Gransnet forums

AIBU

Washing machine broken! Any hints on hand washing?

(43 Posts)
ExD Wed 08-Apr-20 09:22:10

My washer stopped working a couple of weeks after the warranty ended (of course).
(now I DO think thats unreasonable!)
It just wouldn't switch 'on' - so I checked the fuse in the plug.
Hubby checked a fuse in the machine (don't ask me where THAT was),
And I checked the socket on the wall by plugging a hairdryer in it.
So I rang my friendly electrician who said he was no longer coming out to make visits, although he said with that particular model it was usually just a little diode (?) on the motherboard (?) and easily fixed.
So I'm washing by hand.
And there's the rub(!) Wringing out the clothes! My poor 80 year old hands just can't cope with wringing out the wet washing - and no mangle in sight.
I remember my mother during the war, boiling and possing in a tub and using a hand cranked wringer that almost ironed the sheets and towels whilst squeezing the water out. I used to find it magical.
Any hints?

midgey Wed 08-Apr-20 09:25:58

Good luck, at least the weather is good at present. It’s just plain hard work isn’t it. flowers

travelsafar Wed 08-Apr-20 09:28:09

I for one would put smaller items in a bath towel and you and hubby could then take each end and twist thereby squeezing out as much water as possible. Other than that see is there is a local laundry still operating and get them to do larger items such as bed linen and towels, that is if they are collecting and delivering.

Gemini17892 Wed 08-Apr-20 09:29:43

Take your smalls on your daily walk down to the river bank and hit them on the stones. Should do it ! ???

gillybob Wed 08-Apr-20 09:30:49

Firstly a washing has to be fit for purpose and manufacturers can no longer get away with a 12 month warranty ExD so I think you should contact them ASAP.

Sorry No advice on hand washing . I do a fair bit of it myself but then always use the spin cycle in my machine. I would love a good old fashioned mangle .

Grannybags Wed 08-Apr-20 09:31:06

My Granny used to don a big rubber apron and wellies on washing day!

Washing day was always on Monday any small hand washing done on another day she called "sop washing"

Doesn't help you I'm afraid ExD but it made me smile smile

gillybob Wed 08-Apr-20 09:31:13

Sorry .....First line should read washing machine

GagaJo Wed 08-Apr-20 09:32:16

I would wash them in small batches. Maybe 6 articles at once. Plenty of agitation in the sink is necessary. Maybe soak for 10 minutes first to make it easier.

Don't worry too much about wringing. Wash clothes. Let them drain in a sink for 10 mins or so. Rinse repeatedly (at LEAST 3 times, more if the water is still soapy while rinsing) leaving to drain in between. Add fabric conditioner to final rinse if you use it.

Get husband to take them out to drip dry on the line.

I handwash a lot of my work clothes and tights to extend their life. (It works, I have work dresses I have worn for over 5 years still in good condition due to careful washing and not tumble drying).

Fran3669 Wed 08-Apr-20 09:34:30

I wash quite a few things by hand but, instead of trying to twist in a towel, I lay them on a bath towel then fold or roll it up on the bathroom floor (tiled not carpeted).

I then walk all over the towel, a bit like treading grapes, and the washing comes out a lot drier and not twisted out of shape either.

craftyone Wed 08-Apr-20 09:37:02

a portable hand cranked mini spinner, like the ones that families can take camping

Lucca Wed 08-Apr-20 09:38:51

Naturism?

Bad luck though.

Mamissimo Wed 08-Apr-20 09:39:33

I think I would go to my local FB page or Nextdoor group and ask if anyone knows of a washing machine repair service that’s working in your area - and can recommend them. Some services are still running and they take precautions regarding distancing and cleanliness while they are with you.
Good luck!

Hetty58 Wed 08-Apr-20 09:40:27

Washing by hand - at 80! It's hard work! I really don't think you should do it (apart from your smalls).

Is there any way that you could get someone else to do your laundry? Are there family, neighbours or friends that would collect and deliver it? Please ask them for help!

Hetty58 Wed 08-Apr-20 09:40:29

Washing by hand - at 80! It's hard work! I really don't think you should do it (apart from your smalls).

Is there any way that you could get someone else to do your laundry? Are there family, neighbours or friends that would collect and deliver it? Please ask them for help!

Gemini17892 Wed 08-Apr-20 09:41:44

Fran , when I tread my grapes like that I get bits all over the towel and have to wash it ! ?

Feeling a bit silly this morning. Must be the weetabix. It’s been in the cupboard since 2019BC .

gillybob Wed 08-Apr-20 09:43:09

My DH and I have been known to take an end each and twist in opposite directions . Mind you the garment dries a bit twisty .

annsixty Wed 08-Apr-20 09:43:41

I do jumpers in the way Fran describes using the rolled up bath sheet, it really gets a lot of water out.
Trampling is quite therapeutic.

Lovetopaint037 Wed 08-Apr-20 09:52:05

I should ring the manufacturer. Although they say one year I believe the EU states two years. I think that is why they are often flexible when not long out of date. I also wonder if that is why John Lewis give two years.

Auntieflo Wed 08-Apr-20 09:55:59

Before she had a washing machine, my aunt used to put things in the bath, and then tread up and down on them, but I don't remember her telling me how she got things dry.

The tip about putting items in a towel and then twisting is a good one. I've done it when on holiday, and wanted something quickly.

Good luck with finding a repair man, but as Gilly says, a washing machine should last long beyond it's guarantee.

B9exchange Wed 08-Apr-20 09:57:56

Launderettes are allowed to stay open, try covidmutualaid.org/ and see if someone could get yours to the launderette and back if the shop isn't doing collect and deliver services?
I don't know where you live, but just googling Laundry - collect and deliver might find you one locally.
Repair of a washing machine would be deemed an essential journey, so do try other firms.

We have a completely rotten window that will fall out with the next storm. Our repairer was turned back by the police because he had the word 'renovations' on his van! angry sad

Elegran Wed 08-Apr-20 10:10:59

Wash and rinse a few things at a time, as Gagajo describes. Lift the wet clothes out onto the draining board, put a colander into the empty sink, and drop one of the wet clothes into it. Press down on it to squidge out as much water as you can, pick it up and drop it in a different shape and squidge it again, then move it into a bucket or bowl. That gets out quite a lot of the free water. (I used to do that while camping with three small children. I'm afraid today's mums would be horrified by how long they wore their clothes before I gave in and washed them) Repeat with each of the other things, one at a time. Or you may be able to squeeze small things in your poor old hands without actually wringing them.

If the weather is decent, getting them outdoors where they can drip will dry them. If not, rig something up over the bath or in the shower.

Callistemon Wed 08-Apr-20 10:26:51

Oh dear, bad luck, what a time for it to happen.

Yes, the towel method works but then you have towels to dry too.
If I handwash newly knitted garments I just put them on a towel, fold it over and press down to get excess water out before blocking.

DH mentioned that, if needs be, we still have a very old spin drier somewhere in the garage. Do you have one or has one of your neighbours for one you could borrow?
I was without a washing machine for months when we moved house years ago, that's when I bought the spin drier.

Callistemon Wed 08-Apr-20 10:27:28

Got one, not for one

25Avalon Wed 08-Apr-20 10:27:56

Doing all the washing by hand including bedding for the next 2 months isn't going to be a barrel load of fun to put it bluntly. Electricians and plumbers are still permitted to work so I suggest you try to find an electrician who will importantly follow the regulations for those who are self isolating which I assume you are. Have you got a neighbourhood helpline you could contact to see if they can recommend somebody in these circumstances? Or try Age Concern? Could your friendly electrician recommend somebody else maybe?

Callistemon Wed 08-Apr-20 10:29:37

And, shhh, don't tell anyone, but, as long as you change under-clothes daily, you don't have to change your outer clothes so often if you're self-isolating