Gransnet forums

AIBU

Neighbour has Grandson with her on Easter Sunday .

(241 Posts)
3nanny6 Sun 12-Apr-20 13:11:30

Am I an unreasonable neighbour to feel I am in the wrong for not wanting my daughter and children at my home on Easter day. (My daughter would not bring her children at the moment anyway)
The reason I ask is because my next door neighbour is outside talking to another neighbour whilst at the same time kissing and holding her two and a half year old grandson. The neighbours son (father of the child) does not even live next door so he has brought the child to see his grand-mother. I admit to feeling envious as yesterday when I took
my GC some Easter eggs I had to be thankful for a wave from the window. The neighbours GC is one week younger than my GC and when they were going to be born we would speculate which mother would give birth first.
They have gone in her house now and the childs mother has arrived as well so looks like they are all going to have lunch together. I know it is unreasonable to feel envious but I do.

Washerwoman Sat 18-Apr-20 21:17:50

Thanks.That's good to know.Glad your sister is recovering. I've heard of a couple of others ill at home but on the mend.Reassuring .

SirChenjin Sat 18-Apr-20 20:32:45

Fit and healthy

SirChenjin Sat 18-Apr-20 20:32:28

My sister has it - she’s a community nurse and picked it up from one of her patients - and she said the tiredness has really surprised her. She’s only in her forties and for and healthy, but the breathlessness and exhaustion have floored her. She’s back at work now on the office so it’s all good, but just go easy on yourself, I think it does take a long time to recover.

Washerwoman Sat 18-Apr-20 18:22:18

Thank you so much. Don't want to jinx it but generally a lot better today.Just this pesky temperature rise later in the day which is still too high to come out of isolation, but not as bad.I have had a mild dose but pretty certain it's CV.SIL is now ill and just heard tested +ve today.
And DD got tested too and so far negative but most likely will develop.Not in our household.But he's been out on patrol asking people to behave responsibly in an area that that had a still too high number of people not taking social distancing seriously . So hardly a surprise.Fingers xd.

SirChenjin Sat 18-Apr-20 16:59:46

It really is an awful illness - I hope you’re feeling better soon Washerwoman thanks

Callistemon Sat 18-Apr-20 16:34:28

I hope you feel better soon, Washerwoman, take care of yourself.

Washerwoman Fri 17-Apr-20 21:22:19

Well I'm a week into high temperatures ,aches and tight chest.Thankfully improving although the temperature persists. I would err on the side of caution all of you.Barring one short trip to a small super market where it was one in one out,although several people did push in front once inside ,a daily dog walk in woods and a trip every other day to take a meal to my housebound mum I have gone nowhere since lockdown.And no - one has been to our house.Please don't get complacent.And please understand why even if we don't report those that have guests, not essential carers ,in and out some if us have front line workers in our families and I feel we're perfectly entitled to feel annoyed.

GrannyLaine Fri 17-Apr-20 18:58:45

The significant word there is 'generally'
I'm sure that your passionate belief in your own theory of safety will protect you vampirequeen. The minute virus is known to be suspended in air for quite some time after being expelled from an infected person and at some point you do have to move within your communal garden.

vegansrock Fri 17-Apr-20 18:43:25

A communal garden is different isn’t it- you hopefully won’t be using each other’s toilet or serving food and drinks etc. Where I live we have small private gardens but also some communal gardens where some families go individually but not together. When we had our Easter Sunday Concert, the musician family was in the communal area, but others watched from their doorways or windows. We could wave and talk to others but from a distance of about 4 metres. A gathering in a private garden from different households certainly goes against the advice.

vampirequeen Fri 17-Apr-20 18:32:13

"generally over short distances."

Hence 2m or more apart. If I'm 2+m away from my neighbour in our communal garden and neither of us touch anything that has been touched by the other then there is no harm in us being outside at the same time.

GrannyLaine Fri 17-Apr-20 16:43:39

@vampirequeen
from the NHS coronavirus website

Definition of ‘droplet’

Respiratory droplets carrying infectious pathogens can transmit infection when they travel directly from the respiratory tract of an infectious individual to susceptible mucosal surfaces of a recipient, generally over short distances. This can be in the form of sneezing, coughing or speaking

MissAdventure Fri 17-Apr-20 16:27:13

People can catch COVID-19 from others who have the virus. The disease can spread from person to person through small droplets from the nose or mouth which are spread when a person with COVID-19 coughs or exhales. These droplets land on objects and surfaces around the person. Other people then catch COVID-19 by touching these objects or surfaces, then touching their eyes, nose or mouth. People can also catch COVID-19 if they breathe in droplets from a person with COVID-19 who coughs out or exhales droplets. This is why it is important to stay more than 1 meter (3 feet) away from a person who is sick.

WHO is assessing ongoing research on the ways COVID-19 is spread and will continue to share updated findings.

vampirequeen Fri 17-Apr-20 15:54:54

Where is the evidence that it's an airborne virus? It's shared through droplets. If I don't sneeze or cough or touch someone how can I transfer it?

Callistemon Fri 17-Apr-20 15:48:55

The jury is still out on whether aerosol transmission can occur and for how long, although some scientists state that they believe that is definitely the case.

GrannyLaine Fri 17-Apr-20 14:57:40

vampirequeen
Carbon Dioxide is neither here nor there and what you say is patently not correct. Viruses exhaled in expired breath hang around in the air whether it's still or moving. The common aim (for most of us anyway) is to minimise the habitat for the virus so that infection levels can be kept low enough for the NHS to cope. But I expect you know that....

3nanny6 Fri 17-Apr-20 14:38:03

Something Franbern said about coming out of lockdown has made me think about being safe when this happens.
If others are like myself and have been doing constant hand washing
using Dettol, disinfectants, bleach, surface top wipe cloths and basically sanitising our homes as much as possible then we are going to be so sterile when we begin to relax these measures that we will be prone to any viruses/germs going around. I wear a mask only in large supermarkets as people do come close sometimes and I also have my hand sanitizer on me and wipe the trolley handles down. I am more worried what we can catch when the time comes to stop being this sterile.

SirChenjin Fri 17-Apr-20 13:26:11

If you walked rather than drove to the garden, didn’t touch anything that someone else touched or was likely to touch, didn’t cough or sneeze and stayed at least 2m away from the other people then you might be OK.

Anything else - forget it.

vampirequeen Fri 17-Apr-20 13:06:02

Sitting still in a garden, everyone soon builds up their cloud of exhaled air, litres and litres of it.

If that happened I'd be sitting in a cloud of carbon dioxide and die. When you're outside the air is constantly on the move. And no we weren't sitting up or down wind of each other.

Daddima Fri 17-Apr-20 12:51:40

Franbern is correct. I’m seeing so many people on sites thinking that when lockdown ends we’ll be back to normal. The lockdown is only to slow down the rate at which people get ill, so that the NHS can cope. Just this morning I saw people saying their foreign holiday isn’t till the middle of May, so they’re looking forward to going.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 17-Apr-20 11:37:27

Have friends in Sweden and they are very worried/frightened (one is a senior nurse).

suziewoozie Fri 17-Apr-20 11:18:42

The myth about Sweden is really quite dangerous - it’s being peddled all over the place by people who just think there’s a magic answer to the crisis

SirChenjin Fri 17-Apr-20 11:05:24

There’s a really interesting article about the situation in Sweden - certainly not as rosy as some would like to believe www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/15/sweden-coronavirus-death-toll-reaches-1000

GrannyLaine Fri 17-Apr-20 10:53:19

What's the difference between social distancing in the street and social distancing in a garden? We have a communal garden. We sit outside and chat to our neighbours who share the garden. We sit at least 2m apart....

It seems incredible that this needs to be spelled out to some. The difference is timescale: social distancing is TRANSIENT contact. Sitting still in a garden, everyone soon builds up their cloud of exhaled air, litres and litres of it. Anyone who is incubating the virus in their lungs WILL pass it on to others without touching anyone present.
And for those who don't know the difference between 6 feet and 6 metres........... there is no hope.

suziewoozie Fri 17-Apr-20 09:36:25

It’s a myth that it’s ‘business as usual’ in Sweden.Its much more nuanced than that
www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/04/can-you-beat-covid-19-without-a-lockdown-sweden-is-trying

Franbern Fri 17-Apr-20 09:11:55

The whole strategy (well, the one in use at present - not the one they started out with), is to spread out the number of people getting this virus at any one time, so that those that require medical health, will have more of a chance of obtaining this.
There is no way, at present, of stopping this virus from affecting the larger proportion of the population, it is a very high infection rate virus (fortunately, a small percentage of morbitity).
Do think too many people are under the illusion that when lock-down end, they will come out slowly, and be safe. Not the case.....people leaving isolation are going to be just as likely to get the virus as they ever were. Hopefully, by then there will be medical space and facilities to treat those who will need it. On the other hand, the majority of people catching this virus do not require any sort of medical help, and recover within a week or two themselves.
Until such time as a vaccine is in place, this virus is going to be around, whatever we do.
Sweden started off with a far greater ability to cope with those who would require medical intervention, they had not had a decade of severe cut-backs to their social and medical services.
Yes, it will be very interesting to see if they - who alone are trying a different method - have a much higher death rate than the other countries who went into lockdown. Obviously, they will be the only country who is likely to come out of this without severe austerity, unemployment and recession