Gransnet forums

AIBU

Vanity (personalised) license plates

(191 Posts)
GagaJo Wed 19-Feb-20 05:19:26

Following on from the prat tabs/designer labels thread.

IMO' vanity license plates are the height of vulgarity. A clear signal of social climbing, 'look, I have money to waste!'

They make me shudder.

rosecarmel Sun 01-Mar-20 20:49:54

smile

annodomini Sun 01-Mar-20 20:40:54

My parents just happened to acquire a car with the reg HAG45 and it was the year that my mum was 45, though she tried to deny that!

SirChenjin Sun 01-Mar-20 20:32:44

My PIL had a car with the letters VAG in the registration when DH was a teenager - he’s never quite recovered from the teasing he got from his friends grin. That was definitely not a private plate!

Nightsky2 Sun 01-Mar-20 20:21:16

GagoJo. This is a silly thread. What on Earth has vanity got to do with having a personalised number plate. I have had one on my car for years. It’s extremaely convenient as I never forget it and it has increased in value. I never have to buy a brand new car and frankly if I had known that they were such a good investment I might have bought some more and just hung onto them.

Flexible Friend?

Hetty58 Sun 01-Mar-20 20:06:14

I think they're daft - but to each their own. Once, my father hired a 'nicer' car to take my mother on holiday. She had a real tantrum, as (he hadn't even noticed) the registration was COW something!

rosecarmel Sun 01-Mar-20 19:56:37

I didn't get it either, my youngest told me- smile

SirChenjin Sun 01-Mar-20 19:52:04

Ahh - got it now! smile

Chewbacca Sun 01-Mar-20 19:35:58

It's "be joyful" SirChenjin.

SirChenjin Sun 01-Mar-20 19:21:20

I’m obviously missing something very obvious - but I don’t get that one!

rosecarmel Sat 29-Feb-20 18:10:45

Another .. BJOIFL

SirChenjin Sat 29-Feb-20 09:33:04

Could he not afford the Y London? grin

chocolatepudding Fri 28-Feb-20 23:27:23

DH was at a petrol station in our car G3### when he was asked if he was a radio ham as the registration could be a call sign. Er no

Londonwifi Fri 28-Feb-20 15:11:49

I personally don’t like them, but the best one I’ve seen is -
SK1BOY driven by a pilot.

FoghornLeghorn Tue 25-Feb-20 00:19:56

Goodness me. I’ve just come over from Mumsnet and this thread is positively genteel compared to over there. ?

May7 Sat 22-Feb-20 15:21:32

Hmmm. Then maybe he was undicating
Too subtle? Or just too rude? blush

Evie64 Sat 22-Feb-20 14:45:48

Errr, indicating. Undicating, I think I've just made up a new word??

Evie64 Sat 22-Feb-20 14:44:54

May 7, ha ha. I think he was actually undicating that he was one grin

annep1 Fri 21-Feb-20 23:30:02

Nor me. The only climbing I'm interested in right now is into bed. ?

Marydoll Fri 21-Feb-20 23:17:28

Annep no need to apologise to me. I was generalising about how ridiculous it was all becoming, not meaning anyone in particular.

I'm a bit odd quirky and my number plate appealed to me, that's all there is too it. ?
Anyway, it's too late for me to become a social climber, I don't have the energy nor the finances..?

annep1 Fri 21-Feb-20 22:56:51

Sorry Marydoll. I was just upset at how Kalu had responded to me. I didn't mean to ruin the thread.
I think though if we all just say I agree or disagree, threads would be very uninteresting.

On rereading I can understand that some folk actually enjoy choosing numberplates for various reasons.
My own views are based partly on those people I know who have them. And I know they all like to impress. And partly just that it wouldn't appeal to me.

I must agree that Gagajo's views are a bit extreme. Personalised plates are neither vulgar or an example of social climbing.

Apologies again.

May7 Fri 21-Feb-20 22:36:53

Evie64
Ha ha talk about putting yourself out there. Was he showing off do you think or just stating that he had one grin

Evie64 Fri 21-Feb-20 20:50:34

Vulgar? Well usually not, they're usually just the owners initials or something. However, I did see one years ago that was definitely on the vulgar side. I was sitting in traffic in Central London behind what looked like a boy racer in his souped up car with my adult daughter. His number plate was, wait for it....... PEN15! shock. My daughter and I were in absolute hysterics and he was glaring at us in his rear view mirror grin. Yes, he was a PEN15 in my opinion. What on earth possessed him to choose that? Bizarre.

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 21-Feb-20 20:37:29

I try to be nice, even though I now find that even that word makes people shudder, along with the number plates. I just wonder why people get so wound up about stuff that completely goes over my head.
Although I sometimes ask the OP a question that gets jumped on by everyone except the OP!
I stay away from posts that have certain people on them, because they get so nasty it isn’t worth my time. I do think though that sometimes humour gets lost in the writing down, unlike a face to face conversation.

Marydoll Fri 21-Feb-20 20:34:14

annep thanks for responding. I feel this thread is starting to get a bit out of hand and perhaps it might be better to let it die a death. However, that is only my opinion.
I feel that those words I mentioned are derogatory, as I am definitely none of those things. (Well I don't think I am). It's all about perception.
I just cannot understand why posters cannot just state their opinion, say they agree or disagree and leave it at that. No need to resort to insults.

Who would have believed that ownership of a personalised numberplate could cause such an upset? ?
There are dreadful things happening in the world just now and this thread is nothing in the scheme of things.

annep1 Fri 21-Feb-20 20:13:33

No Marydoll I wouldn't. I get your point and some remarks are wrong. Attention seeking and social climbing aren't in my view abusive or derogatory. Just views, possibly based on people whom posters know who have bought number plates.
But it's the way some react so angrily that I don't like. Why not reply calmly. Quite often posts just end up as bickering imo.

Kalu began her post with my name. It was aimed at me.