Gransnet forums

AIBU

Still not met three week old grandson.

(643 Posts)
Happygran1964 Wed 05-Feb-20 14:26:40

My daughter in law gave birth their first baby three weeks ago and despite only living a couple of miles away we still haven’t met him.
My DIL is struggling to breastfeed him as he just won’t latch on but takes a bottle happily, she spends the whole day expressing and I totally understand how exhausting that is but I don’t understand why we can’t just pop round for an hour for a cuddle.
I admit to feeling jealous that her mum and sister are there every day and I’m not proud of it but I do understand that she needs and wants her family around her, I just feel sad that DH and I aren’t getting the chance to bond.

65lady Tue 25-Feb-20 07:42:01

Hi Happygran1964. First of all, congratulations to you on the birth of your grandson.
I do feel, and was in a somewhat similar position to you when our first grandchild was born. I was very excited, normal! but my expectations of meeting my granddaughter were not met. My husband reminded me that it’s an emotional time all round and that our dil and son were probably all over the place and to sit tight. At the time I didn’t take very kindly to his advice ( too many emotions!), however in hindsight and following his advice I was rewarded when I met my granddaughter two weeks after she was born.
I really just think they ‘don’t think’ about it.
Think positively, offer to be on hand if they need shopping or washing done ( boring I know) but try not to be too disheartened. If you sew/knit use the time to make something special. Carry on with your own life, meet up with friends for a coffee or lunch, don’t be sitting around and be waiting for the invite, you will feel better if it comes when you least expect it.
They will appreciate all you will do for them in the future and you will have a relationship with your grandson and be glad you ‘waited it out’.

Yennifer Tue 25-Feb-20 07:27:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Coolgran65 Tue 25-Feb-20 07:22:29

What a beautiful baby. x

Madgran77 Tue 25-Feb-20 07:11:17

smile

Nansnet Tue 25-Feb-20 04:01:29

So pleased for you Happygran1964, I'm sure it was worth the wait!

cornergran Mon 24-Feb-20 09:49:41

So pleased happygran, here’s hoping for a less worrying future for you all.

NfkDumpling Mon 24-Feb-20 09:27:22

Just popped back to see if you’d “made it”. So pleased all is well and you’ve met him properly at last. I hope your DS and DiL are well and coping.

Smileless2012 Mon 24-Feb-20 09:12:47

That's wonderful Happygransmilethank you for letting us know.

Happygran1964 Mon 24-Feb-20 09:09:24

Hi everyone.
I am so happy to report that I have now had a massive cuddle with the wee man and am instantly in love f

Starlady Sat 22-Feb-20 15:47:19

Congratulations! He's so adorable! Glad he's better now and sorry the family went through so much worry. Hope the breastfeeding is going better and things are getting easier for the parents. Also, glad you and DH are going to see him this weekend, and hope you tell us all about it!

crazyH Thu 20-Feb-20 16:18:27

Gorgeous little fellow - glad everything's fine and you have to see him...so pleased for you.

Roses Thu 20-Feb-20 16:11:20

Congratulations Happygran I'm so pleased that all is well now he is a little sweetie x

eazybee Wed 19-Feb-20 17:00:37

Glad that everything is resolved happily.

Summerlove Wed 19-Feb-20 16:02:59

I’m so glad your grandson is doing better.

Nansnet Wed 19-Feb-20 04:34:11

What a worrying time for you all! So glad that it was caught early, and your gorgeous little GS is doing well! Look forward to those extra special cuddles when you see him ... it will all be worth the wait! x

Loulelady Wed 19-Feb-20 01:26:27

Goodness! How terrifying for you all. I also glad there is no long term damage and they caught it in time.
Best wishes.

Maggiemaybe Tue 18-Feb-20 23:54:42

What a gorgeous little man, he looks very alert and content. So glad his health scare is over and that you’ll soon get that lovely cuddle. flowers

Marilla Tue 18-Feb-20 23:52:25

What a beautiful boy!

annep1 Tue 18-Feb-20 22:38:54

I got very emotional looking at your photograph Happygran. What a little darling. I'm glad he's ok and I wish you lots of happiness and joy as you get to know him.

Chewbacca Tue 18-Feb-20 22:30:14

He's a little stunner Happygran! Many Congratulations.

Smileless2012 Tue 18-Feb-20 22:28:26

Oh he's so beautiful Happygran. Thank goodness he's OK the relief for you all must be too great for wordssmile.

Bibbity Tue 18-Feb-20 22:24:39

He is absolutely beautiful.
Must be his excellent genes wink

Hope everyone has recovered and you can begin enjoying your little army!

Hithere Tue 18-Feb-20 22:16:34

Gorgeous!

Happygran1964 Tue 18-Feb-20 22:05:46

Thank you all for your kindness. Bless you all.

GrannyLaine Tue 18-Feb-20 21:49:37

Happygran I'm sorry to hear you've had such a worrying time but what a gorgeous little boy he is. Hope everything settles down soon in your family. flowers