Gransnet forums

AIBU

Terry Nappies

(67 Posts)
granma47 Tue 07-Apr-20 08:28:38

I have watched an article on breakfast tv about mums unable to access disposable nappies and there being a nappy bank to help out. Perhaps it is time to start donating terry nappies to these mums to start a new but old trend or is that just me being unreasonable.

LullyDully Tue 07-Apr-20 08:32:56

Then you need a washing machine and somewhere to dry them. Not to mention the smell of them soaking. Disposable nappies are so easy but bring huge environmental concerns.

TwiceAsNice Tue 07-Apr-20 08:34:53

I loved the terry nappies and only used disposables when we went on holiday. I agree with you granma47. Young mums give them a try!

Lucca Tue 07-Apr-20 08:47:29

Fine if you have a good working washing machine and garden to hang washing in, and/or tumble dryer (which uses a lot of energy). There are more modern reusable nappy solutions though which require small volume of washing.

gillybob Tue 07-Apr-20 08:56:47

I wouldn’t wish terry nappies on any young mum .

When my son was a baby I lived in an upstairs flat with no outside space at all. That permanent stench of nappies steeping in a bucket and then pulling out the bloomin’ twin tub washing machine and trying to get them dry hanging all over the place. Yuk .

I think they need to come up with some more environmentally friendly disposables.

pinkwallpaper Tue 07-Apr-20 08:58:01

My daughter in law has used for 14 months with no problem but does have washing machine and garden to hang out. Interestingly they are already sitting her on potty and hope to toilet train her by ages two at latest. My other grandchildren were in disposable nappies till nearly three.

Maggiemaybe Tue 07-Apr-20 09:01:20

I loved the terries for the brief happy period when they were flapping on the line in the sunshine, all bright and fresh.

Ruddy hated them when I had my hands down the toilet bowl flushing the poo, or was elbow deep in that foul nappy bucket soup wringing them out with sore, red hands before throwing them in the machine. And they leaked! Remember the poo oozing out the sides and staining your baby’s best outfit? And the baby’s sore bum if you couldn’t change them as soon as they were wet?

If it weren’t for the environmental impact it’d be disposables for me any day.

GrannyLaine Tue 07-Apr-20 09:17:45

Maggiemaybe what an honest summing up. That's exactly how I feel. Often distance lends enchantment......

Missfoodlove Tue 07-Apr-20 09:27:06

There are really sophisticated reusable nappies now.

The terry clips on to some really soft waterproof plastic pants, not nasty hard ones like we used to have, they are leakproof and comfortable.

There is no need to use disposable nappies.

They are expensive but in the long term work out cheaper than disposable.

JackyB Tue 07-Apr-20 09:34:43

Here in Germany they didn't use Terry nappies. They only had muslin ones. Both my DiLs have always avoided disposables when they could.

CassieJ Tue 07-Apr-20 09:35:34

My son ad DIL in Canada use a scheme for reusable nappies. They get clean ones delivered and they take the soiled ones away. They come in all sizes depending on the size of the child. They have been using this scheme for 3 years with two children and it works well.
They are totally different to the terry nappies that we used.

JackyB Tue 07-Apr-20 09:36:55

However, I think there have been studies weighing the environmental impact of the washing of re-usables versus the disposing of disposables and it came out evens. May have been biased, though, if it was financed by the manufacturers of disposables.

Lynnipinny Tue 07-Apr-20 09:40:47

I thought disposable were expensive but convenient. But when going through a divorce I could not afford them terrys were ok in the summer a nightmare in winter. I got my son potty trained about 12 months old when he started walking.

eazybee Tue 07-Apr-20 09:46:15

I used terry nappies for my children but wouldn't wish them on young mothers. I was at home when my children were small, had a twin tub but no dryer, and used an outside space to dry them or the rack over the bath. But those buckets in the bath, sluicing them down the loo, and the smell!
Disposable nappies at the time were very inefficient and only used if we were out, and usually meant a complete change of clothes, baby, when we returned.
But I do appreciate disposal is a huge problem.

Calendargirl Tue 07-Apr-20 09:56:07

I only ever used terry nappies, but my children are well in their 40’s. I think children back then were toilet trained much sooner, as it reduced the washing. When DS and DIL had their first baby, fifteen years ago, I was rather horrified at how many disposables they went through, and grieved to think of the number that were put out to landfill. Don’t think many mums nowadays would relinquish the easier option.

silverlining48 Tue 07-Apr-20 09:59:23

We hadn’t heard of disposable nappies when my two were small in the late 70s. I thought we were luckier than previous generations because we had the little liners which were placed inside the nappy in the hope that some if not all of the poo was caught there. Of course that didn’t always happen and Maggie describes it well.
The upside was most were out if nappies by the age of 2 or often younger. My first was dry at 20 months. Nothing like a stinking disgusting nappy bucket in the corner of the kitchen to encourage potty training.

MawB Tue 07-Apr-20 10:03:06

The “new” reusable nappies are a very different matter from the ones we used on our babies. But even then I remember “shaped” nappies from Mothercare which were much neater than terry squares folded into a triangle. I used to use muslin liners which were quicker to dry but looking back, did we really flush disposable nappy liners down the loo?
No wonder our sewers are in a state!

Calendargirl Tue 07-Apr-20 10:19:40

Yes MawB we did flush nappy liners down the loo, and also tampons, because it said on the packets that was how to dispose of them. No one thought about fatbergs back then.

Maggiemaybe Tue 07-Apr-20 11:07:42

I don’t think I had disposable liners, just the little cloth ones. I always thought the shaped nappies leaked more than the folded squares. Perhaps my babies were the wrong shape. grin

Hetty58 Tue 07-Apr-20 11:16:36

My daughter uses the new shaped terry ones when she's at home. When away, she'll use disposables.

I well remember the permanent lidded bucket of bleach and nappies in the bath when my four were young. Yes, they were all trained by two years old.

Now, we have extra assistants in primary schools to help those in reception still in nappies!

LullyDully Tue 07-Apr-20 11:27:05

I am sure children were quicker to train because they must have found those Terry nappies restricted them . The disposable ones look so much more comfortable so why not continue to use them from a child's point of view. Swings and roundabouts.

Ealdemodor Tue 07-Apr-20 11:31:30

As most new mums are in their 30s, knackered before they start, having worked up to the last minute, then under pressure to get back to work ASAP, I can’t see much future for Terry nappies.

sodapop Tue 07-Apr-20 12:50:02

I'm sure you are right LullyDully Terry nappies were so uncomfortable.

There were no disposable nappies when my children were babies, I remember the smelly bucket and trying to get them dry when it was raining. No tumble driers and only twin tub washers. I had a zinc tub to boil the nappies on top of the cooker. It was good to see a row of white nappies blowing on the line but I wouldn't want to do it again

Calendargirl Tue 07-Apr-20 13:01:23

Hetty

Re schools supervising toilet training. When my children were young, they could not attend the council run nursery at three years old if they were still in nappies. Another reason to have them trained.

Calendargirl Tue 07-Apr-20 13:05:49

And working to the last minute? I started my maternity leave at 28 weeks, 1974, because that was when you left work. Don’t recall any discussion about it. Probably because back then, certainly in our rural area, can hardly remember any new mums went back to work.
Having a baby meant leaving work and becoming a ‘proper mum and housewife’.
How times change.