Gransnet forums

AIBU

Why won't people MOVE out of other people's way?

(121 Posts)
Beswitched Mon 30-Mar-20 12:50:44

I've heard of so many people who have given up going out for their daily walk here in Ireland because they spend the entire time hopping off the pavement and out onto the road to get out of the way of people who seem to want to hog the entire pavement.
Family groups are the worst. It never seems to occur to them to bunch up or go in single file when they meet on comers. They just barge on and expect everyone to work around them.
Surely people should be aware of others and stop giving people a choice of brushing up against them, or stepping out into the road.

I know the chances of catching covid 19 like this are small, but at the moment advice is to observe the 2 mtr rule and people are not comfortable with others coming too close.

Tinydancer Tue 31-Mar-20 17:05:39

I agree with Bobo. Joggers are the worst whilst panting heavily. Everyone else no problem.

ValerieF Tue 31-Mar-20 17:06:09

Pikachu...sorry I haven't even read your post so I wasn't aiming at you in any way. I was responding to the original poster and not being smug, just being extremely grateful, and also saying I don't mind if it is ME that has to move into the road. Just to clarify.

cupcake1 Tue 31-Mar-20 17:14:58

I went to Tesco today and two 85+ year olds were behind me totally oblivious and unaware. Twice I had to say would you mind stepping back and adhere the 2m rule (while wildly flapping my arms!) he looked and smirked and carried on regardless. Another elderly couple ahead of the lady in front of me were as bad. They should not have been in there with the general public in the first place there are time slots for the old and vulnerable which they definitely were. Honestly I couldn’t believe it so no not the young ‘uns for me - those I’ve passed on my walk are pleasant and say thank you if I step out of the way. I’m no spring chicken being in my late 60’s but I was truly shocked today.

Jellaway Tue 31-Mar-20 17:57:17

How funny. We have lots of sensible people giving wide berth and nodding & smiling. But yes, joggers are just jogging straight past too close and cyclists go past too close and the single men were walking down the middle where you couldn’t leave a 2m gap.

Londonwifi Tue 31-Mar-20 18:23:04

The problem is this. We were taught manners by our parents and they were reinforced at school.
A lot of parents don’t teach manners now. It’s a me, me, me situation. Awful!

gagsy Tue 31-Mar-20 18:38:20

The young are immortal. Don’t you remember!

Calendargirl Tue 31-Mar-20 19:02:51

Reading these posts, so glad I live in a quiet area where it’s easy to avoid others. Yes, there are walkers, dog owners, joggers, cyclists, but lots of space for all.

?‍♀️??‍♀️?‍?

MawB Tue 31-Mar-20 19:27:36

Prestbury gringrin

kathsue Tue 31-Mar-20 20:24:10

Most people round here have been very good about keeping their distance and crossing over the road when I'm out walking my dog. But I've just walked up to the local shop with my GS and my dog. GS went in the shop while I waited round the corner where there is plenty of space. A man came along the pavement and started stroking my dog. I was backing away from him and he said " Don't worry love I ain't got the corona virus" I said he didn't know that and he turned quite nasty. Told me I shouldn't be out if I was that worried and I should keep the dog in the f***ing garden. He walked off calling me a stupid c***. I felt really shaken afterwards.

Callistemon Wed 01-Apr-20 00:32:16

prestbury can I borrow her?
grin

Callistemon Wed 01-Apr-20 00:36:13

kathsue it is bringing out the worst in some people, unfortunately.
I have just heard that a member of my family, frontline worker, received a load of foul mouthed abuse from a couple the other day.

fatgran57 Wed 01-Apr-20 02:14:19

I could not agree more - for years when I am out walking I am ALWAYS the one who has to leave the footpath and walk on the grass, trying to avoid the dog poo which is invariably just near my feet!

When my husband was still able to walk with me he would go in front and the other person/people would give way as he is tall and looks no-nonsense!

Now that he is unable to walk very far, I am constantly arriving home furious and a story to tell of ignorant people.

When we were children we were taught to always go into single file when we met another person on the footpath. This was really drilled into us, and far fewer people around then.

My husband has given me a few pointers so now I keep nearest the fence, don't look at the person coming towards me and just keep on powering ahead, sometimes I will pretend to be studying my phone and don't look up, all these tactics have worked sometimes.

I always give the footpath to a mother with a pram, people on mobility scooters, older people than me etc. Nearly always the young mother with the pram will not acknowledge me in any way - I may as well be invisible, very bad manners. Sometimes if I am in a bit of a mood I will call out "You're welcome" in a nice friendly voicegrin

I teach my grandchildren to always walk in single file if we meet other people.

hondagirl Wed 01-Apr-20 06:40:19

A friend was in our local Aldi yesterday. I know you can get shopping delivered but she is on a budget and has always shopped at Aldi. Standing in the queue a young man came up very close behind her ignoring the markings. She politely asked him to step back saying he should be observing the social distancing. His response was ' I don't give a fxxx.' I think more security is needed in supermarkets. With all the clubs and pubs shut there must be security staff who are out of work now.

Beswitched Wed 01-Apr-20 13:47:55

Valerie I wasn't suggesting that whole families should move out onto the road. I was suggesting they make an effort to move to one side or go in single file when passing others. Or at the very least they could stand and wait for traffic to pass so that the other person can step off the kerb safely, not just keep barrelling forward en masse with no consideration for anyone else.

Smileless2012 Wed 01-Apr-20 13:53:21

What an awful thing to happen kathsueangry I'm not surprised you were shaken; I hope you're OK nowflowers

Spangles1963 Tue 14-Apr-20 18:24:55

I've always experienced this,even before this virus pandemic. I think it's because I'm disabled and middle aged. They obviously think that I'm not as important as they are,therefore it should be me who has to move into the road or walk on the (muddy) grass verge). I don't give into the vast majority of them,and the look on their faces when I stand my ground is priceless.

Soupy Tue 14-Apr-20 18:31:39

I really don't mind moving into the road or whatever to pass people at an extremely safe distance but why, when they are a couple, can't they just keep together so I don't have to hang around waiting for them both to take their time to go past?!

This happened with a couple older than me today, where the husband was walking on the path so I crossed to the other side, only to find the wife approaching me close to my side of the narrow road! Grrrr

Beswitched Thu 16-Apr-20 14:00:53

I was walking down my road yesterday and encountered a couple where the wife had crossed the road to talk to some neighbours who were sitting in their garden, and the husband stood on the other side of the road waiting for her. So taking up both pavements between them.

Also, glad to see the message about only one member of a family going into a shop has got through, but do the other members have to congregate right outside the door while waiting for them?

I know I sound grumpy but some people are making social distancing very difficult. A friend of mine was basically sneered at by some moron when she asked him if he could give her some space to pass him by. He just said 'it's fine' and kept on going

skunkhair63 Mon 20-Apr-20 19:59:17

In the supermarket, the worst problem I have encountered is men talking into their phones. For example "They've got the banana and chocolate flakes Muller, or do you like the Vanilla Chocolate Balls...", all the while randomly picking up yoghurts and putting them back, whilst waiting for instructions from whoever he was talking to. I had to stand for what seemed like ages while he finally made his choice, and then had to avoid all the yoghurts that he had touched!
Everyone on their phones seems completely oblivious to everyone around them. And the people who stand a metre away from the shelves, for far too long, visually scanning the goods, who have to be politely asked "Can I get past you, please?"
It doesn't help that I am also doing the shopping for another person who is having to self-isolate, requiring even more stress at the checkout! I have stayed up late, night after night, desperately trying to get a delivery slot so I can avoid the supermarket altogether (Asda are coming 30th April - Hurrah!). I never enjoyed food shopping before Lockdown. Now, I absolutely HATE it! angry

storynanny Mon 20-Apr-20 22:47:38

We are very lucky in my town and have lots of cycle tracks. They are shared with pedestrians, clearly demarcated with a white line down the middle and painted symbols on the paths. Never before on my cycling outings have I seen some many families and dog walkers out for their daily exercise and spread out all over both sides of the line.
I don’t like to ring my bell as it feels rude, but just say “ just cycling past you on the right side”
With varying responses!