Gransnet forums

AIBU

Swimming pool etiquette

(42 Posts)
Beswitched Sat 22-Feb-20 16:39:52

I went for a swim earlier at the gym and, as usual, those of us trying to swim lengths were hampered by groups of people standing around chatting either in the middle of the pool or at either end of it so you had to swerv at the last minute to avoid banging into them.

I see this time and again, people who seem to do little or no swimming but hang around in an already buspool having long conversations with their friends.

I'm not talking about people doing water based exercises. But if you just want to chat why not use the steam room or jacuzzi?

SilentGames Sat 11-Jul-20 18:03:26

Eglantine we must share the same swimming pool. This happens in Huntingdon Pool. I get so mad at those who will not give an inch and just stare straight ahead and I have been known to turn around and just swim back where I came from. They certainly don’t like that.

biba70 Sat 11-Jul-20 17:47:19

Two groups of people seem to be pool nuisances. Thos who stand around chatting and make no effort to be aware of swimmers. And at the other extremes- those who don goggles and plough up and down and will never give way or move an inch for slower swimmers- and will crash into you if you don't give way to them. I give way, again and again, but after a while I don't and put my hand and arm up in a protective manner and go on. Both extremes are hugely insensitive.

BlueBelle Wed 08-Jul-20 19:43:58

Not really relevant as pools still closed

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 08-Jul-20 19:20:48

Reported

Oneliffer Wed 08-Jul-20 19:12:41

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

allium Tue 25-Feb-20 02:25:07

Open water swimming a good option.

notanan2 Mon 24-Feb-20 11:01:16

Bradfordlass but you cant tred water im the shallow end. Some people go to feel weightless/off their feet. Their swim is as valid as the up and downers

leyla Mon 24-Feb-20 07:25:24

I find it best always to go when it is lane swimming only to avoid that problem. Perhaps you should chat to the manager of the club and suggest that there are some times for Lane only swimming? At my pool it’s really early in the morning or late at night.

BradfordLass73 Mon 24-Feb-20 07:10:17

Incidentally, it was by no means a racial slur.

I was always told it was another name for a Piskie but the OED says "a raw and unskilled recruit"

BradfordLass73 Mon 24-Feb-20 07:01:56

Haha, having just come from the pool where exactly that was happening, I must admit it was just a wee bit annoying, especially as there was heaps of room in the shallow end; they didn't need to gather in the way of swimmers.

Trouble is, although I can see the light on the water and if someone is directly in my path they block out the light and give me a clue they are there, I have to wear dark glasses and when I'm on a roll, so to speak I don't always see them in time so have ploughed into them on occasion.

It won't stop me swimming though.
I learned in a bitterly cold Yorkshire river when I was six, was a member, for years of a swimming club whose name I am no longer allowed to say and is picked up by most websites and refused - but if you are curious....

www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/8073476.jim-appleby-past-times

And I've swum many a marathon for charity. So a few gossipy people won't put me off. grin

notanan2 Sun 23-Feb-20 17:48:02

which doesn’t exist anyway except in their head

Exactly! You dont get to reserve the whole length of pool on front of you just because you like to do straight lines in the non lane area!

Woodyg Sun 23-Feb-20 17:37:16

Oooh! Just joined Gransnet today and found this thread! Highly topical for me. I got back in the pool in December. I’m 55 and needed an exercise I would enjoy! Started at 20 lengths before Christmas and swam 65 yesterday/ I’ve signed up for Swim22 for Diabetes UK - 22 miles in 12 weeks. I ONLY go when it’s lane swimming. A) There are always ladies chatting at the end and making it impossible to ‘kick’ off the side
B) There are always swimmers in the
‘Medium’ Lane who should definitely be in the slow lane.
I never knew swimming could be so political.... fortunately... I’m a chilled, laid back kinda gal... so I just get on with it.... but..I totally get all the comments so far... there’s definitely an etiquette.... remember the poster that was always at pools? “No heavy petting ?”.... “No chatting in the lanes?” ?

AGAA4 Sun 23-Feb-20 17:17:12

A colleague of mine used to call those who hang around chatting at the sides "jelly fish" as they just waft about in the water. I thought it was a bit unkind.

Suze56 Sun 23-Feb-20 17:06:13

I would recommend trying open water swimming - no lanes, plenty of room and no pool rage.

Eglantine21 Sun 23-Feb-20 11:45:56

I only do it when they’ve forced me to give way to them several times, intent on keeping to their lane (which doesn’t exist anyway except in their head) And in many cases even kicked me as they go past!

How hard is it to swerve, moderate a stroke or even (dare I suggest) turn before you reach the end of the pool where the annoying casual swimmers are being casual in the casual swimming part?

I do it all the time.

The pool’s there for everyone

notanan2 Sun 23-Feb-20 11:15:54

People expecting right of way over everyone else because they decide to do lengths OUTSIDE of the lanes (which your pool has) are the UR ones.

If youre going so slow that you cant swim in the lanes, then youre plenty slow enough to weave and give n take not expect priority

notanan2 Sun 23-Feb-20 11:13:59

Yes in your poole, as per your OP

Beswitched Sun 23-Feb-20 08:49:34

Not in our pool notanan. There are lanes for fast swimmers and the rest of the pool is for ordinary swimming, exercising and walking. It's a gym pool not a public one.

notanan2 Sun 23-Feb-20 01:31:27

The lanes are for laps. The rest is "freestyle" float in one spot. Chase your tail in circles, whatever.

Beswitched Sun 23-Feb-20 00:04:37

No only a couple of fadt lanes. It's a gym swimming pool, no under 18s allowed and almost everyone is swimming or walking up and down the pool. It gets very crowded at certain times and it's very difficult for people to find a space where they can swim up and down without getting in someone's way. Most people, as soon as they've finished swimming get out and use the other facilities.

I can't believe someone would deliberately float in front of someone who's simy trying too swim up and down in a straight line.

Yehbutnobut Sat 22-Feb-20 21:21:07

Surely your pool has a few lanes roped off for those who want to do lengths?

Beswitched Sat 22-Feb-20 20:35:06

But that's not what I'm talking about 52bright. I'm talking about people who just hang out in the pool chatting for ages, making no attempt to swim ie exercise and making it very diffic8for other people to use the pool for its intended purpose.

52bright Sat 22-Feb-20 20:28:33

Thankyou Greenfinch smile

Greenfinch Sat 22-Feb-20 20:11:08

Good post 52bright.

52bright Sat 22-Feb-20 20:07:53

I am a poor swimmer and stick to the lane next to the side so that I can grab it if necessary. My husband is a strong swimmer. When we were younger he used to power through the pool doing a range of strokes including butterfly. He seemed totally oblivious to others in his path until I asked quite mildly one day whether he had paid more to use the pool than others. After a blank stare the penny dropped. He quickly conceded that the weakest swimmer in the pool had paid the same and had as much right to 'potter' as he had to 'power'. In fact without any other prompting he acknowledged that as a strong swimmer it was easier for him to navigate the slower swimmers than the other way around. By the same token I am aware that my 'pottering' does affect others and l do my best to stay out of the way of stronger, more confident swimmers. A bit of consideration all round goes along way.