Gransnet forums

AIBU

People Still dont get this

(103 Posts)
granniechrissie Thu 19-Mar-20 21:54:33

If we all just do what is askd of us, then in 90 daystime, life will return to normal. Why is it so hard for people to ollow instructions ..... aaagh

gillybob Fri 20-Mar-20 08:56:06

But Mr Khan people are frightened for their livelihoods as well as this awful virus. We need some kind of income guarantee in place which extends to everyone.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Mar-20 09:00:54

Milton Friedman (so beloved by Thatcher) used the helicopter metaphor arguing that governments can prevent a slump by loading helicopters with money and showering it down on the people to spend.

It is no good giving to the already wealthy as they will simply save it.

The poor will save our economy if only they are given the opportunity.

Oopsminty Fri 20-Mar-20 09:04:47

For those asking for a link.

Why don't you ever google?

Richard Horton. Editor in Chief

This is the Mail which no doubt will have some of you having a fit of the vapours

It's in The Times but one has to pay

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8129805/Britain-start-lift-drastic-social-restriction-measures-summer-expert-claims.html

www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/curbs-on-social-life-could-be-relaxed-by-early-summer-gm03khr6f

Crazygran Fri 20-Mar-20 09:44:11

We must do as we are told but also remember that Spanish Flu killed millions !

Wilma65 Fri 20-Mar-20 09:56:50

I don’t get why people aren’t getting the severity of the situation and staying at home. I was listening to a doctor on LBC just after midnight last night. The hospital he works in is full already. He said why on Earth are people not listening to advice and staying home. People that are currently in hospital caught it 2 weeks ago and in another 2 weeks it will be horrendous because people are still going out and meeting friends, going to pubs, cafes etc. He was pleading with people to stay home. He said he and other staff have been in tears because of it. Please people don’t go out unless you really have to.

Jishere Fri 20-Mar-20 09:58:23

We cannot just be told it's not good enough. Other countries, Morocco two dead they are going in lockdown. Our figure is alot higher and no the choice is yours if you want to go in the pub, on trains etc..., Boris is an idiot and I don't. Money means more than life's.

Aepgirl Fri 20-Mar-20 10:00:11

Hetty58, hardship is better than illness and possible death. We have to act responsibly. Yes, of course it will be hard and will are a long time to recover but if we all work together we’ll get through it.

Marjgran Fri 20-Mar-20 10:00:13

Whitewavemark2 Brexit is not on hold. Tragically it looks like they will get their no deal Brexit after all, because the virus wiping out negotiations

gillybob Fri 20-Mar-20 10:06:13

It’s so easy to judge when you have a guaranteed income . My DD was crying her eyes out last night worrying about paying her bills .

grandtanteJE65 Fri 20-Mar-20 10:12:33

Yes, the virus will be here next year, but by then two things will have happened.

The vaccine that all pharmaceutical companies are working on will have become a reality, and some of us at least will have built up a natural immunity to the virus.

Right now the virus is hitting hard because we have no natural immunity at all.

Please, everyone, do try to calm down. Yes, some poor souls will die, but this virus is not all that dangerous.

It is nothing compared to the Spanish flu of 1919, or the bubonic plague and both infections do still exist.

Nanachoochoo Fri 20-Mar-20 10:15:42

This has been likened to the war. What we need now is what they had in the war - a great PM. Sadly we only have Boris the bumbler.

allule Fri 20-Mar-20 10:18:48

We are both 80 and my husband has a host of ailments, so we don't go out anyway. Our family have stopped visiting and rely on Skype.

However, this week we have had visits from carers, district nurses, two occupational therapists, a hearing firm, an optician, a physiotherapist and a wheelchair assessor, all going from house to house.

We need them all, and are grateful to have them, but I wonder what 'self-isolation' really means?

Luckygirl Fri 20-Mar-20 10:23:03

It is indeed very hard for those whose income will be wrecked. Believe me we know about this in our family - one DD's business has already invested massive (and I mean massive) sums of money in their summer programme and it is all likely to be cancelled. They have employees who will also be hit.

Any loss-of-income strategies from the government will wreck the economy - there is not quick end to this scenario and these strategies will need to continue for an unsustainable length of time.

I am sickened by those who do not think it applies to them - there was a soundbite on TV news last night where a man was interviewed on a Londion street and said he plans to carry on as normal. When asked what would happen if he was carrying the virus and risking passing it on to someone else he shrugged his shoulders and said "Well they will just have to stay in won't they?"

The government needs to stop flip-flopping about with impossible comments about stemming the tide, and just enforce the lock-down.

They already acted far too late by not banning all flights from known virus-infected areas. We rid our country of rabies because it is an island and ideally placed to pull down the drawbridge and enforce proper quarantine - they did not do that and now we are all suffering in one way or another.

stollerf Fri 20-Mar-20 10:24:10

My husband and I have both gone into isolation due to under lying health conditions and my daughter who is front line NHS has moved out so she does not bring the virus back to us.
We just have follow the recommendations to get through this.

suziewoozie Fri 20-Mar-20 10:28:17

grandtante I find your post ill informed, smug and unhelpful. I really can’t be bothered to say more than that, you wouldn’t listen anyway

GrannyGravy13 Fri 20-Mar-20 10:36:38

ditto what Suziewoozie said ?

Pikachu Fri 20-Mar-20 10:39:58

grandtante

“Army lorries have been called in to remove corpses from an overwhelmed Italian crematorium as the country’s death toll from coronavirus overtook that of China.”

Source The Times

kircubbin2000 Fri 20-Mar-20 10:41:20

My 75 year old friend who has copd offered to come and visit me after my recent op.I know she is still going out and not handwashing or taking this seriously so I told her not to come.

Truddles Fri 20-Mar-20 10:43:05

13,600 people died of hunger so far today.

BusterTank Fri 20-Mar-20 10:52:37

When 65% of the British population not taking it seriously , we don't really stand much chance . Moaning the pubs are closing are they willing to die , just to get a drink . I really think that these people need to get a grip . When will people learn don't mix with others , unless it's for food or medication . Then keep your distance from others . For the sake of this country please start taking it seriously .

Luckygirl Fri 20-Mar-20 10:54:03

I am sure you are right Truddles - the world is a tough place for many and is about to become more tough here than we are used to. That should not stop us taking sensible precautions to minimise the impact here.

JacquiG Fri 20-Mar-20 10:55:14

Interesting to see the images and videos of 'lager louts' trying to write themselves out of the gene pool. Idiots!

Our NHS staff are heroes for doing what they do. There's activity on so many fronts, and the science coming out of the global effort will be the foundation for much improvement and change when this is over.

Meanwhile, when this is over, they should get some recognition for their work.

Maremia Fri 20-Mar-20 11:00:29

Whitewave2, Johnston was twice asked this week, on camera, about delaying BREXIT. Both times he gave a sharp, focused answer. 'We have legislation in place'. They plan to crash out.
I will be glad to apologise to you if I am wrong!!!!!

Jillsewing Fri 20-Mar-20 11:06:49

For me I have more of my live behind me rather than in front I would be a mess if I locked the door and stayed in fear. It’s not that I not get it I get it too well. Shopping here is a nightmare 3-4 weeks wait for a delivery slot. We take care but go out.

BusterTank Fri 20-Mar-20 11:06:52

I think brexit is the last of our worries at the moment . I think there are bigger things to worry about at the moment . I'm sure the EU thinks exactly the same .