Gransnet forums

AIBU

What makes us Human - Kate Adie

(32 Posts)
May7 Wed 12-Feb-20 18:45:36

Did anyone listen to the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 this afternoon. In particular the item entitled “What makes us Human”
Now I’ll hold my hands up and say I am not a fan of the show and whilst I listen to radio 2 all day (in the background) I switch channels to anything rather than listen to him and his mostly overbearing guests . Today though I was trapped in a friend’s car and the show was on. Coronavirus was the discussion and the usual mix of people were giving their opinions. Then the item “What makes us human” came on and it was the turn of Kate Adie to enlighten us. What a beautiful and thought inspiring broadcast this was. Even though Kate has been to all the war torn countries and seen some terrible atrocities she says Kindness is what makes us human . If you can listen to it on catch up please try to.

She says she wishes that “We all just took a little time to be kind before we put pen to paper or our fingers on keyboards and social media or forums”..... Just got me thinking today ???

BBbevan Thu 13-Feb-20 14:53:58

Love, empathy, wisdom, kindness and inventiveness come to mind .Probably a lot more.

Gemini17892 Thu 13-Feb-20 18:12:15

In addition to what has already been mentioned I’d add art . Some animals are creative but are there any which decorate their homes or bodies just for the appearance ?

pinkquartz Thu 13-Feb-20 18:16:31

consciousness is what makes us human.

animals are able to be kind too.

possibly also a sense of humour

Hetty58 Fri 14-Feb-20 19:04:08

At school, 50 odd years ago, we were taught that animals act merely on instinct. We thought ourselves far superior beings.

That was a load of rubbish, since disproved. In fact, we are the worst creature, the only one stupid enough to destroy it's own environment.

When we look into psychology, it soon becomes clear that we are motivated by self interest. That puts a whole new interpretation on the concept of kindness!

pinkquartz Fri 14-Feb-20 21:10:24

We have consciousness and can make choices .that many are motivated by greed and other horrible agendas doesn't detract from the good people can do .

Many good things are going on we just hear about the destructive and ugly stuff.

May7 Fri 14-Feb-20 21:19:01

pinkquartz

Many good things are going on we just hear about the destructive and ugly stuff

Do you think this is down to what's reported on the media or as humans we tend to focus on the negatives rather than the positives ?