Gransnet forums

AIBU

Whatever happened to relationships?

(93 Posts)
MawB Tue 11-Feb-20 22:00:48

Is it just me?
I am getting so sick of seeing affairs and cheating on spouses everywhere I look.
Watching “The Split” - lovely family, got it all so why is the wife having an affair at the office?
Last night’s “Cold Feet” and Pete is seriously tempted - will he hold fast or is it a hint of what is to come?
OK call me naive and I know it isn’t real life, but it does reflect the auto-destruct button so many people carry.

Sallywally1 Thu 20-Feb-20 17:58:03

I think they are sweet. I wish Dr Turner was my doctor!

Seriously though, the world call the midwife portrays is just as unreal in a different way to that portrayed in many modern dramas. The original book by Jennifer Worth and her other books showed a very flawed world, with no magic happy ever afters for many people. I love the series though.

dragonfly46 Wed 19-Feb-20 08:53:07

I don’t know where they get their energy from!

sodapop Wed 19-Feb-20 08:47:37

Seems a bit like double standards there nevera2banana male is portrayed as a cheating cretin whilst the female is just a good old gal enjoying herself.

Neva2bananna Wed 19-Feb-20 00:39:57

Re The Split. Has anyone remembered the husband of the ‘has it all’ lovely divorce lawyer having a very well publicised affair/dalliance in the first series, leaving said ‘lovely life my wife very hurt and completely devastated?
Instead of the ‘lovely life’ wife merely sucking it up and thanking her cotton socks for her cheating husband methinks she having a tiny bit of revenge by indulging herself with someone who fancies her!
Daughter having joint in episode 2 blames it also on father ‘dalliance’ being an embarrassment on social media.
These cretin cheating men have a lot to answer for - and this is just TV AND on BBC!!!

Beswitched Sat 15-Feb-20 08:47:59

I was staying at my mum's last night and she was watching Coronation Street. It seems to have been invaded by a load of footballer and wag types with their tacky and dreary sex lives.

They need more characters like Mavis, Percy, Raquel and Curley who could blend humour and pathos and make you really feel for them.

The current lot are like cardboard cut outs. I feel sorry for the older actors playing Ken, Rita, Audrey and Gail. It must be hard to look back and remember the brilliant drama they used to be part of.

Iam64 Sat 15-Feb-20 08:15:47

Yes, I wished she had chosen Mike as well. It was fun though, the interest and the announcement at the Theatre of Dreams.

rosecarmal, yes, Emma Thompson with Joni Mitchell playing in the background reduced me to tears.

rosecarmel Sat 15-Feb-20 03:44:43

There's a new article in The Washington Post by Arthur Brooks titled The U.S. is in a crisis of love-

It does seem like something is missing, be it the absence of vulnerability, romance, risk, and commitment- Maybe people just feel jaded or that what they have is never enough?

I don't consider myself old, but fall into the not want to be bothered with a relationship category, like plenty of others -

"Romance" seems too much like work hahaha like sort of a "performance"- Or forced-

Lots of people have pets instead-

Emma Thompson broke my heart in Love Actually-

Galaxy Fri 14-Feb-20 22:45:47

She should definitely have chosen Mikesmile

Chewbacca Fri 14-Feb-20 22:44:09

Could never abide Eastenders because it was always so damned depressing. And I stopped watching Corrie when the humour ended and the moralistic raising awareness story lines took over. Come back Ena Sharples, Martha Longhurst and Annie Walker!

MissAdventure Fri 14-Feb-20 22:39:35

Well, I never knew that! That's really great. smile

I always sort of hoped she may have chosen Mike.

Iam64 Fri 14-Feb-20 22:35:42

Miss Adventure, there was an announcement at Old Trafford during half time, telling the 80 thousand plus fans gathered for the match, that Dierdrie had chosen Ken. The auditorium erupted with cheers.
That’s Manchester ???

oodles Fri 14-Feb-20 15:57:37

No TV here but ex still managed affairs so I discovered, honestly having affairs is as old as time, it antedstes TV by millennia. A great aunt by marriages father disappeared and her mother discovered after he died that he'd gone on to marry again bugamously, lots of affairs in the pre TV past coming to light with dna tests too. Lots in real modern life too that seem not to have anything to do with TV. What it would be good to see is the aftermath of affairs in TV programs, the effect it has on the children, on the other spouse, what divorce is like with 2tiny homes I stead of a family home, how so often the father refuses to lay maintenance, how people need to have std tests done after 40 years together, how they find they have an std after years of fidelity etc. In years gone by pre antibiotics, men would pass on untreatable syphilis to their wife, condemning her to a life of ill health and early death and risking children being born with it
Give me the turners any day. Real life is often weirder than fiction, if I told you the stories of my ex and his new woman you'd think it far fetched, abut all true. Front page of our local paper today, a doctor struck off for watching a girl in the shower, and a man who set fire to his girlfriend,
Truth is often stranger than fiction.

MissAdventure Thu 13-Feb-20 10:22:29

The storyline about the Ken/Deirdre/Mike love triangle attracted record viewers, perhaps because it was unusual and so well written?

caramel Thu 13-Feb-20 09:34:55

I watched Coronation Street for about 40 yrs but had to stop because I was sick of all the story lines about affairs. I haven't missed watching it all since.

JaneJudge Wed 12-Feb-20 21:22:13

I'm in my 40s. All of my older family, mum, dad, aunts, uncles had affairs.
afaik my husband and my cousins haven't nor have I! JUst one cousins wife...all in our 40s..
is is new, old or just indifferent

SueDonim Wed 12-Feb-20 19:55:23

That’s interesting. Something good about the online world!

suziewoozie Wed 12-Feb-20 19:25:10

www.theguardian.com/society/2016/mar/10/are-teenagers-having-less-sex-and-is-social-media-to-blame?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Here’s the link

Callistemon Wed 12-Feb-20 18:43:51

I started to watch the split but confess that I was very bored and turned it off.

If she doesn't want Stephen Mangan, I 'm happy to take him on. As we're both married would that be an affair?

SueDonim Wed 12-Feb-20 18:11:29

So that’s what they mean by safe sex, Suziewoozie! grin

Grandmama Wed 12-Feb-20 18:07:20

I used to be a Corrie fan but stopped watching it many years ago. Unpleasant, amoral and immoral story lines, not what I wanted to have thrust on me or beamed into our house.

suziewoozie Wed 12-Feb-20 17:49:43

I read somewhere that they were all too busy on their iPhones and Tablets to be having sex

SueDonim Wed 12-Feb-20 17:22:22

If we’re talking about unmarried teenage mothers, the teenage pregnancy rate is at its lowest since records began. I’m not sure if that is because of or in spite of TV soaps.

sodapop Wed 12-Feb-20 17:15:42

Yes I agree suziewoozie I think those awful so called reality shows have far more potential for harm than the soaps.

Fiachna50 Wed 12-Feb-20 17:02:23

Cor St and Eastenders have got very like each other over the years. I stopped watching along time ago. I used to love Cor St, but not anymore. I do enjoy River City, but don't know if you get this in England or other countries. It has its fair share of ridiculous storylines, but also portrays a sense of community. There is great humour at times too.

endlessstrife Wed 12-Feb-20 16:52:04

Be honest, no one would watch these dramas and soaps if everyone behaved properly, they’ be so boring!