Gransnet forums

AIBU

Corona Child Care Rant

(59 Posts)
Granarchist Mon 13-Apr-20 10:03:47

Just needing to vent. My DD is returning to work (NHS frontline) after maternity leave. DGD booked into nursery. Both parents key workers. Nursery has closed - no options for key workers. Daughter has found second nursery and nursery Number 1 is insisting on full fees continuing to be paid. Very aggressive emails. This would mean DD paying more in child care than she is earning. We are telling her to tough it out - I cannot see them taking her to court. But she is upset that she may be prevented from returning to work when her speciality is really vital to her patients.

Rosina Wed 15-Apr-20 15:21:44

How bad is this - she should not be put into such a stressful situation when she must be struggling so hard to cope with work. I would let the local newspapers know about this nursery, and shame them. Many businesses are struggling to keep going but not heaping extra stress on to key workers.

Craicon Wed 15-Apr-20 16:33:38

Bailiffs? They’re either bluffing or telling outright lies.

You can only use bailiff services to pursue a debt after obtaining a court order.

Ordinary debt collection agencies are entirely different animals and have NO LEGAL POWERS.
They can ask you to agree a payment plan but your daughter should refuse to engage with them and tell the nursery to take her to court.

I doubt the nursery will risk court action.
The court will ask the nursery to prove their case with evidence of breach of a contractual agreement (!) and your daughter will counter with the fact that they are in breach of contract because they are charging her for a service that they have withdrawn.

Granarchist Wed 15-Apr-20 16:44:26

They have now said the County Council should be reimbursing them - where on earth did they get that idea??? It gets weirder. I think their legal team are numpties. Or they don't have a legal team/solicitor and are winging it. Thank you all so much for advice and support - all grist to the mill. I feel their reputation is going to suffer but sadly the actual staff are brilliant and lovely - just not the owners of the business.

V3ra Wed 15-Apr-20 16:57:06

Well if the County Council will be reimbursing them (they won't be), by their own admission there is no need for your daughter to pay. Sorted ?
Honestly you wonder how some people manage to run a business in the first place!

clementine Wed 15-Apr-20 22:32:40

I sincerely hope your daughter gets sorted. My daughter who is also a key worker as is her husband had to take unpaid leave as she couldn't get childcare .

The first nursery may be amazing , but it's the second one who have gone out of their way to support and and enable your daughter to continue her job and give her the security of knowing her child is being well cared for. Personally I don't know how on earth she could ever have anything to do with the first one. Imagine going back to somewhere that had threatened you with the bailiffs !!! I know where my loyalties would lie.

Aepgirl Thu 16-Apr-20 09:35:03

I don't understand how the nursery can expect to be paid when they aren't even open. Are they asking for upfront fees for when they do reopen?

clementine Thu 16-Apr-20 11:57:00

Just wondering has the little one actually been attending the nursery whilst your daughter has been off on Maternity leave, if so I can see how it might be unsettling to go to a different one, however seeing as she is there already and it seems to be going ok, would it be better to just continue with it. let the other one sing for their money !! Terrible behaviour. When everyone is doing all they can to help the NHS they are threating her with court action .

Molli Fri 01-May-20 17:19:37

Granarchist Did your daughter get this awful situation with the nursery sorted?