Gransnet forums

AIBU

Why won't people MOVE out of other people's way?

(121 Posts)
Beswitched Mon 30-Mar-20 12:50:44

I've heard of so many people who have given up going out for their daily walk here in Ireland because they spend the entire time hopping off the pavement and out onto the road to get out of the way of people who seem to want to hog the entire pavement.
Family groups are the worst. It never seems to occur to them to bunch up or go in single file when they meet on comers. They just barge on and expect everyone to work around them.
Surely people should be aware of others and stop giving people a choice of brushing up against them, or stepping out into the road.

I know the chances of catching covid 19 like this are small, but at the moment advice is to observe the 2 mtr rule and people are not comfortable with others coming too close.

Guineagirl Tue 31-Mar-20 11:26:19

Good thread. I am coming across this everyday. Walkers I see who I have never seen before walking cyclists too. I was cycling yesterday a couple coming towards me, one on the path one on the road where am I supposed to go so I had to stop well before them allow a car behind me to pass and go into the middle of the road. Runners are being considerate as I am to everyone allowing 2m when I pass pedestrian on the path. Cycle lanes well the dog walkers will not budge so I aren’t using them, This was never a problem for me cycled for eleven years now and never saw walkers all of a sudden rusty bikes are on the road and hoards of families hogging the path.

Alioop Tue 31-Mar-20 11:26:26

I go out for my one walk a day with my dog and end up in a rage by the time I'm home with some stupid people taking up the whole path either running side by side or chatting away. I'm the one lifting my dog and carrying her onto the road to get away from them. There was one young girl in her teens the other day, walking and swinging her arms way out and there's was me& the dog in the middle of the road again. Social distancing my bottom!! Some haven't a bloomin clue!

Caro57 Tue 31-Mar-20 11:27:52

Re judging 2 metres - Somebody told me - imagine a coffin!!!
Seems to get the message across

Guineagirl Tue 31-Mar-20 11:29:10

It read I cycle on path I mean when they are on the path I maintain 2m by swerving into the middle of the road but some just are not trying.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 31-Mar-20 11:30:16

I have found two things that work.

If I am walking towards people, I just keep straight on and never move towards the kerb. They are thus forced to make way.

If I am walking behind them, I say, "Excuse me", very clearly. If they don't react, I add, "I would like to pass you, please, without stepping off the pavement."

MaggieMay69 Tue 31-Mar-20 11:32:05

I have to disagree though, around where I live, the teens are being wonderful, collecting shopping for those who can't get out, and the selfish ones are the older generation, between 45-65, who seem to think they are more invincible than the kids!

They're driving (only to get to a more rural area to walk!!) no, stop driving unless it is essential! You could break down, or have an accident...its selfish. If you have a garden, exercise there!

Tiggersuki Tue 31-Mar-20 11:33:04

Wish I was brave enough to carry Nonnie's sign. Or maybe a sign that says to the youngsters KEEP AWAY YOU MAY BE A CARRIER OF THE VIRUS.
Was fed up in the past of people walking along looking at their phones and took to just standing still but of course they tend to carry on walking towards you until they spot your feet.
Yesterday when I had my short walk I moved into a driveway to avoid an oblivious talking young couple coming towards me and heard the girl say as they passed me I think she was trying to avoid us.YES I WAS!
Don't understand why they still feel immortal when young ones are dying too.
Help, the world has gone mad

Sarahmob Tue 31-Mar-20 11:34:19

I have my grandson living at my house at the moment. Whenever I take him out in his pushchair for our daily fresh air/exercise people here have been great about stepping off the pavement and moving onto the quiet country roads we walk along. Very fortunate.

Kim19 Tue 31-Mar-20 11:35:14

I'm in the lucky brigade here. So far people of all ages have been respectful of 'the gap' and pretty congenial into the bargain when I do my daily circuit. My supermarket visits reveal a little thoughtlessness sometimes but so far nothing I haven't managed to work around. My amused/anxious encounters have been with a couple of elderly guys who wore a definite expression of irritability combined with 'what a load of nonsense' attitude. These were separate occasions. I hope they fare well but grumpy would certainly have been an understatement.

nipsmum Tue 31-Mar-20 11:47:08

People in Aberdeen must be more polite than some places. Its not a problem I've come across much here. Must people are prepared to stand or step away or stop and wait. We occasionally get a stand off situation then one smiles says thank you and passes on.

Petalpop Tue 31-Mar-20 11:47:37

grandtanteJE65 I agree with you and that is what I do under normal circumstances. I refuse to walk into the gutter because people will not move. I just stop dead. They move. I do not do it at the moment as my life is precious to me and I will not risk it for a stranger.

olliebeak Tue 31-Mar-20 11:49:17

I feel awful for saying this - don't want to be a 'smoker basher' - but for years, I've been dodging smokers when out walking. I really cannot abide the smell of cigarette smoke.

I won't walk behind somebody who's smoking. And when passing somebody who is smoking and coming towards me, I take quite a deep breath, and then don't exhale/inhale until I'm well past the point where we crossed.

The absolute worst is when on a bus. I usually sit in the 'extra leg-room seats' towards the front of the bus. When people are queuing up to get on board, if they are smoking, they have a tendency to take one last BIG drag on their cigarette before getting on board and throwing their dog-end away. They pay their fare and then walk past the driver and give a big exhale before sitting down, as they pass me - aaaaaargh sad.

JanT8 Tue 31-Mar-20 11:54:40

Have to say where we live, a large town, people are generally really good. Our daughter says she finds the supermarket the worst! People often look at her ‘gone out’ and say, ‘Oh, do you want to get past?’. When she says, ‘No, social distancing’ it often doesn’t register!

MRGUDER Tue 31-Mar-20 11:55:53

Brilliant Link Shysal. So funny.
My suggestion is you carry an umbrella and if you see a group approaching, open it up in front of you. That way they will have to walk around you and hopefully realise they were being ignorant.
In fairness, the other day, I encountered a family of 2 adults and 4 kids and they all stood by to let me pass. So I thanked them.

NannyG123 Tue 31-Mar-20 12:02:25

My h and I went for a walk down by the river last week, which is normally fairly quiet. Think lots of people had the same idea. The path wasn't very wide. And not just family members grouping together. There were groups of young people together, not getting on single file. So we didn't stay long. And won't be going back until all this is over.

Nannan2 Tue 31-Mar-20 12:05:46

Yes ExD,had that problem other day too,with the trolleys,my son drove me to a fairly new Lidl about 2mins from us(we DO live in same house,so ok on rules!) They had spray for cleaning trolleys& he& i both had our disposable gloves on,we were let in as queued,and were some markings to 'space you apart'- all good.but there were still Lidl guys stuck in centre filling shelves,and we had to get closer than the 2metres to get round them,then we got to last aisle and what i thought was a long spaced out queue was actually some waiting for a woman to pass so they could move up to tills- she seemed to be browsing the few mags(without touching i hope) but they wouldn't move round her,no one said anything either,so i said it to my son loud enough & she must have heard& began moving!( i need my son to help as ive got arthritis in knees& now arms& wrists too,so we go together) we walk apart instore usually anyway as he wanders off to find things.

Beanie654321 Tue 31-Mar-20 12:07:59

I have just returned from my 30 mins of exercise. I haven't been off my property for over 3 weeks and I shall not do it again, my anxiety was through the roof. I've been outside in the garden every day as I am trying to remodel garden so getting fresh air. It wasn't the walkers that bothered me but the bikers who think that riding on the pavement is acceptable. I had to walk in the road to miss a few. Home it will be for the next few weeks. Xx

gillyjp Tue 31-Mar-20 12:08:05

I agree. The worst for DH and myself is the flipping runners/joggers who come up behind you and overtake you not keeping the 2 metre rule. Makes me furious. We are so busy looking ahead ready to cross over or give oncoming walkers a wide birth we dont notice runners until they are almost breathing down our necks! Do they really think that because they are running that there's no chance of cross contamination? Ggrrr

Nannan2 Tue 31-Mar-20 12:11:51

Maybe it would be better to get a sign saying that you may have the virus i bet they'd move out of the way then!!

CherryCezzy Tue 31-Mar-20 12:12:14

Gwenisgreat1 what an absolute a......e! Did he stop when you fell? If not, what a thoroughly despicable chap.

Nanaplenty most couples could do as you suggest with one of them staying in the car and it is a sensible solution.
There are some, however, who cannot do this as in their particular case it would not be sensible and they don't have any choice. It still doesn't mean that these couples should not obey social distancing guidance though. We all need to act responsibly.

Lizbethann55 Tue 31-Mar-20 12:17:46

Pre Corona. I was at a cash machine one day and two men came and stood right behind me which made me feel quite uncomfortable. I just turned and said "could you just step back a bit please?". They looked surprised , but did so. They were probably two of the nicest men in the world, but then again, they may not. Sometimes, the simplest, most obvious, inoffensive solutions are the best. If someone is too close, just smile nicely and ask them to move.

Nannan2 Tue 31-Mar-20 12:33:11

I mentioned other day when i had walked to collect a dental prescription as i was in agony, id gone in chemist,gloves on,(2 at a time only) then took antibiotics from paper bag& went towards bin to dispose of it when a girl from a group of 3 just wandered straight across my path,(the 2 guys going behind but at least far away)- they'd already been just stood about near shops,(making everyone go right around them), with their dogs racing up& down,(this is a regular occurrence near there with workshy layabouts hanging around)it is the unthinking idiots like these who are spreading it thinking it won't effect them! Who do they think IS getting it/ passing it on then? Everyone,everywhere needs to be considered a danger until it is erradicated.From now on the term "spaced out" means something totally different than it used to! They need to all understand that.

Cronaca Tue 31-Mar-20 12:33:55

I’m not surprised there are more men with the virus. Women in local supermarket carefully keeping distance: ALL the men walked closely to shoppers to get where they wanted to go.

Damdee Tue 31-Mar-20 12:44:32

Craftycat, I am in Surrey too and although I go out walking very early as soon as it gets light 5.45am-ish, I still usually see one or two joggers. By going out so early I avoid all the hassle, but I am grateful that I live in a quiet place and have nice places very near home to walk around.

4allweknow Tue 31-Mar-20 12:49:09

The stores are trying to help with spots on the floor for queuing at checkouts. The problem is when going through the store. Why do people park a trolley parallel to a counter? This takes up loads of space. Why not park the trolley at right angles? This would in the current situation help move people away from anyone at the counter/fridge etc. Also there needs to be marks of two metres throughout the stores. Pavements, I experience people out with pushchairs who stop to chat to someone across a driveway. Impossible to get past and totally ignore anyone approaching, don't even turn pushchair in. Man mind thyself at the moment!