a cleaner

Kimrus Sat 04-Jan-20 11:54:44

My cleaner is in 5 days a week. I would never ask her to wash my dishes, but she will if she finds something. I will turn on my dishwasher every morning, but at times I get too busy to empty, she will do it. I often sweep the floors and leave dirt in little piles. She is here for 3 hrs each time, I live on farm and rescue livestock, so my inside jobs get pushed aside as animals come first. I do have 4 dogs and 2 cats. My floors need cleaning daily with what my beagles come in looking like mud at times. I would never ask her to clean windows, always dirty with livestock coming up checking to see where I am. Yes I tidy before she arrives and beds are made when we get out of them. She will put clothes from machine to dryer. I think my cleaner would do anything but I don’t expect her to wash dirty dishes, your hubby should have done it and I would give him hell for not doing them himself. My poor hubby does cop it from me, even if he walks inside with his shoes on and spills stuff on floor, I expect him to clean up after himself on weekends and he moans about it, but I harp on him constantly

jaylucy Sat 04-Jan-20 11:54:51

Having been a cleaner myself, I was never expected to wash up - but that never stopped me from doing it, on the few occasions,if I needed a clear space to clean the sink, to be able to mop the floors etc. It just meant that I had less time to do other jobs around the house.
My SiL also used to clean houses and one house was such a tip each time she went (once a week) that she felt like an underpaid skivvy - apparently, the toilets had to be seen to be believed ! She was convinced that nothing was done out side of her visits by the two supposedly professional residents! Would they up her hours? Would they heck! She stayed there for 6 months before she decided that enough was enough .
It basically depends on the agreement that you have with your cleaner. If you have agreed that she vacuums, dusts, cleans the bathroom and mops the kitchen floor, that is what she will do, but as you have been unwell, I would guess that she would wash up for you, but you should at least pay her for the extra time it will take!
I think you were expecting too much for your husband to do anything while you were unwell - why should he, when he has you and the "hired help" to usually do it all for him???

jenpax Sat 04-Jan-20 11:59:15

I used to have a cleaner when the children were at home and I didn’t ask her to do washing up or (in my case) load the dishwasher. It wasn’t that I thought she wouldn’t do these jobs if I had asked her to, but rather that I felt her time was better used to do the tasks I didn’t get done, such as cleaning the oven as well as a general clean through of the house. She also used to doing my ironing for me (hated task!) and we were both happy with the arrangement; she stayed with me for 6 years and the next cleaner a further 3 years.
I am considering having a cleaner again when I move, although I now live alone, as my eldest DD has a lovely reliable lady and it’s nice to come home to a sparkling house!

ReadyMeals Sat 04-Jan-20 12:07:18

It depends entirely on what you have agreed with the cleaner. Some people want their cleaners just to do the heavier tasks like vacuuming others want them to potter around washing up and tidying. A cleaner is usually perfectly happy to have dishes as part of their task list.

EllieB52 Sat 04-Jan-20 12:11:38

I had my first ever cleaners just before Christmas. I would not expect them to do washing up. Imagine how much there would be after a fortnight, lol. I have an agreement with my DH in that if I am doing the cooking every evening then I expect him to deal with the washing up. He loads the dishwasher (sometimes not until next morning which grates but I try to ignore it as he gets up much earlier than me). Mind you, I often have to say that the pan fairies have missed us again. That’s who he thinks handwashes the non stick pans! Recently I left a pan in the sink for three days to make a point. Hated it but it had to be done!! He did wash it but not without a terse prompt.

Dinahmo Sat 04-Jan-20 12:16:46

Buy a Dishwasher. My OH is usually the person that loads it. (95%of the time) He also washes the glasses and cutlery and any pans to large to go in the dishwasher. He'll even load the d/w before going to bed if we've had friends to supper and it's v. late. If it was down to me I'd be leaving it until the morning, but we have a cheaper rate of electricity in the early hours.

GrannySomerset Sat 04-Jan-20 12:17:35

We have had our lovely help (far more than a cleaner) for twenty-three years and have never left a sink full of washing up for her. As others have said, much better things for her to be doing, and anyway I hate the sight of dirty crockery. Treat the treasure who supports you in the way you would like to be treated!

Bbbface Sat 04-Jan-20 12:31:21

* I was furious*

Get. Some. Perspective.