Gransnet forums

AIBU

TV crews on Covid wards - is it OK

(119 Posts)
dolphindaisy Thu 23-Apr-20 15:13:56

Nearly every news bulletin now seems to feature a TV crew and reporter in the wards where people are being treated. Not only are they using precious PPE but they always seem to be in the way. Patients close friends and relatives aren't allowed to visit so why let the TV crews in? Make no mistake, journalists can be very cynical, if they interview someone who breaks down in tears they will be thinking "this will make good TV"

BizzieB Tue 05-May-20 10:02:24

I agree. When I was nursing privacy was much more valued but society today seems to want an on-going soap opera. I find the voyeurism distasteful and intrusive.

Tweedle24 Sun 26-Apr-20 22:14:44

Maggiemaybe I think that is partly my point but not put across very well.
As the sister on a trauma/orthopaedic ward, I saw the brain damage caused by motorcyclists not wearing helmets. Admissions with those injuries suddenly disappeared but, it took a change in the law to get that result.
Maybe there should be stronger sanctions for those who ignore the advice given to deal with virus? I know the police are stretched already without adding to their workload but, it seems to be working in other countries. Failing that, the media can only keep pushing the message out there.

Jishere Sun 26-Apr-20 18:05:19

Well notanan2 we will have to agree to disagree. As this as been
called an invisible war and if those on the frontline can't enjoy a moment when their first virus patient had fought for a month and survived with the dedication of their help -god help there mental states. A light relief that shows you can survive from this.

This isn't just about the patient it's about the dedication of NHS staff who have to get up and go in every day and no doubt witness several deaths and I'm sure any news report blurs the face of the patient out if permission is not sort. But also quite clearly dont watch !# weareallinthistogether. Take care

notanan2 Sun 26-Apr-20 15:50:54

Depends on whether it IS the reality or whether theyre seeking out the shots they think the people want to see IYKWIM

Theyre not interviewing the staff whose clinics have been cancelled etc are they?

Hetty58 Sun 26-Apr-20 15:43:55

I agree with Hotpoch. The reality needs to be on TV. OK, there will always be those who switch off and don't want to know. There are also those who (even now) still don't really get it.

notanan2 Sun 26-Apr-20 15:35:53

Gratuitous shock tactics do not work for changing habits.

It just desensitises if its overdone

Maggiemaybe Sun 26-Apr-20 15:34:42

But Tweedle, short of tying them to a chair, we can’t make someone watch what they don’t want to. Which is where the argument about educating people falls down. Those who need educating aren’t interested.

notanan2 Sun 26-Apr-20 15:24:55

Just LOOK at the people who have been filmed! Not one of them looks elated. They look exhsusted and bewildered

notanan2 Sun 26-Apr-20 15:16:30

They weren't clapping the fact she'd nearly died - they were clapping the fact ( & the great news ) that she'd recovered! Who wouldn't feel elated.

Most people woundnt!
Have you ever been critically ill!
Its like being hit by several buses and the real psychological impact only begins to hit home when you are told you are physically out of the woods.

Elated? No! Not likely

Tweedle24 Sun 26-Apr-20 11:36:01

I agree, Hotpoch. I too am a retired nurse and am self-isolating because of age and asthma,
Maggiemaybe My point was that I suspect the rule breakers are not seeing them and should be made to.

Jishere Sun 26-Apr-20 10:45:19

Exactly Joplin after looking after her for a month, it must have been a relieve for all that it is possible to recover from this and all their hard work (NHS) have paid off. Rather then crying and feeling exhausted all the time amongst all the sadness they are seeing.

Maggiemaybe Sun 26-Apr-20 10:18:26

Well, Tweedle, they’ve been shown on most news reports for quite some time now. They’re not having much effect if things are as bad as you say in London.

Hotpoch Sun 26-Apr-20 10:16:40

As a retired nurse, I think it's important for the public to see what is going on.
I'm fearful for my kids as they both work for the NHS.
So it brings it home, that this is not like flu it is far worse.
I myself am shielding. So no grandkids or my daughter and son.
The public needs to see this.

Pussycat2012 Sun 26-Apr-20 10:14:51

Couldn’t have put it better myself Charleygirl 5

Tweedle24 Sun 26-Apr-20 09:36:49

Maybe all those people who now seem to think it is OK to flout the rules should be sat down and made to watch these newscasts.
My daughter lives in London and says that she has been to shops that are as full as a normal day, that traffic is greatly increased and few people are being careful about distancing when out and about (particularly joggers, apparently).
The more these scenes are shown, the better in my view.

sodapop Sun 26-Apr-20 08:42:11

Think its almost impossible not to realise how serious things are vegansrock as we are bombarded with information from so many sources.

vegansrock Sun 26-Apr-20 06:16:14

Many patients and their families want the reality to be shown, as do those working on the frontline. Yes it’s horrible and distressing, but everyone needs to get the message of the seriousness of the situation.

Joplin Sun 26-Apr-20 01:11:38

They weren't clapping the fact she'd nearly died - they were clapping the fact ( & the great news ) that she'd recovered! Who wouldn't feel elated.

notanan2 Sun 26-Apr-20 00:21:27

People clapping the fact I nearly died. No thanks.

notanan2 Sun 26-Apr-20 00:21:01

I would HATE one of those guard of honours if it were me...

Jishere Sat 25-Apr-20 23:29:22

But then again what about the lady who had been in a Croydon Hospital for a month fighting this virus and was given a standing ovation from the staff who had looked after her and other staff as she was leaving. This was hearting warming in so many ways!The news brings us news good or bad and its your choice whether to watch it or turn it off.

Graso Sat 25-Apr-20 22:31:13

I’m retired from the NHS and am amazed by the media coverage that’s allowed and even encouraged by NHS staff themselves these days, and I don’t just mean during the current health crisis but in such programmes as ‘24 hours in A & E’ etc.

I have never forgotten it being made crystal clear when I started in the NHS that the one thing that would lead to instant dismissal would be to breach Patient confidentiality.

That would appear to have gone out of the window entirely, indeed it seems that having a moment in the spotlight is encouraged, medical and nursing staff giving detailed accounts of their work and cameras accompanying doctors on their shift. I find it very unprofessional.

Yes people will be asked if they can be filmed and some will no doubt love it but I’m sure that at least some will only agree because they don’t want to be a spoilsport or ‘let down’ the doctors or nurses. Sick people shouldn’t have to deal with this sort of pressure.

notanan2 Sat 25-Apr-20 21:46:07

There are too many media types calling themselves keyworkers in general.

Half of them are not proper journalists, theyre just fluff reporters/presenters.

They know they wont be missed if they go on lockdown so they wont go

kevincharley Sat 25-Apr-20 21:35:58

Seeker4life has hit the nail on the head.

notanan2 Sat 25-Apr-20 20:44:40

It's gratuitous.