Gransnet forums

AIBU

Vanity (personalised) license plates

(190 Posts)
GagaJo Wed 19-Feb-20 05:19:26

Following on from the prat tabs/designer labels thread.

IMO' vanity license plates are the height of vulgarity. A clear signal of social climbing, 'look, I have money to waste!'

They make me shudder.

Dottynan Wed 19-Feb-20 06:14:38

I think they are good fun

Sara65 Wed 19-Feb-20 06:19:09

Agree GagaJo

Gaunt47 Wed 19-Feb-20 06:57:54

I saw one the other day - DEL 9OY which made me laugh.

Riverwalk Wed 19-Feb-20 07:00:57

I don't mind them - particularly amused by the Pimlico Plumbers vans with their LOO, LAV, TAP, DR41N, etc.

The other day I saw a 'normal' plate with the unfortunate lettering of HPV!

Sar53 Wed 19-Feb-20 07:29:39

My brother has one. Very distinct. He has had it since he was in his early 20's, he's now in his late 50's. He is certainly not 'vulgar' or a social climber. Each to their own.

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 19-Feb-20 07:33:53

As personalised number plates prices start at around £100 I think that it’s hardly a case of having money to waste.
I’m sure people who have house names instead of numbers were once thought of as being socially ambitious.
There are 2 cars in Chelsea with ‘2 be’ and ‘not to be’ registration plates, now that must have cost them a lot of money, but so what?
It always makes me smile. And so far it isn’t illegal.
I’d save your shuddering for things that are truly awful.

Missfoodlove Wed 19-Feb-20 07:42:32

My husband has one, if he ever decided to have an affair I’m sure I would know fairly quickly, friends are always telling me where they saw his car!!

GrannyGravy13 Wed 19-Feb-20 07:43:50

Oh dear as I mentioned on the other thread, it is up to the individual what/where they spend their money.

Stuck in a traffic jam, an amusing number plate is light relief.

My family members are definitely not vulgar social climbers

Esspee Wed 19-Feb-20 07:51:09

It makes your car easy to find in a car park and doesn't advertise how ancient it is. ?
Can't see what it has to do with social climbing unless it is HRH 1

Brunette10 Wed 19-Feb-20 07:53:09

Each to their own, I have had one many, many years now in fact since I was 44. I don't regard myself as a 'social climber'. No different than putting a name on a house which I believe many people do. Think 'height of vulgarity is a bit strong'.

Beechnut Wed 19-Feb-20 08:07:13

A car fanatic will know how old a car is Esspee ?

mumofmadboys Wed 19-Feb-20 08:27:58

I personally wouldn't buy one. However if other people want to buy one that is fine by me. It is no different to having posh jewellery. We all spend our money on what we are interested in. Don't see it as social climbing.

Urmstongran Wed 19-Feb-20 08:28:34

I have no strong feelings about them either way. I wouldn’t pay for one but one of my friends has one and it makes me chuckle when I see it! We all spend our disposable income in a myriad of ways. Choices.
?

Marydoll Wed 19-Feb-20 08:30:08

I too have one and certainly am not a social climber. What a sweeping statement to make about people you don't even know!

I have had mine for over twenty years and didn't cost much money. I saw the plate and it had my initials and date of birth, it appealed to my quirky side.

A few years ago after being unable to drive for six months, I went to visit my DIL in my new car. I had to change cars, as I couldn't get in an out easily, but it had been sitting in my drive for months, so I decided to ease myself back into driving.

As I was leaving, DIL asked if I had changed my car registration, which I hadn't. The numbers and letters were all mixed up on the plate and I hadn't even noticed. blush
It caused great hilarity in the garage, when I took the car back to rectify it. It was my own fault, (being slightly dyslexic) I had mixed up the numbers and letters when getting the plates made.

Lilypops Wed 19-Feb-20 08:30:14

If I had a personalised number plate , it would have to be PMT,, I think drivers would give me a wide berth, they wouldn't want to mess with me !!!

TerriBull Wed 19-Feb-20 08:52:48

My husband had one briefly, I might add his business partner got it for him as a gift. It was his initials plus the age he was at the time. Hated, hated, hated it! particularly when I had to drive that car. I really don't like drawing attention to myself in "a look at me, look what I've got kind of way" In the end I got him to sell it.

Result! [smile}

craftergran Wed 19-Feb-20 08:58:33

If they are very easy to read and remember they might cause issues. Say for example, you inadvertantly cut someone up and they later saw your plate. I just don't think they are a good idea.

Also it spoils our car game smile on long journeys we try to make the longest word out of the number plate. SSG could be sausagemeat.

J52 Wed 19-Feb-20 09:15:46

I have one on my car that is no longer produced and is fast becoming a classic. It defines the car.
My money, my choice. I can’t see why anyone should ‘shudder’. Strange.
I don’t smoke, so maybe I’ve saved money over the years.

Bellasnana Wed 19-Feb-20 09:38:31

They are not unusual in Malta as you can choose your number plate, as long as nobody else has the same one. Mine is the first three letters of my name and the day and month of my birth date. It cost €30 fifteen years ago and I have transferred it to my new car.

I resent being called vulgar and a social climber, although I have been called it before on GN for having artificial grass.grin

Davidhs Wed 19-Feb-20 09:56:20

Reverse snobbery to say it’s vulgar

You pay your money you take your choice, just like expensive jewelry or a fancy kitchen or a sporty car it’s all vanity and most of us do it. A few take delight in sackcloth, ashes and austerity so that they feel better than others, that’s their choice as well

Operalover Wed 19-Feb-20 09:58:53

I bought one last year for my husbands birthday. A great gift for the man who has everything and is hard to buy for. Don’t have money to burn but it’s my choice what I spend my money on.

Elenkalubleton Wed 19-Feb-20 10:06:03

I gave an elderly gentleman a lift who was feeling a bit unwell,I reversed into another car while pulling away ?hence unsightly damage.Covered it with a sticker that says “ On an adventure before dementia”.Ironically a short time after my husband was diagnosed with dementia ?.

Mollygo Wed 19-Feb-20 10:07:29

I like them. Some of the more pretentious ones are really funny. We have one with letters and the last 4 digits of Mum’s phone number on it.
Like craftergran we like to play games with the number plates when I drive GC to school, though I nearly choked at my GD‘a comment on a plate that started PN15.

Beanie654321 Wed 19-Feb-20 10:09:52

Hi. My husband has "vanity" car reg plates and I think it is upto the individual. He works hard for his money as did I so I say why not. I'm sorry if you dont agree, let's agree to disagree.