Gransnet forums

AIBU

Prat Tabs (aka designers' logos)

(104 Posts)
Dinahmo Tue 18-Feb-20 12:21:36

Could anyone explain why people are prepared to spend lots of money on handbags and clothing that have the designer's logo (known in my house as a prat tab) clearly visible. A recent Guardian fashion article has photos of bags by Dior, YSL, Chanel et al, some with their logos, such as YSL as the clasp.

The girl who sings the latest James Bond theme was on tv this morning, wearing Burberry clothes but also a deep sweatband with the name emblazoned across the front.

Is it because the wearers want to show how rich they are?

H1954 Tue 18-Feb-20 18:37:45

I absolutely refuse point blank to wear any garments or accessories that show the manufacturer/designer name or logo! And f I ever have to pay for a carrier bag with the store name on it I will instantly turn it inside out as I'm not paying to advertise any products!

Welshwife Tue 18-Feb-20 19:38:01

Maybe Billie Eilish is troubled by very bright lights - since DH had his cataracts done he often wears his sunglasses indoors and particularly some supermarkets which have very bright lights.

I often buy the more expensive spec frames as I find them a much better fit and they last better - they quite often turn out to be a ‘designer’ frame of someone I have never heard of!!

Missfoodlove Tue 18-Feb-20 22:23:55

grannypiper, I am assuming you guessed the brand named after a bush!!
If you are meaning the rather more understated brand then it’s Tusting. ?

GrannyLaine Tue 18-Feb-20 23:06:27

Not in the slightest bit interested in designer labels but I do confess to owning one of the said 'bush' bags and a couple of Hèrmes scarves but all bought secondhand and such lovely quality.

Chewbacca Tue 18-Feb-20 23:47:23

I'm always astonished that anyone would pay thousands of £'s for a handbag. I'd be terrified of taking it out of the house!

agnurse Wed 19-Feb-20 01:52:46

Chewbacca

Well, exactly. If you're paying extra for quality, that's one thing. (For example, boxed macaroni and cheese, commonly known as Kraft Dinner or KD, is popular in Canada. You can buy brand name KD as well as store brands, but my mum once said that cheapie Kraft Dinner tastes like cheapie Kraft Dinner. So we buy the brand name stuff.) But I am not prepared to pay extra just for the T-shirt to say "Tommy Hilfiger" when I could get a T-shirt of a reasonably similar quality much cheaper from Walmart. Especially for things such as handbags and children's clothes. Now, I do have a Roots backpack (which is a little more expensive) but I bought it second hand at a yard sale.

Artdecogran Wed 19-Feb-20 01:57:48

I always laugh when the tv cameras do a close up on roger federer’s shoes at Wimbledon. They have a little label with RF on them. I think it’s like kiddies having everything marked for school.

harrigran Wed 19-Feb-20 08:29:32

I have several handbags from the famous bush and you actually have to search for the logo, it is very discreetly placed on the fastening.
Designer bags may seem to be expensive but are well made and last for years, they do provide repair and renovation services too.

TerriBull Wed 19-Feb-20 09:49:47

I have to confess to having a Mulberry handbag which I really, really wanted for a while, when I got round to buying it and handing over a substantial amount of money for what is essentially a frippery, somehow it lost all its appeal in a thrill of the chase sort of way. Unfortunately at a later stage I inadvertently customised it with a leaking pen, so now it has a visible blob of ink to further enhance it sad

I remember listening to the psychologist, Oliver James, say that here in the west we waste a lot of time coveting stuff, because that's all it ever is "stuff" which ultimately doesn't make us happy. How true! I haven't bought a handbag for a while now, sometimes I look at them when I'm out and tell myself "you really don't need another, you don't use the ones you have nearly enough"

Callistemon Wed 19-Feb-20 09:54:28

If it's not in TK Maxx then it has passed me by.

Nannylovesshopping Wed 19-Feb-20 10:14:34

I love TK Maxx, my second most favourite shop ?

Shelmiss Wed 19-Feb-20 10:42:20

I don’t spend much money on clothes, but handbags are my thing. I have a couple of Mulberry bags and a couple of Prada bags. I absolutely love them and use them all often.

Buffybee Wed 19-Feb-20 10:54:04

I think designer labels look ok on young people, it’s a fashion thing but would look faintly ridiculous on someone in our age bracket.

agnurse Wed 19-Feb-20 17:41:46

TerriBull

Hubby, daughter, and I used to live in a 650 sq ft house when Hubby and I first married. (Daughter is his from his first marriage.) A friend was driving me home from work once and I mentioned that our house was small. She said to me, "I have yet to see a hearse pulling a U-Haul". (U-Haul is a popular brand of moving truck. I rented one myself when I moved to my community.)

NfkDumpling Wed 19-Feb-20 18:03:18

Love the expression “Prat Tab”. I shall use it at every opportunity. Thanks Dinahmo.

(I may even get some made and attach them to the outside of my TU jeans.)

pen50 Thu 20-Feb-20 10:15:03

Not only do I avoid if at all possible wearing labels on the outside, I also have a self imposed rule that my reusable bags must come from a supermarket other than the one I'm shopping at. I've paid for them so why should I have to advertise the retailer as well?

Crazycatwoman Thu 20-Feb-20 10:23:51

@ Dinahmo

Why 'prat tab'? A perfectly sound, honest surname but always used in a derogatory sense by people with no thought for those bearing it. I once complained to the BBC about Jeremy Vine's continual use of it in one particular broadcast and they acknowledged my view.

We have laws on sexism, racism, ageism, but nothing to stop people being offensive with nameism.

No, it isn't my surname BTW, but I have a friend seriously bullied at school because of it.

4allweknow Thu 20-Feb-20 10:24:36

I remember about 35 years ago I bought a jacket in a very high end department store. There was a sale on but my item was not sale merchandise. When paying, the assistant brought out a large carrier bag with the logo and 'sale' plastered over it. I refused to use the bag as I had not benefitted from the sale. Assistant had to consult with manager before being sent to find a non sale bag. We are used as advertising vehicles. Of course unless its a paper bag now you use your own. A lot of media folk are paid for using brands and given items free of charge. A lot of others but not all just want to show off.

Margs Thu 20-Feb-20 10:26:04

I blame footballer's WAG's.

Crazycatwoman Thu 20-Feb-20 10:27:05

NfkDumpling
"Love the expression “Prat Tab”. I shall use it at every opportunity. Thanks Dinahmo".

Really?? Why??

Please don't, think about people's feelings

Phloembundle Thu 20-Feb-20 10:29:50

People with more money than sense telling us they've made it. As Stephen Fry said, there is nothing created by man that comes close to the beauty of the natural world, which goes for fashion items too.

Aepgirl Thu 20-Feb-20 10:30:48

Got it in one, Dinahmo.

Merryweather Thu 20-Feb-20 10:31:45

I love the name ‘prat tab’. Brilliant. I can’t stand most of these designer items. Many look cheep and common.
Give me Debenhams, fat face or supermarket clothing any day.

MerylStreep Thu 20-Feb-20 10:36:32

Callistamon
I got a lovely pair of tan Ralf Lauren jeans in your favourite shop. The best fit I've ever had.

Kim19 Thu 20-Feb-20 10:37:49

Did without a lot of tat long ago and managed a Burberrys coat and an Aquascutum suit. Still going strong 40 years later. Not a bad investment methinks.