Gransnet forums

AIBU

A dog called Dibble

(19 Posts)
Alishka Thu 23-Apr-20 16:02:05

grin AGAA4 nope!, ain't that the truthgrin

AGAA4 Thu 23-Apr-20 15:44:09

Alishka. That must have looked very funny. Dogs just don't understand social distancing!

Alishka Thu 23-Apr-20 15:29:00

Funny(to me)thing happened this morning...picture the scene...ahead is a small lane, to one side the backs of gardens, to the other, an open green space, used by dog walkers
Walking up the lane, lady with dog on one of those extending leads..
Walking down the lane, another lady with another dog on a similar lead..
Dogs see each other from a distance..
YAYY a bum to sniff grin
Both dogs disregard the social isolation rule and rush towards each other to check out the bums smell
Result = social isolation goes to pot as dog owners sort out the enmeshed leads as the dogs go wild gringringrin

AGAA4 Thu 23-Apr-20 15:02:10

Thank you all for your advice. I can see that I am not the only one who has been bothered by inconsiderate owners (I don't blame the dogs)
Dibble was not around this morning so I had a peaceful walk. Maybe someone a bit braver than me has had words with Dibble's owner, but he looks like someone who would react, and not in a good way.

FlyingHandbag Thu 23-Apr-20 09:33:41

I would report it to the police! I remember being knocked over in the street by an Alsatian when I was aged around 5, on my way home from school. I screamed the street down and the dog ran away and the owner had to chase it. I love dogs but I hate when they are in charge of their owner.

Iam64 Wed 22-Apr-20 19:51:06

I'm keeping my dogs on lead but have noticed an increase in new dog walkers. I expect they're usually at work but they aren't following the advice to keep dogs on lead and seem to have little recall skills.

Yes, call to this person to keep their dog on lead. the obvious reason is we don't want people coming close to us. we had a lunatic huge Dalmatian jumping on our big dog. Dalmatian was young, off lead and took absolutely no notice of the owners attempts to call it off. Eventually, he came right up close to grab his dog, didn't apologise. His son then set a drone off, right over the head of my young small dog, who was spooked and if she hadn't been on lead, would definitely have run off
Sorry for moaning but honestly, its simple, keep your dogs on leads during this crisis.

PamGeo Wed 22-Apr-20 19:50:45

Dogs are meant to be under control at all times, if this means being on a leash because they don't respond to commands then so be it.

Next time the owner comes to get Dibble perhaps you could mention that you would be in a real pickle if Dibble knocked you over. However unintentional it would be and regardless of his lovely temperament the results for you would not be good.

Whilst some dog owners can get very precious over their little darlings some are very understandable. If all else fails, start wearing a body cam and report the owner if you feel the need to.

Niobe Wed 22-Apr-20 19:18:10

I thought that all dogs had to be on the lead during lockdown I would report it and ask the police for advice.

Callistemon Wed 22-Apr-20 18:19:59

A large and boisterous dog knocked my small DGD over and she has been quite nervous of dogs since. He was 'just being friendly' but he was not under control.
An even larger dog jumped up at her other gran, put his paws on her shoulder and tried to lick her face. Although he was just being friendly too and she was fine, it is not acceptable.

Stand still and do what Alishka says. Very firmly and loudly.

EllanVannin Wed 22-Apr-20 17:40:18

Timid I'm not grin

AGAA4 Wed 22-Apr-20 17:18:09

WW2 that would be great! I do have very feisty children who would sort him out. I am not exactly timid just rather avoid any nastiness.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-Apr-20 16:57:41

Personally I would threaten the owner with the police if the dog is at all aggressive. They will come.

It is hard though if you are a timid sort of person. You need me there??

AGAA4 Wed 22-Apr-20 16:53:25

Thank you all. I am very non-confrontational so taking people on is something I try to avoid but you are all right. This owner needs to be told!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-Apr-20 16:46:05

Oh then I’ve changed my advise. I didn’t realise that you were little.

Yes do as alishka advises.

What ever the advise the owner is out of order and needs telling!

Oh I get so irritated with irresponsible owners.

EllanVannin Wed 22-Apr-20 16:43:34

I get barked at every time I leave my front gate. Next door but one has a Jack Russell which " charges " as soon as I'm closing the gate. I'm not scared of the animal but these type of dogs can be unpredictable and if it feels like taking a chunk out of my ankle I don't know what the outcome would be because of my blood thinners, besides the inconvenience of visiting A&E.

About a month ago it did its usual charging ,yapping as it approached so I lost my rag and told it to shoo, its owner ran inside I noticed, but I said loudly that it only had to do it once more and I'd report it. The same owner allows it to " go " on the grass verges opposite my gate ! What's wrong with people ?

AGAA4 Wed 22-Apr-20 16:40:29

Thank you for your replies.
Most of the people who walk there do have dogs but obedient ones. Dibble is a big dog and I am a little old lady and he does try to jump up on me and I am afraid of him knocking me over.
I just wish people would control their dogs.

Alishka Wed 22-Apr-20 16:28:31

Not at all unreasonable, OP.
Me, I'd stand stock still, raise my hands in front of me, and say " please call your dog . I really don't like them. Thank you" Try that, OP
grin

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-Apr-20 16:25:37

He needs telling. You need to be firm and continue to walk don’t stop and if he gets in you way a firm no or whatever you feel appropriate.

AGAA4 Wed 22-Apr-20 16:19:32

For the last week or so on my walk in what is a vast area of country side, I have been visited by a dog , called Dibble, who wont let me pass.
He is a large dog and not at all aggressive but whichever way I go he puts himself in front. His owner is calling him and Dibble takes no notice so it ends up that the owner has to come and take Dibble away getting far too close to me. AIBU to ask him to keep Dibble on a lead until they get into the open parts. I do love dogs but this is getting worrying.