AIBU

Panic buying of loo roll

(85 Posts)
EllanVannin Wed 11-Mar-20 20:43:58

The corner shops near me have plenty.

grannyrebel7 Wed 11-Mar-20 20:43:48

Who are these people???!!!

lemongrove Wed 11-Mar-20 20:38:08

Perhaps now, anarchy is only three missed toilet rolls away?

Iam64 Wed 11-Mar-20 20:30:37

I called at our supermarket today to buy a bag of potatoes and some hand soap. I've been away so mrI did the shop the past two weeks, so our usual stock of 2 -4 blocks of soap has been used.
There was not a single bar of soap, the toilet roll shelf was also bare. Staff told me there has been a rule of no more than 4 soap bars and two of toilet rolls for a week but as fast as deliveries arrive, shelves are cleared. Cereal and brown rice -all gone, the big worry was that tea bags are also being panic bought.
What's the matter with people?! What about our elderly people, or those with low weekly income who can't afford and often can't carry huge bags of supplies.

merlotgran Wed 11-Mar-20 19:56:14

grin Calli

M0nica Wed 11-Mar-20 19:56:07

I have never quite understood why the panic buying is of basics. Looking back to the last war. Basics; bread, flour, potatoes were always available. It is the little luxuries that disappeared.

If I was panic buying it would be differents herbs, spices and pickles, stock cubes, jams and spreads, all the special flavour enhancing items that make basic food tasty and enjoyable. As it is tomorrow I will go to my local artisan bakery that makes properly proved and baked bread and the most delicious cakes and get a couple of extra loaves and a cak or two, so if we do have to self exclude for any reason we will be able to eat to the standard we are accustomed to. Nothing will go to waste, it will just go into the freezer until needed.

lemongrove Wed 11-Mar-20 19:49:49

At least the population will have clean hands and bottoms for a while then.

Callistemon Wed 11-Mar-20 19:29:25

As I explained recently, as posted by an Australian:

One person sneezes and 100 people shit themselves.

Sorry to be vulgar but the Aussies tell it as it is!

Missfoodlove Wed 11-Mar-20 19:25:07

Because toilet bowl is such a bulky item and does not have a high profit margin supermarkets tend not to carry a big stock.
It takes up a lot of space on the shelves.
So if delivery was held up there could be a shortage.
I guess in our modern and privileged world loo role has become an essential

Sallywally1 Wed 11-Mar-20 19:20:45

I don’t understand this; Coronavirus is ultimately a respiratory /lung disease, so why the bulk buying of loo roll? There is no associated bowel dysfunction. And in any case, fighting over the rolls is ridiculous. When I was growing up in the 60s we always used cloth hankies which my mum then washed and ironed. (The warm hanky felt lovely when one had a cold). So if there is a shortage why not just cut up an old sheet and use that? Am I missing something?