Gransnet forums

AIBU

Any words or phrases that you can't stand?

(330 Posts)
Dinahmo Mon 10-Feb-20 18:05:23

An early phrase that I loathe is "can I get" but a more recent one is the word curate which is used in place of collect, or select etc. Recent examples:

The Guardian" the BBC's failure to curate some news event responsibly"

A description of someone's collection of china pig money boxes (once given away free) as being "carefully curated"

A delicatessen which provides "a perfectly curated picnic"

To my mind the misuse of the word devalues the work of museum and gallery curators.

Damdee Tue 11-Feb-20 15:16:08

I agree with those who dislike the abbreviations on Gransnet - I am fairly new and can't work out what some of them mean.

Grannylaine - I love 'bubs' and my family use it a lot.

As to 'bathroom' when someone from the US first asked to use our bathroom, I took them there and they came out most perplexed because the loo was not in there! I was always told that to say 'toilet' was common, and instructed to say 'loo'.

I see nothing wrong in calling my friends (in their 60s) 'the girls'. It would seem weird to say 'I am going to meet the women'. My husband calls his group of friends 'the lads'.

It always annoys me when shop assistants say 'Do you want a bag at all?' - I either want a bag or not. Adding 'at all' makes me think I could have part of a bag!!!

Nanny100 Tue 11-Feb-20 15:17:11

“ Going Forward” instead of in the future.
Calling dogs “Pups” when they’re not puppies any more.
Starting sentences with “OK” or “So” ??

Lancslass1 Tue 11-Feb-20 15:32:32

Kids instead of children.
Revert back.
Between you and I
Can instead of may.
Almost unique

Summerfly Tue 11-Feb-20 15:35:28

My pet hate is “I could of”
I find it really grating.
“The wife”is another and
“babby” instead of baby!

Cid24 Tue 11-Feb-20 15:40:51

“Outside of ! “
And people who refer to the “floor” when they are outside —it’s the “ground!
Grr!

Doodledog Tue 11-Feb-20 16:19:59

I think that 'lads' has a different connotation, though. It's obviously jokey, unless you are Scottish.

I wouldn't say 'going out with the women' either - I would probably just say 'my friends' for both genders.

AGAA4 Tue 11-Feb-20 16:21:37

I heard a television presenter saying "my bad" after she had made a mistake. Really don't like that expression or "I'm good" When asking how someone is.

fluttERBY123 Tue 11-Feb-20 16:21:40

Making memories - conjures up someone who does something in order to make a memory rather than the starting point being something you do cos you want to and as a bonus remember it. Self conscious. Annoys me no end.

MaggieTulliver Tue 11-Feb-20 16:26:40

Wow factor - as in this house has it/doesn’t have it
From shop staff - Would you like a bag AT ALL - I either want a bag or I don’t
Saying yes 100% when just yes will do

fluttERBY123 Tue 11-Feb-20 16:36:08

Nice thread (though nice can sometimes annoy me). Lurgy from the goon show covers any ailment, you have to be a certain age, I think. What is a fur baby? Using the majority instead of most. The majority of the time??!!

Cfaz49 Tue 11-Feb-20 16:39:10

My first post!

So fun!
Basically, you guys, like, can I get....
Something that’s described as “Pretty unique”.
Gotten... I know it’s old English but just so American these days.

GrandmaTrisha Tue 11-Feb-20 16:42:45

Brew

Cuppa.

Enjoy! - enjoy what???

For me....

libbyann Tue 11-Feb-20 16:49:54

Super and mega are two that make me grit my teeth, as in "Super surprised" or "Mega grateful". What's wrong with the word "Very"?

annodomini Tue 11-Feb-20 17:04:55

Now you mention 'super' and 'mega' , let me add 'epic' has come to be used in similar context.

annodomini Tue 11-Feb-20 17:05:34

which has come to be used.....

Hattiehelga Tue 11-Feb-20 17:20:26

Our Brummie use of the word Bab when speaking to or about someone.
Should of instead of should have
Woke !!
They was instead of they were

Applegran Tue 11-Feb-20 17:27:02

I am sorry that the useful word 'disinterested' has come to mean the same as 'uninterested'. You want a judge, for instance, to be disinterested ( objective - not having a personal angle or connection with the issue or person) but to be interested (paying attention and taking in what is being said) Can we rescue 'disinterested'?

Joelsnan Tue 11-Feb-20 17:29:55

Tool kit
When it does not refer to a bag of spanners, hammers etc.
Eg:
‘ we have a tool kit to help with your emotional issues’...Grrrr!

Road maps
When not used to get physically from one place to another
Eg:
‘The Middle East peace process has a road map’...Grrrr!

craftergran Tue 11-Feb-20 17:46:40

I am 110% sure. (Is there more than one of you?)

He literally blew me away. (That's a superpower)

We will leave no stone unturned. (You didnt upturn the painted stones I have!!)

At the end of the day. (It will be night)

tinaf1 Tue 11-Feb-20 17:47:07

The abbreviations on gransnet why do the have to be prefixed as well eg DH if you’re going to use them then just use H
Hun babe
Basically
Had my moan goes off to cook DH dinner ?

Kim19 Tue 11-Feb-20 17:57:17

Feeling somewhat relieved in that this topic has taught me how tolerant I am compared to many of you. However....I'm being particularly tested this month each and every time I hear 'Febury'. Even the BBC announcers are indulging. Ugh!

pollyperkins Tue 11-Feb-20 18:17:26

I agree with most (not all) of these but I admit to calling my (elderly) friends girls, tongue in cheek! . I also say loo.
One that has not been mentioned has become ubiquitous and that is saying ‘like’ instead of ‘as if’.
Example: It looks like it’s going to rain! NO - it looks as if it’s going to rain.
But ‘My sister looks like me’ is ok
If it is describing a verb it should be ‘as if’. If it is describing a noun it should be ‘like’
I remember Ann Widdicombe saying how annoyed she was when ‘It looks like you are writing a letter. Do you want some help?’ flashed up on her computer screen. She said - ‘Well if that’s the level of your grammar, certainly not!’

Dinahmo Tue 11-Feb-20 18:24:01

pops of colour

nuculer

grandkids

momentarily - as in the plane will be in the air momentarily

use of unfamiliar words incorrectly. As in "the house has eloquent and bombastic views" (from an American estate agent's description)

duju Tue 11-Feb-20 18:28:55

I was taught (1960’s) never to begin a written sentence with the word but. So the son that irritates his mum by using the word however, may have also been taught to avoid the word but as the first word of a sentence.
On the TV programme named A Place In The Sun, the presenters that tell the would be purchasers “ This is your kitchen, or lounge or garden” ... instead of “This is the”.
“I sways want to do this sometimes”.
Sorry for my late contribution.

Marthjolly1 Tue 11-Feb-20 18:29:40

TOXIC. Just about everything now is referred to as being toxic. I hear it used everyday everywhere.