Gransnet forums

AIBU

Spell my name right!

(139 Posts)
watermeadow Sun 16-Feb-20 13:37:27

In my generation you were probably named either Susan or Ann (or Anne) Bad enough to be one of five in the same class with the same name but every time I give my name I have to spell it.
I blame my mother and just put up with it but I get irritable when, after knowing or communicating with someone for some time, they keep using the other spelling.
It seems rude to point it out but they are rude to not use the right spelling of my very common name. I want to say No, there’s no E, it is not spelled any old way at random. Each of us is either Ann or Anne, roughly half and half so it’s not odd to have the E or to not have the E.

rosenoir Sun 16-Feb-20 13:42:19

I have a relative called Ann or it could be Anne, I rarely have the need to write her name so is something I do not remember. As you say it is half and half so an easy mistake.

SueDonim Sun 16-Feb-20 13:49:10

I have a name which can be spelt two ways. It annoys me when people use the wrong spelling even when they’ve known me for years!

Chewbacca Sun 16-Feb-20 13:51:53

Irritating isnt it? I have quite an unusual name and so I shorten it; think Lynette shortened to Lyn. At the foot of my business email, my signature is the abbreviated version of my name, so Lyn Jones, for example. It is in a large, emboldened font. And pretty much every response I get back says "Hi Linda.....". I take care to make sure that I spell anyone's name correctly but I rarely get the same courtesy in return.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 16-Feb-20 13:54:44

Maybe you should wear a name badge ANN! Until they get it right Joke!!

NannyJan53 Sun 16-Feb-20 14:00:26

My name is spelt differently to the usual way.

The only time it irks me is when people I have known for years, spell it the usual way. At the end of the day, it still sounds the same when spoken though. smile

Kalu Sun 16-Feb-20 14:03:39

Snap SueDonim. Even worse, as in my case, it’s a family member?

Something I always make a point in doing is to use the correct spelling of someone’s name. It’s really not difficult if you can be bothered!

grannyticktock Sun 16-Feb-20 14:11:26

I have a name that can be spelled three ways, plus one or two impossible variants that people invent sometimes. And now my married surname can be spelled with or without a final E so I have to spell both names.

I made sure I gave my daughters nice simple names than can only be spelled one way.

Susan56 Sun 16-Feb-20 14:12:43

My husbands name can be spelt one of two ways.He has one aunt who always spells it a third way making it a totally different name!

MawB Sun 16-Feb-20 14:16:14

“So that’s Ann Withany, madam, right?” gringrin

Esspee Sun 16-Feb-20 14:16:52

I can’t get too worked up about it TBH.

(Probably why legal documents list my aliases....otherwise known as Espee, Esspe) ?

Chestnut Sun 16-Feb-20 14:22:42

I get a bit annoyed when people use an abbreviation of my name (i.e Lyn for Lynette) when I have introduced myself with my full name because that is the one I like to use. Some people do ask which I really appreciate, others just go ahead and abbreviate without asking. I also dislike it when people get it totally wrong (i.e. Lydia for Lynette) ? especially if repeatedly!

Chestnut Sun 16-Feb-20 14:24:43

To be honest there are so many very weird spellings of names nowadays, really unfair on the child who has to spell their name every single time! Could also be very confusing for official documents where the spelling is important.

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 16-Feb-20 14:47:28

I have an unusual name that nobody can spell, I’m not sure where my mother heard it, but my Driving Test examiner said it was from a film .1952 film.

It’s a pain, most people know my shortened name but very few know the real one.

And don’t get me started on trying to tell someone on the phone.......

janeainsworth Sun 16-Feb-20 14:54:19

I haven’t liked it on the admittedly rare occasions when someone has spelled my name ‘Jayne’, with its connotations of peroxide hair and what Peter Cook referred to as ‘busty substance’ grin

GrannySomerset Sun 16-Feb-20 15:00:13

I have always had to spell my name and complained bitterly to my mother, saying “why didn’t you call me Anne?” She pointed out that I would still have been asked to spell it!

mokryna Sun 16-Feb-20 15:05:11

I have the same problem, ending with or without an ‘e’ in England. Moreover living in France it’s never pronounce correctly and there can be three other different spelling mistakes but it doesn’t bother me much as I am not that good with Breton ( etc) names,

Charleygirl5 Sun 16-Feb-20 15:12:05

I have to spell my first and second names and even family get both wrong. It really irritates me even now.

gillybob Sun 16-Feb-20 15:17:27

I have always had to spell my name too . Gill with a G and not Jill with a J. Doesn’t bother me in the slightest .

chocolatepudding Sun 16-Feb-20 15:18:02

I have a very unusual name similar to Helen and I have to spell it out a lot. i find it is easier to say "call me anything beginning with H and I will reply- it only matters on official papers". For three years I worked in an open plan office with approx 40 ladies and 7 of us had names beginning with H!

My Mum had a friend with the same name as me who also had a daughter again with the same name - very confusing!

MawB Sun 16-Feb-20 15:38:41

Janeainsworth - grin gringrin

Marydoll Sun 16-Feb-20 15:39:11

I have a cousin called Anne and a sister in law called Ann.
I'm always getting the spellings mixed up, which I do understand can upset people.

I once sent my SIL a birthday card, she posted the card straight back to me with Anne crossed out and replaced with Ann.
I never did that again. blush

Yennifer Sun 16-Feb-20 15:44:08

Everyone gets my name wrong I'm so used to it I just go by whatever version. It would be the same as people pronouncing Yennifer as Jennifer. I have a name where the letter is pronounced differently in its country of origin x

agnurse Sun 16-Feb-20 15:54:39

I have that problem with my last name - both maiden and married. I quite literally learned to spell my maiden name by hearing my mother spell it on the phone. Both names are also unpronouncable by most people.

Growing up, I was also commonly called by my sister's name because we reportedly look very similar. We aren't twins but were often mistaken for each other.

merlotgran Sun 16-Feb-20 15:54:46

I once sent my SIL a birthday card, she posted the card straight back to me with Anne crossed out and replaced with Ann.

shock That would be the last birthday card she ever got from me.

You do not want to know how my SIL spells her name, Jackie. She lived opposite us when I was at school. My friends would regularly take the piss politely ask why??