Gransnet forums

AIBU

for Expats in the EU who voted remain, to be relly upset and angry at neighbours and 'friends' who have voted to leave?

(294 Posts)
jura2 Sun 26-Jan-20 15:02:46

British expats (immigrants) in the EU are all going to be massively affected by Brexit- in 100s of ways- healthcare, driving licences, pensions, exchange rate loss, etc, etc. - whether they voted Remain or Leave. It is really going to affect their relationship with those who voted for those changes that will impact daily lives in such a significant way- especially in those ommunities where there are large numbers living in close proximity.

mike28939 Sun 09-Feb-20 23:36:58

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Mamie Thu 06-Feb-20 10:00:45

There are different rules for different countries, my DS would have to give up British nationality if he takes Spanish nationality.

Welshwife Thu 06-Feb-20 09:34:40

There must be different rules for different countries - DS and his family all have dual nationality - UK and USA.

hondagirl Thu 06-Feb-20 08:58:56

The Dutch currently only allow British nationals dual nationality in a few, specific circumstances, such as being married to a Dutch national for a number of years. Dutch nationals who take another nationality, such as British, also lose their Dutch passports.

JackyB Thu 06-Feb-20 08:37:44

Dragonfly - you only have to give up your second nationality if the other country is not in the EU. Which Britain has been for the past nearly 50 years. Here in Germany, where the same rule applies, Brits have been obtaining German nationality in their droves to get it done before Britain left the EU.

I was one of them.

dragonfly46 Thu 06-Feb-20 07:44:48

I have many British friends living in the Netherlands and they have dual nationality. They have not had to give up their British citizenship on becoming Dutch.
The tax perks by the way are only for the first 5 years. The tax rate in Holland is 60 %. When we lived there we paid nearly 80% with National Insurance so the tax break is not that great. You also have to pay for healthcare.

Mamie Thu 06-Feb-20 07:24:21

An update on the EHIC for anyone on an S1 form in France.
The following is on the Remain in France Facebook page this morning. They have been speaking to the Paris Embassy.
" 1. Any S1 healthcare holder (now or in the future) who is protected by the Withdrawal Agreement will be able to continue (or start) to use their UK issued EHIC - E card, both in the rest of the EU, and in the UK, after the end of the Transition Period.
2) Those who moved to France prior to the S1 form inception, and use the old E form, will not have to apply for a S1, as it is issued by the UK and as such will be recognised."

I don't know about other EU / EEA countries, but would hope / expect it to be standard practice.

Alexa Fri 31-Jan-20 20:05:35

What! Labaik, no no no we will get good deals with Trumpland for pharmaceuticals, and divert former payments to Europe to the NHS.

Labaik Fri 31-Jan-20 16:57:06

But we can still hold the leave supporting politicians to account regarding all of their false promises can we not?

Fennel Fri 31-Jan-20 12:47:29

Alexa wrote
"The best thing we remainers can do is refrain from blaming" So true, and childish to say "it's not fair!"
Not that I'm 100% remain, I can see both sides.
We'll have to wait and see now.

Alexa Fri 31-Jan-20 12:39:34

Brexit has divided people in this country into two camps , Jura, so it's reasonable to expect resentment when we in Britain and N Ireland can't get the advantages other Europeans get.

The best thing we remainers can do is refrain from blaming except in the privacy of our own homes. May be not even then! We can remind ourselves of the similar worrying right-wing and nationalistic lurch on the Continent.

Callistemon Fri 31-Jan-20 12:32:21

Petty not pretty

Obviously.
It changed as I posted!!

Callistemon Fri 31-Jan-20 12:31:19

Actually, citizens of The Netherlands living in the UK have been offered the right to apply for dual nationality but The Netherlands has not reciprocated the offer to UK citizens living in their country.

Why? They may lose some of those skilled personnel they attracted with their tax breaks.
It seems to be a pretty move which may backfire on them.

maddyone Fri 31-Jan-20 10:25:06

Your son gets tax breaks for being poached by Holland, nice.
I worked in England and paid my tax in England.

Urmstongran Fri 31-Jan-20 10:05:41

Your son works abroad and gets tax breaks for doing so? No wonder (in the short term at least) it suited your family to vote Remain and I can understand why!

We live in the U.K. and pay our taxes here. We voted Leave because we feel this independence is in the best interests of this country!

hondagirl Fri 31-Jan-20 06:39:50

I have just read through all the posts on this thread and going back to the OPs question have thought about it in more depth. Firstly, I do think that lots of people voted leave not really understanding what it would mean and that it would not get rid of all the immigrants as they expected and not understanding the effects it would have on expats living and working in other countries. So yes, I think it's only natural that expats should be a little disappointed, let's say at their relatives who may have voted differently, that is not to say they don't have the right to should they so wish.
I have a son who lives and works in the Netherlands and so I voted Remain I have to say, not solely for this reason but because I believe the advantages of being in the EU greatly outweigh the disadvantages . One poster has said 'all will be right' for expats. Not exactly. My son may be able to remain in the Netherlands, but has now lost the right to live and work in any other European country, a fact which he sees as a serious limitation to his career progression.
He does not see himself as abandoning the UK, but as helping out the Netherlands, who due to a serious skills shortage actually like to encourage people from other European countries, particularly the UK to come to work there by offering tax breaks. This will now be more difficult as UK citizens will need a visa and this will be tied to their job. It is very sad that many young people in the UK will not be able to so easily broaden their working experience by spending time in Europe.
As for becoming a citizen, it was a catch 22 situation. As long as the UK was in the EU he had the right to live there and so there was no need or indeed the mechanism for him to apply for citizenship. He may be able to do this after Brexit is complete, but this will entail giving up his British citizenship.
As I said, I do not think many of those who voted Leave really understood all the consequences. Not entirely their fault as we were not given detailed information before being asked to vote.

Mamie Thu 30-Jan-20 11:49:45

She did read it and was reassured - then the thread meandered down a different path. ?

Urmstongran Thu 30-Jan-20 10:42:23

X posts Mamie - thank you - let’s hope this reassures Jura if she comes back to read it.

Urmstongran Thu 30-Jan-20 10:40:42

For some reason I can’t ‘grab’ the article to post a link. But here are some key quotes:

“Laura Shields, spokesperson for the lobby group British in Europe, said healthcare and pensions are “actually the two bright spots in the withdrawal agreement. There’s a lot else to worry about, but not those.”

Public uncertainty and concern have not been helped by the fact that some EU states have not updated their Brexit information online to take account of the withdrawal agreement, Shields said.

Under the withdrawal agreement, at the end of the transition period in December 2020, anyone with an existing British S1 reciprocal healthcare form will continue to have their healthcare costs met by the government, as long as they remain legally resident in their host country.

An S1 form will also entitle the holder to a UK European health insurance card for treatment when travelling within the EU. Pensioners living on the continent will also continue to be entitled, under UK law, to free treatment in the UK.

Any British nationals working in their host country and paying into its social security system will continue to be covered for healthcare. The withdrawal agreement also states that British state pensions – and all other benefits paid to non-residents – will be uprated annually during the recipient’s lifetime.“
?

Mamie Thu 30-Jan-20 10:15:24

The link was on page 3 but here it is again if anyone else missed it.
britishineurope.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/BiE-WA-Explanation-Part-1.pdf

Mamie Thu 30-Jan-20 10:10:36

Urmstongran I posted all that back at the beginning of the thread and put a link to the British in Europe site which is more accurate than the newspapers. It is not affected by no deal. From midnight it becomes law, protected by the ECJ and the ECHR.
?

Urmstongran Thu 30-Jan-20 09:09:42

There is a good and reassuring article today in The Guardian regards pensions and reciprocal healthcare. It’s all in the WA. All is REALLY GOOD for U.K. residents living in the EU. Check it out. The only worry comes if we leave with No Deal.

I will try to post a link. It should settle jura’s mind and she can share the good news with those ex pats who are worried.

sodapop Thu 30-Jan-20 08:37:33

Labaik You hit the nail on the head in your post of 20.09 yesterday. I do get annoyed by people saying we chose to 'abandon' the UK and live elsewhere in Europe. When we moved to France movement around Europe was encouraged and nobody could have foreseen what would happen a few years later. I am not complaining about our changed circumstances, I accept the result of a democratic vote ( others disagree I know) . I do think the sniping at those of us who chose to move to other countries is uncalled for.

CoolioC Thu 30-Jan-20 02:56:32

I apologise to those regarding health care and S1 forms, you are right.

If you become resident in one country in the EU, if you travel to other countries, you are entitled to emergency healthcare only and your resident country is billed. I believe this is for non pensioners.

Jura, you will just have to pay the high costs if you are fully resident in Switzerland. I trust you pay your taxes there, have a Swiss driving licence having given your UK one up and declared your UK rental income in Switzerland along with worldwide income?

If not, is why I suggested using your Uk address. Some people have a foot in both camps.

maddyone Wed 29-Jan-20 23:49:22

Maw,

Good posts, all of them.