Gransnet forums

AIBU

Spell my name right!

(140 Posts)
watermeadow Sun 16-Feb-20 13:37:27

In my generation you were probably named either Susan or Ann (or Anne) Bad enough to be one of five in the same class with the same name but every time I give my name I have to spell it.
I blame my mother and just put up with it but I get irritable when, after knowing or communicating with someone for some time, they keep using the other spelling.
It seems rude to point it out but they are rude to not use the right spelling of my very common name. I want to say No, there’s no E, it is not spelled any old way at random. Each of us is either Ann or Anne, roughly half and half so it’s not odd to have the E or to not have the E.

okimherenow Mon 17-Feb-20 10:40:27

My name is more common as a male name..
Used to internally giggle when I turned up to meetings and they were obviously expecting a man.. I developed quiet confidence due I think in no small way to my "boys" name.

JackyB Mon 17-Feb-20 09:06:02

My name can only be spelt one way (you can probably guess it from my use name here) But over the years, people have mangled it so much that there are now several versions about. Especially here in Germany, where it is now a fashionable name (though more of a chavvy one). It causes some raised eyebrows that someone of my age has that name, till I remind them od a certain First Lady who was around in he 60s.

People always ask me to spell it and then get it wrong.

It does make me cross, but not so much as a young colleague I had with the same name - same spelling - who really got worked up about it.

yggdrasil Mon 17-Feb-20 08:53:10

BBevan: "My name was very unusual in the 50/60s It is getting rather more popular now. There are two spellings. What really annoys me is when you send a card or letter to someone and they reply using the other spelling of my name."

You aren't a Harriet, by any chance. Or a Harriett, or Harriette or even Harriot!

JuliaM Mon 17-Feb-20 07:35:10

I have a very unusual surname, l normally spell it out for people l am speaking to on the Phone, yet the written variations l get in reply are often nothing like it actually is, and some of them downright commical!
When l was nursing a fairly common name for patients was Leslie, the male spelling, and Lesley the female spelling of the name, so we often knew if it was a Lady or a Man we were preparing for before we met them, but even then there were afew who did not conform to this rule, and one consultant always miss spelt it as Leslee!

PamelaJ1 Mon 17-Feb-20 06:35:06

Aggh? myDD’s middle name is Ann or Anne?. If I can’t remember it who can? My excuse is that it came from his side of the family?
She’ll have to divorce me!

BradfordLass73 Mon 17-Feb-20 03:53:28

Nine times out of ten people mis-spell my name, even when replying to a mail I've just signed correctly.

I don't give a tinker's cuss. Don't sweat the small stuff.

notanan2 Sun 16-Feb-20 23:01:34

I have a traditional name with 2 spellings.

It doesnt bother me on cards etc. If people go out and buy me a card then they care and arent doing it deliberately.

It only annoys me on official documents where I have given my correct spelling and they still get it wrong

annsixty Sun 16-Feb-20 22:03:14

My D had her second baby on her deceased MiL’s birthday.
She reluctantly agreed to include her name to the two my GD was given, reluctantly because her name was Mona.
When SiL rang his F to tell him of the birth and the inclusion of his M’s name , his F surprised him by saying it wasn’t her actual name ,her real name was Clarissa.
This was my own M’s name, she was thrilled of course and told everyone the baby was named after her.
Actually she was always known as Clarice.
We have traced the variation of Clarissa, Clarice and Clara to every generation since 1787, that is as far as we could go.

Txquiltz Sun 16-Feb-20 21:59:20

My first and maiden names are not pronounced like one would think by the spelling. When I married I promised myself I would find a Smith or Jones to remedy the last name. I married a man with a very simple name......familiar to all since it is also an international brand name. Would you believe people still ask me to spell it? I give. ?

Roses Sun 16-Feb-20 21:49:00

My mum was known by three different names, one for family,one for neighbours and her real one by doctors etc

My dad always called his mum Liz so my sister called her daughter Elizabeth after my nan, it was only after my nan died that we found out she was called Theresa

Fran3669 Sun 16-Feb-20 21:25:33

@Chewbacca my first husband had always used the short version of my name until he inexplicably sent a card with the longer version. Unfortunately he used the male spelling and I wasn’t too polite about it.... It’s not the reason he’s my ‘ex’ but it certainly didn’t help his case grin

I get various versions of my first name along with people rarely getting my surname correct into the bargain. It doesn’t bother me although I was annoyed that one woman I worked with argued that it was my parents who’d got it wrong - they haven’t/didn’t!

The worst comment I got was from someone asking whether I preferred one of two versions of my middle name (eg Linda/Lynn) and, when I pointed out I used my first name his response was, “I’m surprised at that as it’s really old fashioned”. He was filling in a form for a new car I was buying and I was too shocked to argue back.

annsixty Sun 16-Feb-20 21:19:42

I am Ann but most people who don’t know me , eg official documents, always put an E on the end.
I now say always, Ann without an e.

callgirl1 Sun 16-Feb-20 21:17:55

My first name is June, but I`ve always been called by my middle name, Lois. Whenever I get official letters, or go in hospital, I get June, but it takes a minute or so to register with me when I`m addressed as June. One of my sisters-in-law has known me for 58 years, but still writes my name as Lowis, sometimes adds an e to it. My granddaughter was christened Jenny, but people insist on calling her Jennifer. And the many different versions of my surname used over the phone...…………….! I`ve started saying nobody of that name lives here.

kittylester Sun 16-Feb-20 21:07:49

My mother was christened Alice, mostly called Babs and then DS1 couldnt say Nana but called her Anna instead and, as he was the first grandchild, it stuck.

In the nursing home she was called the Duchess!

I have an unusual first name, the diminutive of which can be spelt two ways - people usually get it wrong or they call me Sue!!!

GagaJo Sun 16-Feb-20 21:02:43

People frequently spell my name wrong. I wouldn't mind, it's a matter of one letter, BUT the pronunciation is different, too.

It's got so bad that I now shorten it myself, despite disliking the shortened version. But in theory, that way it can't be spelled wrong. Some STILL manage to though. Urgh

Callistemon Sun 16-Feb-20 21:01:54

Urmstongran grin

I only know a Lyndsey (female), a Lyndsay (male) and a Linzi!!

Urmstongran Sun 16-Feb-20 20:56:51

My dad had 2 first names, one used by his family and one by his friends. He also had a name which was derived from his surname. 3 names all for one man, depending on who was calling!

I asked him one day if he minded?

He replied ‘I don’t mind what I’m called so long as it’s not late for dinner’.

?

Willynilly Sun 16-Feb-20 20:40:18

I have a very unusual Christian name, and it’s rare to find it pronounced properly....very irritating when I was younger, but I don’t care much now.
I suppose I’m more comfortable with it/myself now.

Urmstongran Sun 16-Feb-20 20:22:31

Yes Calli I agree!
And what about:

Lindsey
Lindsay
Linzi
Linzy
Linsey
Linsay
Lyndsey
Lindsay
Lynsey
Lynsay

??

ExperiencedNotOld Sun 16-Feb-20 20:05:51

This is more about what’s heard rather than what’s written but nearly everyone in my mother’s family has two names - the name on their birth certificate and another family name that’s completely different but not necessarily a pet name. My mother worked with her sister: at work her sister called her by her proper name and in private by her family name, and would never get it wrong. It confuses the hell out of other people.

MamaCaz Sun 16-Feb-20 18:21:35

I answer to various variations on my name.
Whenever someone has suddenly panicked, discovering that they might have been calling me the wrong name for goodness knows how long (this started happening when I got an email address with my correct name!) my response was, and still is, that as long as it's polite, I really don't mind what people call me smile.

SalsaQueen Sun 16-Feb-20 18:08:28

Chewbacca Your husband didn't get your name right? Bloody hell, that's definitely grounds for divorce

BlueBelle Sun 16-Feb-20 17:48:48

Well chew is quite an unusual name to get right ???

BBbevan Sun 16-Feb-20 17:48:46

My name was very unusual in the 50/60s It is getting rather more popular now. There are two spellings. What really annoys me is when you send a card or letter to someone and they reply using the other spelling of my name. I have two nieces, now in their 50s. Since they were born I have sent them birthday and Christmas cards. They still can’t get my name right. I find it quite rude really.

Chewbacca Sun 16-Feb-20 17:35:43

Funnily enough SalsaQueen my "D"H never got my name right either. Not once. Another reason he's an ex.