Gransnet forums

AIBU

Am I being unreasonable to remain silent ?

(36 Posts)
Gemini1789 Wed 22-Jan-20 23:16:09

that it’s not a good idea to answer the thread which asks where in the world we live ?
Am I ultra cautious ?
I wonder if divulging personal details might give information to hackers/burglars/ ?
I suppose saying which country might be ok but more than that ? I’d like to hear your views.

GrandmaMoira Thu 23-Jan-20 12:59:30

Maybe I'm naive but I can't see how it's an issue to say which part of the country/major city we live in - I live in the south east of England and there are millions of others who do.
Facebook sometimes has threads where people are asked for their Birthdays/birth dates, middle names, maiden names etc. which obviously gives information to fraudsters.

Esspee Thu 23-Jan-20 12:59:37

@notanan2
I would be very grateful if you could explain land registry fraud.

notanan2 Thu 23-Jan-20 16:19:30

Notanan - I don't know how land registry fraud works but wouldn't Rightmove and Zoopla give more information for fraudsters than anything on the house buying/selling threads here?

No. It doesnt give information about the type of owner. Land registry/titpe fraudsters need to target mortgage free properties mainly. Having a mortgage somewhat protects you. It doesnt give info about which properties are vacant and when etc and the fraudsters usually need to intercept your post so the info people post on the buy/sell thread often gives that as people chat about setting up redirections etc.

Title fraud is very lucritive so worth the effort for them. It does require targetting a certain type of person though (mortgage free, interceptable post) so rightmove is not where they will look. Also a property currently being marketed for sale is no good to them as it will be having land registry searches. They need one that has already exchanged.

M0nica Thu 23-Jan-20 16:25:48

It is wise to be aware of the risks, but let us ask what the probabilities are. Yes, it has happened a couple of times, but over how many years, over how many members and casual visitors, but overall, unless you post your name address and telephone number, you are pretty safe on GN.

notanan2 Thu 23-Jan-20 16:26:51

Espee it is assuming the idebtity of the owner in order to transfer the deeds. Usually selling to a 3rd party.

As it is a civil matter it is extremely expensive and lengthy to reclaim ownership. The new owner has sometimes also been defrauded and as such, having paid for the property and being registered on the land registry, may understandable be reluctant to simply pass back posession having paid for it.

Sometimes the new "owner" never gets occupier posession and sometimes they do, in which case you are homeless.

It is a lot harder to do on a leasehold or mortgaged property so demographis who may be mortgage free are targeted.

notanan2 Thu 23-Jan-20 16:28:29

Maybe I'm naive but I can't see how it's an issue to say which part of the country/major city we live in - I live in the south east of England and there are millions of others who do.

Thats fine if its your only post.
People need to be aware of how much accumulated info they put on, and how easily the dots can be joined up.

Gemini1789 Thu 23-Jan-20 16:34:51

I’m naive too when it comes to hacking.
I used to think that I had nothing to hide so I didn’t mind but it’s not about that is it ?

notanan2 Thu 23-Jan-20 16:39:17

Granny from the land registry helped lawyer and banker steal empty homes from the elderly www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2109539/Granny-land-registry-helped-steal-homes-elderly.html?ito=native_share_article-top

Norah Thu 23-Jan-20 16:39:17

No, you are not unreasonable.

notanan2 Thu 23-Jan-20 16:41:01

www.parkinsonproperty.co.uk/news_more.asp?news_id=48¤t_id=1